Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: thewobbler on June 06, 2022, 12:19:24 PM
But the cause is simple to identify: a group of established players unexpectedly won an All Ireland title. Their life goal was achieved. So some of the players sailed off into the sunset, and some more turned it down a notch. Even if there's a couple of psychotic must-win-at-all-costs leaders within the camp, it's not enough to counteract a reduction in effort and desire from so many.

Exceptionally difficult for anyone since the backdoor arrived in 2001 for anyone other then Dublin or Kerry to win back to backs All Irelands. Tyrone don't have the luxury of waltzing through their province, mentally and physically just getting out of Ulster is difficult enough.

Tyrone will be back, plenty of top underage talent to come through to freshen things up.

redzone

But the cause is simple to identify: a group of established players unexpectedly won an All Ireland title. Their life goal was achieved. So some of the players sailed off into the sunset, and some more turned it down a notch. Even if there's a couple of psychotic must-win-at-all-costs leaders within the camp, it's not enough to counteract a reduction in effort and desire from so many.
We got to the final against Dublin in 18, I think Kerry beat us 19 in the semi which we felt we could have won.So I can assure you last year's group of players truly believed they could win it, same as this year's. And next year's will be the same.

redzone

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 06, 2022, 02:03:34 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 06, 2022, 01:37:28 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 06, 2022, 12:57:08 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 06, 2022, 12:31:03 PM
But it's not, because you are just throwing out a possibility same as everyone else.
It's not one I'd subscribe to tbh, it may be part of the issue but in my view I think there were other issues. So we're hardly losing the run of ourselves to be discussing them.

Imo the issue is Tyrone played Division 1, beat a few Ulster teams but were never really genuine All Ireland contenders in the years before 2021. Dublin and Mayo were the two contenders 2015 - 2020. Tyrone got a bit of luck last season and my guess is many in the Tyrone camp knew that, and realise getting it again would be unlikely.

Tyrone 2022 are similar to Tyrone pre 2020, they'll battle on but when challenged by a good team in the championship they more than not fall the wrong side of the result. The previous management team imo worked wonders with Tyrone football and the new management team benefited off the back of that but got the luck around the semi final issues.

Tyrone will regroup but this season shouldn't be a big shock, there'll be more defeats and early exits in the years ahead whilst they rebuild.

Not winning an AI again definitely isn't a shock. But I'd have fancied them to get to the later stages at least. We usually do. More the manner in which we bowed out tbh. And the fact that we didn't click all year. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and the under age looks good. But still poses some questions.

An overlooked issue is that after winning the AI the players were playing with their clubs until Dec 2021. Then they had a holiday in Jan 2022 then straight I to mckenna cup, league and championship. There was no real time to rest and regroup and refocus like there normally is. Basically the team hadn't stopped since early 2021
Correct, wasn't to be this year so the break will be much needed
I'd like to Derry or Armagh go the whole way this year, it's been too long

Champion The Wonder Horse

But if you win one, you want to win two?

I would.

thewobbler

Quote from: redzone on June 06, 2022, 07:35:13 PM
We got to the final against Dublin in 18, I think Kerry beat us 19 in the semi which we felt we could have won.So I can assure you last year's group of players truly believed they could win it, same as this year's. And next year's will be the same.

After the 2018 final I don't think that group of players (and most of them played in 21) really believed they could beat Dublin. Just my opinion. Watching their body language after the opening quarter of that match was like watching a man who's just seen a lifetime of savings and investments wiped out in one day.

blanketattack

I suspect this may be the last we see of Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly in a Tyrone jersey, and possibly a few more withdrawals as well.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: blanketattack on June 06, 2022, 11:58:38 PM
I suspect this may be the last we see of Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly in a Tyrone jersey, and possibly a few more withdrawals as well.

Donnelly has had heavy injuries in the last few years so maybe. But they strike me as two of the most committed players in the panel, they are still not that old (30/31), so I can see them sticking around yet.

I'm sure most of the team will enjoy a long break after not really getting one for 18 months, but expect them to come back determined and focused next year.

Solo_run

Genuinely not taking the p155 here but have read some nice stories where Tyrone players have stayed behind to talk with young Armagh fans and instances occuring with players and what seems like genuine congratulations and support for Armagh going forward from Tyrone fans on here.

RedHand88

Quote from: Solo_run on June 07, 2022, 01:26:02 AM
Genuinely not taking the p155 here but have read some nice stories where Tyrone players have stayed behind to talk with young Armagh fans and instances occuring with players and what seems like genuine congratulations and support for Armagh going forward from Tyrone fans on here.

See? We're not that bad.

yellowcard

Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 07, 2022, 12:17:36 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on June 06, 2022, 11:58:38 PM

Donnelly has had heavy injuries in the last few years so maybe. But they strike me as two of the most committed players in the panel, they are still not that old (30/31), so I can see them sticking around yet.

I'm sure most of the team will enjoy a long break after not really getting one for 18 months, but expect them to come back determined and focused next year.

They have consistently been Tyrones 2 best players for the last decade. Mattie Donnelly in particular looks as though injuries have caught up with him. He seems to have lost a lot of mobility and his game was heavily dependent on physicality and strong running. Great player at his peak but I would think he is the more likely of the two to step away. Harte although quiet on Sunday, is probably still one of Tyrones better players.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 06, 2022, 02:48:25 PM

Exceptionally difficult for anyone since the backdoor arrived in 2001 for anyone other then Dublin or Kerry to win back to backs All Irelands. Tyrone don't have the luxury of waltzing through their province, mentally and physically just getting out of Ulster is difficult enough.

Tyrone will be back, plenty of top underage talent to come through to freshen things up.
It's a good while since Kerry put 2 all Irelands together. Since 2010 only Cork, Donegal, Kerry and Tyrone have won all Irelands, limited to 1 each.  Dublin won the rest.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rrhf

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2022, 03:33:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 05, 2022, 03:21:57 PM
Shows how far above everyone else Dublin have been. Mayo too. Very hard for most teams to put in the effort and energy to put back to back seasons together.
Tyrone never did back to back. Neither did Donegal. It's actually very hard to do.
last Ulster team to do it was Down in the 60s. ffs

rrhf

Quote from: illdecide on June 05, 2022, 07:36:58 PM
Not gonna lie but thought Tyrone would have had too much for us today...I was a bit shocked how poor they played and a bit shocked how well Armagh played. I said it on here two times in the last few weeks that KMcG has to play Campbell from the start and not this 25-30 min cameo role, he's too good to be on the bench and today proved it. I know he's a club mate of mine and sometimes you can be biased towards your own but not in this case...the lad when on his game is pure class. Most Armagh men played well and won their individual battles which gave them confidence as the game wore on. The draw will be tough no matter who Armagh get as History tells us we struggle to put back to back good performances together but just glad to be in the hat for tomorrow's draw.

As for Tyrone...Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say it wasn't our year and when things don't fall for you no matter how hard you try you're always against the wind, Tyrone will be back stronger next year for sure so get behind your new Armagh buddies and cheer us on for as far as we can go (hopefully we can get at the Derry wans later in the Championship). Was nice to see the crowd acknowledge the Harte and McAreavey families for the vile and utter (actually there are no words to describe these people) bigotry and sectarian abuse they received a few days ago.
Disappointed. The early season start didnt work for the champions, but we made the most of the celebrations this year which now... well Im pleased at. BAck to club football, see who is in form and have another crack at er next year.  Very important that we pick the form players in the Tyrone championship for next year.  I think time will prove we have been beaten by 2 outstanding teams this season in Derry and now Armagh.  I can see both Armagh and Donegal playing each other in an All Ireland semi final this year if the draw permits that.  Might have taken its time but Mc Geeney now has refurbished the soul of Armagh football and Tyrone seen it on Sunday. The better team won...   

An Watcher

Better team won but I'm far from convinced with this armagh team.  Derry on the other hand are a different matter

balladmaker

Quote from: rrhf on June 07, 2022, 05:13:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2022, 03:33:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 05, 2022, 03:21:57 PM
Shows how far above everyone else Dublin have been. Mayo too. Very hard for most teams to put in the effort and energy to put back to back seasons together.
Tyrone never did back to back. Neither did Donegal. It's actually very hard to do.
last Ulster team to do it was Down in the 60s. ffs

Would have been done by Armagh in 2003 ... only for the antics of Philip Jordan ...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-player-mocked-marsden-after-wrongful-dismissal-in-2003-final-26782128.html