An Fear Rua - Gone!!!!!

Started by Dinny Breen, September 11, 2012, 12:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

The "GAA Discussion" should be called  "Football Discussion" and "Hurling Discussion" should be given equal prominance.
The " Liverpool thread, Manchester Utd, Everton, Celtic, Official Gooners, and all the soccer threads should be put into one folder along with anything to do with Cork and then deleted  :)

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Absent

I see there are some articles still appearing on Fear Rua since last thursday,is there a chance it could retrurn.This site is fine but it does not appear to attract many hurling fans from the munster area,neither has it the same vigour as Fear Rua.

Zulu

Yeah there isn't as many posts here as AFR had for some reason.

Kimbap

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 11, 2012, 09:02:44 PM
I was a regular in there since the 90s.  I even used to write a column for him.

In more recent years I noticed a change in his tone though, he was getting angrier and more easily provoked at the slightest thing.  I used to report bugs and suggest fixes for them and he used to thank me for it, but one time more recently I reported a problem with his news feed (it was throwing up random news stories that had nothing to do with the GAA).  His response was I could go somewhere else if I didn't like it and "your constant whinging about this site is getting to be a pain in the hole." 

He once made a rule about Heysel, banned all discussions of the subject because of some thread that had gotten out of hand. So later the issue of the Hill 16 wall came up and I was talking about crowd control and pressure and how people underestimate how much pressure a big enough crowd of people can exert.  I happened to mention that it can be enough to knock a wall down like at Heysel.

Well the next day I awoke to a tirade of angry abuse in my personal email inbox saying he was "disgusted with my behaviour" and castigating me about my attitude.  That was me banned for life.  In theory I could have registered a fresh account and gone back but I'd hate to be posting under a regime like that, so I never bothered going back.

Spot on.The guy was a p***k,pure and simple.I was banned after many years for criticizing Cooney's wages.Nothing that wasn't in the public domain.He made a snide remark to me on the public forum then banned me so I had no chace to reply,cowardly stuff.His irrational fear of ligation was an excuse he used to do whatever he wanted without any rhyme or reason.Long time posters were banned for nothing and WUMS allowed stay even though they had said much worse.He struck me as a condescending,over confrontational,bitter man.His old response to everyone was "well if you dont like it you can F off"Well looks like enough people took his advice.

Absent

In fairness the man had serious health problems which he referred to some months ago.

Some posters did show a lot of anger both towards public figures and fellow posters and the constant harranging and name calling and violent attitudes and indeed the level of foul mouthed abuse left an awful lot to be desired and was not worthy of the site,some posters just could not help themselves and were not prepared to obey the rules and were rightly thrown out,a modicum of decorum can be foreign to some posters.I encountered the playing the man on several occasions myself,whereby the poster could not or would not enggage with the point made,rather preferred to name call or swear,these type of posters are no addition to any site,the type of guys you would run a mile from if you encounterd them in your local pub.

I am not accusing any poster here of being like that but it is only fair to give the other side of the story

brokencrossbar1

Another one bites the dust.  I see this place has gone as well.  A crazy time to close unless there was a particular reason with the Dublin county final up next week.

Declan

Didn't see that one BC1. Was an early contributor for a good few years but less so recently. Some good lads on it but some loopers as well - A bit like here ;)

AZOffaly

I wonder is this place on borrowed time too so?

heffo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 24, 2012, 09:50:55 AM
there have been suggestions on boards.ie that there was an inappropriate picture of juveniles put up and within hours the place was closed down. 

Not the case

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: heffo on October 24, 2012, 01:17:24 PM
there have been suggestions on boards.ie that there was an inappropriate picture of juveniles put up and within hours the place was closed down. 

Not the case

It has been closed down though hasn't it for whatever reason?

heffo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 24, 2012, 01:19:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 24, 2012, 01:17:24 PM

Not the case

It has been closed down though hasn't it for whatever reason?

Gone alright but there wasn't a pic like suggested

brokencrossbar1

Fair enough heffo, original post changed.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Threatening closure for years, constant rattlers thrown out of prams...........................id say it will be back up in running within a week or so  ::)

Declan

Quotehttp://www.dubsandclubs.com/forums/register.php

Well that didn't last long!!

Chaps,

Some of you may be wondering why the site closed today.

I was a presentation this morning and didn't realise the dubsandclubs site was being pushed heavily on twitter. It was only ever meant to be a small private site, not an alternative to ResDubs, as those who were members will know. It was really just a little sandbox for trialling and developing software and organising coverage for games. Never had any ambition to be anything more.

So upon reflection when I got back to my desk this morning I decided against hosting the site any longer, particularly if it meant a heap of people signing up who I did not know personally.

Anything more than 35 odd people on the website means moderation, and it's hard enough to keep the day job down, never mind spending all day moderating a website on the internet!

Apologies to those who signed-up today only to have the website close so quickly. But it really wasn't going to be suitable for a discussion board for that many users.