Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh Cúchulainns

Yesterday in Ballybofey.
Rian O Neills 'goal'.

Anyone care to offer an opinion on what the free out was awarded for?
What could the referee have done differently?
If the same call happens this weekend in another high profile game what would the referee this week have learnt from Sunday?

Also point of clarification for anyone thinking I'm griping - I'm not...
My username points to my affiliated club and I am no supporter of Armagh football  :-X
Its all about the Hurling.

delgany

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on April 25, 2022, 01:59:40 PM
Yesterday in Ballybofey.
Rian O Neills 'goal'.

If the same call happens this weekend in another high profile game what would the referee this week have learnt from Sunday?

My username points to my affiliated club and I am no supporter of Armagh football  :-X

I'd thought that it was a foul on the gk inside the small rectangle

rosnarun

Quote from: delgany on April 25, 2022, 02:17:10 PM
Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on April 25, 2022, 01:59:40 PM
Yesterday in Ballybofey.
Rian O Neills 'goal'.

I'd thought that it was a foul on the gk inside the small rectangle
I really think the Ref just wanted to clean up a messy situation.
happening all thr time now when a guy on the ground is penalized if he doesn't get out of there in a couple of seconds even though its clear no specific rule is being broken.
  the ref is the boss and does what ever he likes .
its only sendings off that are appealed and they are proven to be wrong half the time
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 25, 2022, 02:33:03 PM
I noticed that several of Donegal's kickout's yesterday against Armagh violated Rule 2.7(a) of the football playing rules, which states that they must be taken from the centre point of the 20 metre line.

Quote2.7 (a) When the ball is played over the endline by the Team attacking that end, or after a score is made, play is restarted by a kick-out off the ground from the centre point of the 20m line and shall be kicked forward.

The only time it should be allowed is when that area is deemed unplayable, just move it to the side would be ok, not 2 meters away
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2022, 11:06:59 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on April 04, 2022, 09:04:32 PM
I'm still not sure what the rule is. You have to be 13m away from the kicker when free is taken but could you run 12m towards the kicker say and pick it up one meter away from them?  The quoted rule doesn't really answer the issue.

Personally if he's 13m away and manages to sprint 12m when the ball is played then play on!!

So the "fake" soccer corner routine is legal? Say you have a 20 yard free in the last minute 2 points down with all opposition team on the goalline. Player A just drops the ball onto his toe and walks on. Player B coming like a train from 20 yards behind him could chip the ball up and take a blast at goal from a lot closer? Depending how switched on the defenders were and if they thought Player A was leaving the ball for B, they might not even have moved from the line?  :D :D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TabClear on April 25, 2022, 02:46:14 PM
I'm still not sure what the rule is. You have to be 13m away from the kicker when free is taken but could you run 12m towards the kicker say and pick it up one meter away from them?  The quoted rule doesn't really answer the issue.

Personally if he's 13m away and manages to sprint 12m when the ball is played then play on!!

So the "fake" soccer corner routine is legal? Say you have a 20 yard free in the last minute 2 points down with all opposition team on the goalline. Player A just drops the ball onto his toe and walks on. Player B coming like a train from 20 yards behind him could chip the ball up and take a blast at goal from a lot closer? Depending how switched on the defenders were and if they thought Player A was leaving the ball for B, they might not even have moved from the line?  :D :D

Yeah but if he drops the ball he must make contact with it, then a player 13 meters behind him can lift it and play on. I remember being caught out like that in a hurling match 21 yard free, 10 on the line (before the 5 only rule) ball played square on the 21 and our positioning all wrong and shot blasted into the net!

I'm sure routines could be and should be played by players to gain advantages within the rules
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Nanderson

'When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.'

How many referees know this rule. The amount of frees given to goalkeepers just because they are getting tackled is unreal

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2022, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: TabClear on April 25, 2022, 02:46:14 PM

Yeah but if he drops the ball he must make contact with it, then a player 13 meters behind him can lift it and play on. I remember being caught out like that in a hurling match 21 yard free, 10 on the line (before the 5 only rule) ball played square on the 21 and our positioning all wrong and shot blasted into the net!

I'm sure routines could be and should be played by players to gain advantages within the rules

You should write a wee booklet MR - give us all the inside insight.  :)

delgany

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 01, 2022, 12:04:39 AM
Ok, one for MR2 & others with reffin' experience...

Can a referee dismiss or replace a linesman or umpire (wherever neutral or otherwise) during the course of a game?

Yes , ref can order anyone within the confines of pitch - off 

delgany

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 02, 2022, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: delgany on June 01, 2022, 01:08:19 AM

Can a referee dismiss or replace a linesman or umpire (wherever neutral or otherwise) during the course of a game?
:o
Thought that might be the case, but can yourself or anyone else recall an incident when a linesman or umpire was dismissed by the referee?

At inter county - wouldnt happen!
At club level - occassionally

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on June 02, 2022, 10:21:41 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 02, 2022, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: delgany on June 01, 2022, 01:08:19 AM

:o
Thought that might be the case, but can yourself or anyone else recall an incident when a linesman or umpire was dismissed by the referee?

At inter county - wouldnt happen!
At club level - occassionally

Have never seen it at inter county, as you say at club level I did it at the weekend, I'd my own umpires, one at each end, the clubs kept sending another and I had to ask them nicely to move outside the gate, second half starts they send another  ::)

Look if you're refereeing and some home/away umpire is taking the piss then they are asked to go, same on the line. I've overruled my own umpires before, but only when I was 100%, it's not nice to do it lol

onefineday

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 02, 2022, 02:04:15 PM
Interesting. I can't say that I've ever recalled seeing an umpire or linesman dismissed from a game in Tyrone.
Over 1 minute between ball going out for 45 and Morgan hitting it wide. How much should be added on, how much will be added on and is it time a time limit was imposed??

Dreadnought

Lads, foot block. Lot of talk after Mayo Monaghan yesterday with 2 incidents. And we had one last week not given in Galway Roscommon. Some seem to think, any block with the foot is a foot block. I always thought you had to be close to the kicker, and risk an injury to their kicking foot for this to be the case. Otherwise can defenders or keepers not save with their feet? For my money, I thought all 3 were reffed correctly. The only one which was a true foot block was given as one. But is this correct under the rules?

David McKeown

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 05, 2022, 01:50:23 PM
Lads, foot block. Lot of talk after Mayo Monaghan yesterday with 2 incidents. And we had one last week not given in Galway Roscommon. Some seem to think, any block with the foot is a foot block. I always thought you had to be close to the kicker, and risk an injury to their kicking foot for this to be the case. Otherwise can defenders or keepers not save with their feet? For my money, I thought all 3 were reffed correctly. The only one which was a true foot block was given as one. But is this correct under the rules?

They slightly changed the wording of the foot block rule a few years ago. It used to be to block or attempt to block a kick taken from the hand. It now says To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

So I think now you do have to be close enough to the kicker for it to be a foul.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Dreadnought

Folks, I regret to inform you that we had another foot block incident in the Cavan Sligo game Sunday. What did we think of this supposed foot block from Killian Brady? Really not sure what to think. It wasn't what you might call a standard foot block. He threw himself forward to block the ball with his hands and body, and then the forward kicked the back of Bradys leg. Is this a foot block? It's not the one we usually see where they use their foot to block the ball, potentially causing injury to the kicker. It was Brady himself who ended up injured on the back of that, was hobbling and had to come off after it. Some commentators/pundits said it should have been a penalty, others that it wasn't. Thoughts?