An Fear Rua - Gone!!!!!

Started by Dinny Breen, September 11, 2012, 12:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I rarely visited it. It always struck me as Brian Carthy and Kitty The Hare reading Ireland's Own to each other in The Tailor and Ansty's little cottage out at the butt of the wind.

I do remember one good thread about Simmenthal bullocks from it  that was reproduced here.

Edit: Sorry - Limousins.

prewtna

Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2012, 02:40:04 PM
I rarely visited it. It always struck me as Brian Carthy and Kitty The Hare reading Ireland's Own to each other in The Tailor and Ansty's little cottage out at the butt of the wind.

I do remember one good thread about Simmenthal bullocks from it  that was reproduced here.

even now that is still absolutely classic stuff. AFRs finest hour

blanketattack

Quote from: prewtna on September 11, 2012, 03:00:03 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2012, 02:40:04 PM

even now that is still absolutely classic stuff. AFRs finest hour

Didn't some Limousin breeder try to bring litigation against AFR for that thread as he felt it was painting a bad picture of Limousin cattle which was bad for his business or am I imagining this?

seafoid

Making money out of GAA chat seems to be a lot like making money out of playing professional GAA . Not going to happen.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

squire_in_navy_slacks

Dinny Breen

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 11, 2012, 05:16:39 PM
next for reservoir dubs  ;D

God I hope not, best to keep all those paranoid lunatics in the one spot.
#newbridgeornowhere

squire_in_navy_slacks

optimus cheese

Sorry to see it go, was a brilliant forum for hurling people especially. Think it began after the end of clarehurlers.com so that explains the Clare/Limerick domination. Was some cracking threads and generally was good debate on there. Wonder where everyone will migrate to now?

blanketattack

Seeing that there was barely electricity in most places never mind the interweb when Mayo last won the All-Ireland, GAA forums are closing down as a preventive measure against the meltdown that will occur if Mayo win with all the revenge posts Mayo folk will be writing in the forums for the millions of slights and jokes they've suffered over the last 60 years both online and offline.

The Boy Wonder

I certainly enjoyed browsing AFR and it had plenty of knowledgeable hurling contributors.
It was also a good place to get plain speaking on current affairs from contributors that didn't just go with the flow.
There was a certain quirkiness about the site but that added to it's appeal.
Best of luck to Liam Cahill but maybe he should look at ways of keeping AFR running.

Premier Emperor

He spent mad money paying a lad to develop a custom forum from scratch.
It looked like something from 1999. Fools and their money are easily parted!

Looking at the reactions thefreekick and premierview, he annoyed some amount of people in those 12 years!

Bud Wiser

An Fear Ruined it would seem. Afraid of legal cases been taken agin him my arse. Have to be careful on here now because more hacks will be looking in at our excellent database of knowledge about all things GAA and anything from the scientific observations of Olly to how to get your car fixed.  From now on you can't be saying Pat Sipllane is a right eejit or Joe Brolly has an ego as big as the knot in Ger Loughnanes tie or anything like that - and Oh yes, leave Tommy Walsh alone as well.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ONeill

I posted something earlier on here about yer man but deleted it because the ma says if you can't say anything good about someone say nathin.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

I was a regular in there since the 90s.  I even used to write a column for him.

In more recent years I noticed a change in his tone though, he was getting angrier and more easily provoked at the slightest thing.  I used to report bugs and suggest fixes for them and he used to thank me for it, but one time more recently I reported a problem with his news feed (it was throwing up random news stories that had nothing to do with the GAA).  His response was I could go somewhere else if I didn't like it and "your constant whinging about this site is getting to be a pain in the hole." 

He once made a rule about Heysel, banned all discussions of the subject because of some thread that had gotten out of hand. So later the issue of the Hill 16 wall came up and I was talking about crowd control and pressure and how people underestimate how much pressure a big enough crowd of people can exert.  I happened to mention that it can be enough to knock a wall down like at Heysel.

Well the next day I awoke to a tirade of angry abuse in my personal email inbox saying he was "disgusted with my behaviour" and castigating me about my attitude.  That was me banned for life.  In theory I could have registered a fresh account and gone back but I'd hate to be posting under a regime like that, so I never bothered going back.

Bud Wiser

I never went there to see the site because I had a tangle with him for touting on here for some of our posters to go over to their forum about ten years ago. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"