An Fear Rua - Gone!!!!!

Started by Dinny Breen, September 11, 2012, 12:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Interesting his comment that anonymous online forums aren't a viable prospect. Does he mean financially or simply as an entity?

Yesterday this site had 441 new posts, 5 new members and 328 online at one time.

It'd be interesting to hear from the mods here to see if we've sailed close to the legal line atall recently.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Also, the Cahill attempting a last blast at free publicity here? It's just the forum closing down - the actual site is forging ahead with the usual articles.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ONeill on September 12, 2012, 11:19:04 PM
Also, the Cahill attempting a last blast at free publicity here? It's just the forum closing down - the actual site is forging ahead with the usual articles.

Yeah but it's the dynamic nature of the forum part that keeps people coming back multiple times a day. I'd say the only way he's going to get a bit of traffic now is by posting links to his articles from his Facebook and Twitter feeds.  He'll still get some traffic, but nothing like what it was. Plus he's made a lot of enemies with his treatment of people like myself and Pat there. I certainly stopped clicking on his ads around the time when he started getting abusive.

Eamonnca1

And last time I looked at the place he still hadn't fixed his news feed. Still showing random international news stories instead of GAA ones.

Syferus

Seems like alot of them holed up in a thread on Boards.ie. Weird choice because that's pretty much the exact opposite of An Fear Rua in every way imaginable. Do they not know this place exists? It seems the natural home for those refugees, the same sort of freedom and without a boarderline insane moderator. Would be nice if we could get the hurling talk charged up a bit out of all this commotion, it's all this place is really missing.

Cold tea

A discussion board closes down, who gives a f**k - if this one closed tomorrow, who would miss it, really?  It just something to look at that isn't blocked from work, be back to the BBC for a read!

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Syferus on September 14, 2012, 01:57:14 AM
Seems like alot of them holed up in a thread on Boards.ie. Weird choice because that's pretty much the exact opposite of An Fear Rua in every way imaginable. Do they not know this place exists? It seems the natural home for those refugees, the same sort of freedom and without a boarderline insane moderator. Would be nice if we could get the hurling talk charged up a bit out of all this commotion, it's all this place is really missing.

;D Wahoo, a man after my own heart.  More hurling discussion, do away with the football thread.
Maybe call it the "Football" thread instead of "GAA Discussion" and then we could all talk about hurling and GAA without going near that football topic.  Still, can't really say anything other than praise the mods on here for the length of time this board is on the go. The mods from boards.ie should pop in for a while and see how a forum is run by two boys out of a garage and a computer repair shop and the only revenue coming from two threads on "How to Fix Your Car" and "Computer Problems"  It is great to see that some of us are here on this board for around fifteen years and just because An Fear Ruined says that forums are a thing of the past, well, I would bet forums have as good a chance of being around in ten years time as much as Facebook or Twatter.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Cold tea on September 14, 2012, 08:58:51 AM
A discussion board closes down, who gives a f**k - if this one closed tomorrow, who would miss it, really?  It just something to look at that isn't blocked from work, be back to the BBC for a read!

There are two types of people IMO who engage in discussion forums.  One is a "USER" and the other is a "Participant".  One, the participant sees the time and effort that people put into providing the forum as beneficial to his general interest of the topics that are available and can relate to the type of contributor who subscribes to the various topics. By being a participant in the forum you would have respect for those who provide it and hence why there has never been a problem here over fifteen years.

The other is a "USER" and could not give, as you say, a f**k about anyone. This person expects to land on a forum of whatever rattles his can any time at all without any consideration for what goes into making it all possible and as an example of a GAA forum, may sign up today, make a few comments on two or three posts and witin a week is asking for free advice, where to get tickets, even where to sell tickets and then is not seen again.

Put simple, if nobody gave a f**k as you say, there would be no forums. Thankfully our mods have been giving their free time for years and there are thousands who appreciate it from all corners of the world.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

AZOffaly

I was reading that boards.ie thread alright and the AFR lads are fairly lost as well. It's gas that what they are looking for (A single forum with individual boards for Counties, a non-gaa discussion etc) are all here, and they don't know about us :) That might be a good or bad thing.

Maybe we should take ads out in the GAA Programmes like AFR did :)

Cold tea

Quote from: Bud Wiser on September 14, 2012, 09:37:43 AM
Quote from: Cold tea on September 14, 2012, 08:58:51 AM

There are two types of people IMO who engage in discussion forums.  One is a "USER" and the other is a "Participant".  One, the participant sees the time and effort that people put into providing the forum as beneficial to his general interest of the topics that are available and can relate to the type of contributor who subscribes to the various topics. By being a participant in the forum you would have respect for those who provide it and hence why there has never been a problem here over fifteen years.

The other is a "USER" and could not give, as you say, a f**k about anyone. This person expects to land on a forum of whatever rattles his can any time at all without any consideration for what goes into making it all possible and as an example of a GAA forum, may sign up today, make a few comments on two or three posts and witin a week is asking for free advice, where to get tickets, even where to sell tickets and then is not seen again.

Put simple, if nobody gave a f**k as you say, there would be no forums. Thankfully our mods have been giving their free time for years and there are thousands who appreciate it from all corners of the world.

And would your life be affected if this forum closed down.  That's my point!

AZOffaly

I think with a forum this size, and of this age, you have a chance to actually meet the people on it as well from time to time. That definitely makes a difference in terms of how important it is. At the end of the day, it's just people posting messages on a forum, for others to read and respond to. It's just a communication device, as well as a repository for all sorts of knowledge.

If it closed down, then you would lose that outlet. Of course there would be other fora to go to, if you wanted, but these things tend to become your own little community. Occasionally they can become a good thing in real life too, as us all chipping in to raise 3 grand for Pieta House and the Cormac Trust last year shows. (We should do that again next year).

I've met loads of lads in real life, through this board, Kerry Mike, Broken Crossbar, Billys Boots, Magpie Seanie, Bud Wiser, as well as a host of others briefly at the golf day, and everyone has been sound, as you would expect because at the end of the day everyone on here has a common interest.

People definitely take these things too seriously at times, no doubt about it, but I think the analogy of your local pub is a good one. If every pub in your town closed down, you'd still be able to keep in touch, but you wouldn't have a single meeting place. That's all this board, and others like it, provides.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2012, 10:27:37 AM
I think with a forum this size, and of this age, you have a chance to actually meet the people on it as well from time to time. That definitely makes a difference in terms of how important it is. At the end of the day, it's just people posting messages on a forum, for others to read and respond to. It's just a communication device, as well as a repository for all sorts of knowledge.

If it closed down, then you would lose that outlet. Of course there would be other fora to go to, if you wanted, but these things tend to become your own little community. Occasionally they can become a good thing in real life too, as us all chipping in to raise 3 grand for Pieta House and the Cormac Trust last year shows. (We should do that again next year).

I've met loads of lads in real life, through this board, Kerry Mike, Broken Crossbar, Billys Boots, Magpie Seanie, Bud Wiser, as well as a host of others briefly at the golf day, and everyone has been sound, as you would expect because at the end of the day everyone on here has a common interest.

People definitely take these things too seriously at times, no doubt about it, but I think the analogy of your local pub is a good one. If every pub in your town closed down, you'd still be able to keep in touch, but you wouldn't have a single meeting place. That's all this board, and others like it, provides.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little!!

seafoid

If this forum closed down it would be a loss because there isn't anything like it elsewhere. It has an atmosphere of its own.
I wouldn't want to follow the procession of Mayo to an all Ireland anywhere else. 

The UK Guardian newspaper had a discussion board that was great craic and it was suddenly pulled without warning and that was it. Gone. All the users scattered.

rosnarun

Quote from: screenexile on September 14, 2012, 10:37:04 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2012, 10:27:37 AM

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little!!
Common enough one to get wrong 
if you are speaking about ancient rome or indeed speaking latin its stadia and fora, but if you are referring to modern times, its plane old Stadiums and forums
but seeing as meaning is clear its not really important anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

You learn something new every day. I always say stadia as well.  A bit harsh to puke at it though :D I thought he was puking at the thought of relocating.

And if we are teaching and learning, the word is 'plain' and we won't go into apostrophe usage :D