Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tiempo on February 28, 2022, 08:41:35 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40817007.html

The most laugh out loud surreal article you could ever wish to read (perfectly in keeping with the subject matter). Wtf
is it with people on this topic!

Can no-one put forward the simple point that the 3 organisations should strongly consider integration without entering into the GAA equivalent of full neo-liberal genetalia obsessed bullshit!

Fully in favour of integration but yeno what, it's OK not integrate either! I have to say Anglea Walsh has been the most rational balanced view I've heard yet, its not f**king rocket science!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3nAD4yG1YHW6Sen6eLsvLI?si=FgA9_Wu0Rnuar7E6jm1wPA&utm_source=copy-link

You seem to have missed the point of that Examiner article by Gary Brennan. He's trying to get you to put yourself in the shoes of women and look at it from their point of view. There's a clue in the last sentence.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on March 01, 2022, 06:21:01 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2022, 11:09:57 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 28, 2022, 10:52:05 PM
My thought is that there must be an absolute tonne of both time and money being wasted by having 3 different organisations.

Think of it this way - imagine if there was 4 separate GAA organisations - one for football, one for hurling, one for rounders and one for handball.

Imagine how much of a disaster that would be and how much more extra money it would cost.

Not to mention how much time would be wasted on duplication of a whole load of administration stuff.

I can't help but think that commissioning some outside consultancy firm to look into this might be something that would pay for itself very quickly.

I honestly think you have it inside out.

Instead of multiple groups of people with vested interests in their preferred sport putting their time freely into ensuring the delivery of their sports, you believe that one group of people will be able to objectively and equally balance the needs of 4 sports at once, while leaving their personal preferences at the door.

Furthermore the only outcome that will arise from bringing consultants in, is more consultants coming in after them, and more and more again, until there's a 1% of our members getting paid handsomely to "guide" our sports on behalf of players.

@thewobbler finally someone making sense on this topic. One organisation trying to fairly and equally run 4 sports is not possible. All you need to do is look at the splits and in fighting in that occurs in GAA clubs up and down the country between football and hurling. Hurling's (or football's in other areas) progress is often sabotaged by those within the very same club. The female organisations should lobby for guaranteed rights to facilities and equal funding from government but hold onto their independence and ability to run their games as they see fit.

The GAA will end up like the civil service or EU. Trying to do everything but so tied up in bureaucracy and political correctness that every decision alienates some group. Impossible to govern.

I have to disagree with you there. The reverse is true where the GAA has been merged with the sister organizations internationally. The USGAA runs all four sports, has been doing so for years, and it's not impossible to govern at all. If anything the meetings run a lot more smoothly thanks to having a better balance of men and women in the room and at the top table. It's a more professional environment.

Granted there are times when it is a bit tiresome hearing certain female delegates play the gender card when their games are inconvenienced, but at least they're in the room to make their voices heard and head off anything unfair before it happens. Women's games are far more likely to be treated with the prominence they deserve when  women are in the decision-making process.

Truth hurts

My timeline is full of Kelly Mallon crying about expenses and LGFA not getting use of pitches in Kerry. The LGFA is a wealthy organization, It's time they ponied up. I'm getting sick of the abuse directed at the gaa.

gander

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 20, 2022, 12:25:04 PM
My timeline is full of Kelly Mallon crying about expenses and LGFA not getting use of pitches in Kerry. The LGFA is a wealthy organization, It's time they ponied up. I'm getting sick of the abuse directed at the gaa.

Kelly actually wasnt crying about it tho, she was asked a question and answered it.  even on the pod cast neither her or the armagh chairwoman are blaming the GAA in any way about their lack of expenses

tiempo

So with GPA Meyler, the great spokesperson for redress, heading for the US, I was wondering, would he (and others) be passing half their loot to the LGFA or banking the lot?

Eamonnca1

What's going on? Another smash-and-grab trip to the States to raid the USGAA/NYGAA's potential sources of funds?

tiempo

Last I heard if you stay quiet you're part of the problem

But I guess that only applies to elite player funding and not grassroots

Seems its OK to paint the silent majority as sexist, backward, intolerant and then swan off for a bag of cash to the good old U S of A

Baile Brigín 2

Waaah waaah waaah

https://www.the42.ie/gaa-inter-county-players-expenses-5789492-Jun2022/

Getting bored of this shock to amateur players who train away from where they live end up having to put their hands in their pockets.

tiempo

... Following a request from The42, the GPA contacted its members to request for players to track their expenses on a weekly basis...

Mens County players off to USA to rake in 5 figure sums for a few weeks social football and holiday, anyone fancy putting a request in to the GPA for 7 lads to divulge the particulars because I'm sure they'd be happy to

If you're not speaking up your part of the problem was the tag line in Feb, funny how "equality" takes a break to facilitate this rampant exploitation

nrico2006

Quote from: tiempo on June 30, 2022, 09:12:42 PM
... Following a request from The42, the GPA contacted its members to request for players to track their expenses on a weekly basis...

Mens County players off to USA to rake in 5 figure sums for a few weeks social football and holiday, anyone fancy putting a request in to the GPA for 7 lads to divulge the particulars because I'm sure they'd be happy to

If you're not speaking up your part of the problem was the tag line in Feb, funny how "equality" takes a break to facilitate this rampant exploitation

Not doing anything wrong are they? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tiempo

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 30, 2022, 09:19:13 PM

By their own holier than thou standards, yes

Eamonnca1

Coming over to earn money without the requisite visas? Yeah, they probably are. The GAA in the states could put that money to much better use.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 30, 2022, 11:24:39 PM

Coming over to earn money without the requisite visas? Yeah, they probably are. The GAA in the states could put that money to much better use.

Exactly
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Rossfan

I'm sure if the GAA in the States wanted to have this practice stopped they'd have no problem getting a rule through Congress outlawing it ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 30, 2022, 11:24:39 PM

Except it's not the GAA's money. It's a business person's money. And if they wish to spend it on the flavour of Gaelic Games that interests them, then let them at it. If your desire is that they should make donations to a central body who will disperse it evenly among man, woman and child, then they might just look for a different hobby.

Believe it or not, this is not inequality.