Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Good to have the SMQ route explained simply,  I am now woker to understanding the format of the 2nd Way.

David McKeown

Can I just check and I'm not suggesting it's wrong but has it been confirmed that a preliminary round will take place if necessary. I was reading about 2-3 weeks ago that they were debating the preliminary round versus the provincial finalist taking the place of the lowest ranked team in Div 2 this year.

If it has been confirmed does that mean a bye for a team in the Tailtean cup or does the preliminary round loser take that empty spot?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

twohands!!!

Quote from: David McKeown on April 25, 2022, 08:49:25 PM
Can I just check and I'm not suggesting it's wrong but has it been confirmed that a preliminary round will take place if necessary. I was reading about 2-3 weeks ago that they were debating the preliminary round versus the provincial finalist taking the place of the lowest ranked team in Div 2 this year.

If it has been confirmed does that mean a bye for a team in the Tailtean cup or does the preliminary round loser take that empty spot?

Yes it's confirmed that a preliminary round will take place if necessary in the Sam Maguire qualifiers and if necessary in the Tailteann Cup.
It's in the rule book and it's on the master schedule calendar.
This will happen if there are more than 8 teams in the Sam Maguire qualifiers.

The most teams that can be in the Tailteann are 17.
If they are 17 a preliminary round will take place in the Tailteann.
If there are 16 team in the Tailteann then there will be no byes.
If there are less than 16 teams in the Tailteann some teams will get byes.

The least number of teams that can be in the Sam Maguire qualifiers is 8.
If there are more than 8 there will be a preliminary round.

A team will either be in the provincial finals, in the Sam Maguire qualifiers or the Tailteann Cup.

Currently there are 2 teams in the Sam Maguire qualifiers - Armagh and Mayo
There are 7 teams who are in the Tailteann Cup - London, Fermanagh, Antrim, Laois, Offaly, Carlow, New York

The following 14 teams will go into the Sam Maguire qualifiers if they don't get to a provincial final - Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Kildare, Dublin, Roscommon, Galway, Derry, Meath, Clare, Cork, Louth, Limerick. [At least 6 of these teams will go into the Sam Maguire qualifiers]

The following 10 teams will go into the Tailteann Cup unless they get to a provincial final - Down, Westmeath, Longford, Wicklow, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Wexford, Tipperary, Waterford. [At least 2 of these will go into the Tailteann Cup]

David McKeown

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Farrandeelin

Have Tipp a chance of making the Munster final? And how do NY get parachuted into the quarter-finals if all 16 Div 3 and 4 teams don't make the provincial final? Preliminary round??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

full moon

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2022, 09:30:11 PM
Have Tipp a chance of making the Munster final? And how do NY get parachuted into the quarter-finals if all 16 Div 3 and 4 teams don't make the provincial final? Preliminary round??
Tipp have enough to make the Munster final. I wouldn't be massively shocked if any of the 3 teams Limerick, Clare or Tipp came out of that side. Clare will be favourites though but have a difficult game against an improving Limerick side.

Are New York going to play over here then or is it New York only?

An Watcher

So Tyrone could end up in the same round of qualifiers as mayo/armagh if they beat fermanagh and derry but then lose to monaghan?  Seems a bit unfair.  Probably a similar scenario with some leinster teams

twohands!!!

I forgot about NY and their bye to the Tailteann Cup quarter-finals.

When I went to the rule book (updated 20.01.2022) it doesn't make any mention of New York in the counties eligible for the Tailteann Cup.

QuoteThe following Counties shall be eligible to participate in this Championship:

All National League Division 3 and 4 Counties excluding the following:

Counties that are qualified for their respective Provincial Championship Finals in the Competition Year.

The previous year's Tier 2 Championship Winners, if still a National League Division 3 or 4 County. (Applicable from year 2021).

The composition of the respective Divisions of the National League referred to above shall be on the basis of the composition of these Divisions as determined for the National League of the following year on the basis of the outcomes of the National League, including those of Promotion and Relegation, of the Competition Year.

I checked the motions that were passed at Special Congress and the one in relation to the new championship structure is only to take affect from next year and this has the bit about New York being given a bye to the quarter-final stages of the Tailteann Cup. The way it will work is the 4 teams who finish 2nd in the 4 Tailteann Cup groups will play the 3 best 3rd finishers in the group stages and New York

From what I can gather New York aren't eligible to play in the Tailteann Cup this year.

This would mean that the maximum number of teams in the Tailteann Cup could be 16 so no preliminary round is needed.
There is no reference to a preliminary round for the Tailteann Cup in the rule-book [given there would be a max 16 teams eligible, there would be no need.

The thing that's confusing me is that on the GAA master schedule there is an entry on the weekend of the 21st/22nd of May Tailteann Cup (Preliminary Round if Required)

I think New York are done for the year in terms of both Sam and the Tailteann Cup

There is a New York team that will be taking part in the Junior All-Ireland (Kilkenny and New York will go into a semi-final against the winner and runner -up of the British Junior Competition)

There are 6 teams who are in the Tailteann Cup - London, Fermanagh, Antrim, Laois, Offaly, Carlow.

The following 14 teams will go into the Sam Maguire qualifiers if they don't get to a provincial final - Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Kildare, Dublin, Roscommon, Galway, Derry, Meath, Clare, Cork, Louth, Limerick. [At least 6 of these teams will go into the Sam Maguire qualifiers]

The following 10 teams will go into the Tailteann Cup unless they get to a provincial final - Down, Westmeath, Longford, Wicklow, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Wexford, Tipperary, Waterford. [At least 2 of these will go into the Tailteann Cup]

New York are finished for the year except for the Junior All Ireland.

twohands!!!

Quote from: An Watcher on April 25, 2022, 10:07:25 PM
So Tyrone could end up in the same round of qualifiers as mayo/armagh if they beat fermanagh and derry but then lose to monaghan?  Seems a bit unfair.  Probably a similar scenario with some leinster teams

Yeah - Galway would end up in the same round as Mayo if they lose to Leitrim and could even be drawn against Mayo (there's nothing about avoiding repeat fixtures in the rule-book) 

balladmaker

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 25, 2022, 10:12:55 PM

Yeah - Galway would end up in the same round as Mayo if they lose to Leitrim and could even be drawn against Mayo (there's nothing about avoiding repeat fixtures in the rule-book)

That's just nuts.  Would be some craic if it comes to pass ... but can't see Leitrim affording that opportunity.

twohands!!!

Quote from: balladmaker on April 25, 2022, 10:23:30 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on April 25, 2022, 10:12:55 PM

That's just nuts.  Would be some craic if it comes to pass ... but can't see Leitrim affording that opportunity.

And the thing is it could so easily have been avoided - simply stick in a line saying "teams who have played each other in their provincial championships already can't be drawn against each other in the preliminary or first round".

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 25, 2022, 10:10:15 PM

I forgot about NY and their bye to the Tailteann Cup quarter-finals.

When I went to the rule book (updated 20.01.2022) it doesn't make any mention of New York in the counties eligible for the Tailteann Cup.

QuoteThe following Counties shall be eligible to participate in this Championship:

All National League Division 3 and 4 Counties excluding the following:

Counties that are qualified for their respective Provincial Championship Finals in the Competition Year.

The previous year's Tier 2 Championship Winners, if still a National League Division 3 or 4 County. (Applicable from year 2021).

The composition of the respective Divisions of the National League referred to above shall be on the basis of the composition of these Divisions as determined for the National League of the following year on the basis of the outcomes of the National League, including those of Promotion and Relegation, of the Competition Year.

I checked the motions that were passed at Special Congress and the one in relation to the new championship structure is only to take affect from next year and this has the bit about New York being given a bye to the quarter-final stages of the Tailteann Cup. The way it will work is the 4 teams who finish 2nd in the 4 Tailteann Cup groups will play the 3 best 3rd finishers in the group stages and New York

From what I can gather New York aren't eligible to play in the Tailteann Cup this year.

This would mean that the maximum number of teams in the Tailteann Cup could be 16 so no preliminary round is needed.
There is no reference to a preliminary round for the Tailteann Cup in the rule-book [given there would be a max 16 teams eligible, there would be no need.

The thing that's confusing me is that on the GAA master schedule there is an entry on the weekend of the 21st/22nd of May Tailteann Cup (Preliminary Round if Required)

I think New York are done for the year in terms of both Sam and the Tailteann Cup

There is a New York team that will be taking part in the Junior All-Ireland (Kilkenny and New York will go into a semi-final against the winner and runner -up of the British Junior Competition)

There are 6 teams who are in the Tailteann Cup - London, Fermanagh, Antrim, Laois, Offaly, Carlow.

New York are finished for the year except for the Junior All Ireland.

The GAA president said recently that New York are taking part in this years Tailteann Cup. A few New York players and management said the same after the defeat to Sligo.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0418/1292963-larry-mccarthy-new-york-can-progress-in-tailteann-cup/
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

If NY are in it and have a bye to the Qtr Final it means 14 Counties in Round 1.
A prelim round would be necessary unless at least 2 Tailteann Counties reach Provincial Finals.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Confirmed teams
Armagh
Mayo
Clare

Teams that could potentially end up in the Sam Maguire qualifiers.
Based on league position : Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Kildare, Dublin, Roscommon, Galway, Derry, Meath, Cork, Louth, Limerick.
Have to get to a provincial : Westmeath, Wicklow, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Tipperary.

armaghniac

Well sure if Armagh get Clare or Mayo then we'll get a weekend out of it, or the inhabitants of those places will get to visit the Cathedral city.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B