Liam Dunne vs. Michael Duignan and Gerlock

Started by Bord na Mona man, May 21, 2015, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Angry Wexford boss Liam Dunne bites back at Michael Duignan and Ger Loughnane
Thursday, May 21, 2015

By John Fogarty
GAA Correspondent

Wexford boss Liam Dunne has taken aim at pundits Michael Duignan and Ger Loughnane for remarks they made about his team two years ago.

In an extensive interview in tomorrow's Irish Examiner 2015 Championship supplement, Dunne slams Duignan for claiming Wexford had frightened Dublin with rough play in the 2013 Leinster quarter-final replay.

He also lambastes Loughnane who said the counties were guilty of "constipated hurling" in the drawn game.

"I thought we got a lot of unfair criticism two years ago. Andrew Shore was sent off in Parnell Park. Clare had three men sent off against us last year in two games. These things are going to happen. It's very easy to get on a bandwagon.

"Michael Duignan stuck the knife into us big time. He was always going to protect Brian Gavin, they're very good friends so he was always going to look after his buddy as best he could. On national television and in the papers, he did a very good job. A year later he's down with us in Wexford drinking pints celebrating after us beating Clare. You know which... up yours, Michael!

"The other man (Loughnane)? He had Galway playing some fair constipated hurling for a long time and knocked them back 10 years. When these fellas are on a bandwagon and talking we know what we have to do."

Dunne also claims The Sunday Game has a major influence on how referees officiate games by the nature of how they portray certain teams.

"A few weeks ago on League Sunday, Tomás Ó Sé was on it and they picked two or three off-the-ball incidents in one game and then we came to the Kerry (v Tyrone) game and there were a desperate blatant thing done but it was never even mentioned. I waited to see how Tomás would react to this one but Michael Lyster never even brought it up.

"You saw Jamie O'Sullivan highlighted for elbowing Diarmuid Connolly (in the Division 1 football final). I can't actually see him hitting him in the jaw. If it was me, I would be going to my barrister to show that I didn't actually hit him. I think that's after creeping into The Sunday Game and League Sunday big time. The likes of Eddie Brennan and Brendan Cummins highlight these things but they've been around long enough to know..."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/angry-wexford-boss-liam-dunne-bites-back-at-michael-duignan-and-ger-loughnane-331932.html

AZOffaly

johnneycool

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on May 21, 2015, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2015, 03:43:03 PM
Liam Dunne is a nutter.

He is, but I like him for it.

Me too. Didn't he get sent off in his last two games for Wexford, a year apart, or something like that?

Zulu

Think he's a clown myself. He is always complaining about something and strikes me as the kind of fella who is up till 4am hunched over his computer looking for something to get a chip on his shoulder about. It's become stale and tiresome by now.

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on May 21, 2015, 08:17:37 PM
Think he's a clown myself. He is always complaining about something and strikes me as the kind of fella who is up till 4am hunched over his computer looking for something to get a chip on his shoulder about. It's become stale and tiresome by now.

It takes all sorts Zulu, It'd be a boring place if all the intercounty coaches were as 'nice' as Ger Cunningham, John Allen or Donal O'Grady (what is it about Cork men??), not a bad word to say about anything and everything is great.

In saying that, whilst he can have a good gurn I don't think its detrimental to his team, unlike Davy Fitz who IMO seems to lose the plot too much and it impacts upon the team as a whole.