Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

He is, the kind of player you would want your son to emulate

J70

Rogers is a class act. As is McKaigue. Delighted to see a man like him lift the trophy at last.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Silver hill on June 02, 2022, 09:47:36 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 02, 2022, 12:40:37 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on June 02, 2022, 12:33:55 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 01, 2022, 09:36:45 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on June 01, 2022, 08:02:36 AM

"Opinions are great but the reality is that Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal and Armagh were all in Division One this year and Derry and Down, albeit they were relegated, in Division Two so that's six out of the province in the top two divisions.

"There's no other province that can boast that same record so it is competitive to say the least and that's grand to a certain extent but it's not great if you're beat in the first round. We've drawn Donegal and Tyrone I don't know how many times in the last decade and that makes things harder.

And Derry did it the hard way this year, beating three of those Division One teams McKaigue mentioned – Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal in the Ulster final. Meanwhile, Kerry cantered home in Munster by beating Cork by 12 points and Limerick by 23.

"Donegal have a reputation over the last number of years of being fantastic defensively but they don't get the credit for how well tuned-in tactically they are," he said.

"Their attacks are premeditated and very well structured and you get the feeling that everything they do, they know exactly who they want to shoot and how they want to orchestrate the shot.

"You look at the number of scores they've got in Division One over the last two or three years and they've averaged 17-18 points. That's not talked about much in the media. Look at the stats of how much teams are scoring in inter-county now in comparison to 10 years ago, it's day and night.

"There's a level of our game now tactically, physically... Look at the crowds now going to the games, I think the game is in really good health all the boys and girls that I know of want to be playing GAA. I think GAA in Derry and I do believe in Ulster and beyond is in really good health at the minute. I honestly do believe that."

Chrissy mc Keagues thoughts in today's Irish News.
Take not of his comments on Donegal and how their work is not appreciated.
It is not appreciated because we are listening to commentators like Marty Morrisey who really does not appreciat the entirety of Football

I wouldn't argue with many of his points but he sees things totally through his prism as a player. In terms of the players preparation, physically, mentally, tactically and their overall skill level, the game has never been better. But that does not translate to a better spectacle.

For instance he says that Donegals attacks are premeditated and structured as though it is a positive. And maybe it is from a coaches perspective. And certain types of players like to be told exactly what to do, where to run, what to eat, how much to sleep in a game that is broken down into numbers and statistics. But from a spectator perspective I want to see a bit of spontaneity, risk taking, unpredictability and individual flair. It discourages creative thinking. We are in era of massive over coaching where the game leans heavily on GPS data, statistics, video analysis. What we seen on Sunday was a game of risk reduction and two teams trying to make the least amount of mistakes and in that case the fear of losing becomes greater than the desire to win.

It was great to see Derry win the match and there has probably been no more deserving winner of an Ulster championship in recent years considering the teams that they beat, but that shouldn't stop us from analysing the game the way we see it. If people disagree with that then just accept it as being a differing opinion as to what constitutes a good spectacle.       

Great post. There needs to be some cognisance given to the state of the game as a spectacle. For a Derry man, it's only natural that the feeling is that, after 24 years, you don't really care how we won on Sunday. But that doesn't mean that once the dust has settled, we can't look at things objectively, and agree that the rules need to move with the game to improve the spectacle.
4 forwards inside the opposing 50 at all times would be a simple and effective start.

Maybe a laser beam across the 50, linked to a loud horn which alerts the masses when one of the 4 players steps over the line by an inch waiting on a ball to reach his length? I'd watch

All sports evolve to improve their game.
Look at the back pass in soccer, the shot clock in basket ball or 5 points for a try in rugby.
They all do it...are we so arrogant that we think our game, in its current format, doesn't need to evolve with the tactics that are being employed currently?
Believe it on not, but there is an obligation on our administrators and delegates to make the game entertaining.

You use examples from a couple of other sports, with examples of changes, some of which  happened 50+ years ago, as a reason why GAA structures rules need to change.

FGS the GAA is in a perpetual state of rules change, and it is never enough, even though there has been a dizzying array of changes to our playing rules and structures over the past 20 years.

There are plenty of turgid games in other sports but you would be hard pressed to find supporters of these sports who are more exercised about the way the game is played than GAA fans and media. 

Every podcast and newspaper and discussion has a healthy proportion, and indeed I would suggest a majority, of opinion focused on some aspect of our games being changed, there are literally people making a living out of criticizing some aspect of our games. This just does not happen in any other sport that I can think of.

tonto1888

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 02, 2022, 10:23:03 AM
Humbleness is what we need.

Brendan Rogers epitomises that

What a role model he is. Him and McKaigue both. I wish they were from Armagh

general_lee

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 02, 2022, 10:47:15 AM

Armagh would be genuine contenders with two players of their calibre. Brendan Rogers was immense on Sunday

restorepride

Quote from: Silver hill on June 02, 2022, 10:14:10 AM
Restore, give it a rest man. For someone who 'doesn't really get too bothered' you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trawling back over threads looking to rub the noses of anyone who has had the temerity to slight you or give an alternative opinion.
Only one think worse than a sore loser and that's a sore winner.
As a Derry man, brilliant that we won, but we are all allowed to have an opinion on the state of the game in general and if it was boring to watch or not.
Did you find it boring or "shite"?

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 02, 2022, 10:47:15 AM

Yeah 2 absolute class acts.

Real Talk

Great post. There needs to be some cognisance given to the state of the game as a spectacle. For a Derry man, it's only natural that the feeling is that, after 24 years, you don't really care how we won on Sunday. But that doesn't mean that once the dust has settled, we can't look at things objectively, and agree that the rules need to move with the game to improve the spectacle.
4 forwards inside the opposing 50 at all times would be a simple and effective start.

Watched the Dublin v Kildare game and that what Kildare were doing ... had 4 of their forwards inside the Dublin 50 ... and when Dublin scored their Goals those Kildare fowards were doing nothing... !!!!!

onefineday

Quote from: Real Talk on June 02, 2022, 11:50:17 PM

Watched the Dublin v Kildare game and that what Kildare were doing ... had 4 of their forwards inside the Dublin 50 ... and when Dublin scored their Goals those Kildare fowards were doing nothing... !!!!!
I think how it's envisaged is that both teams would have to keep 2/3 outfield players in each half at all times. That way maybe small wouldn't have been up to score his goal!