galway were right

Started by the goal was on, August 06, 2010, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the goal was on

I see Mc Closkey giving out about removal of big joe . Is it because he has lost his big money gig in Galway as opposed to anything else. The galway county board wanted to reduce costs which is fair enough. Like was there a need for 2 trainers! Can u imagine the tin those 2 and joe were on with no return. the talk of 2 /3 year plan is nonsence. Its not like it was a young team. First year should be a strong year. look at down/louth etc. even kildare has decent first years - quarter final/leinster title so you can t say its took them time to develop. Minimum for Galway this year was getting game time in croker and taking on some of the big teams. Sorry but I think any one getting little for there buck are entitled to take stock. As for mc closkey I see hes touting for more work. I thought he was over in wasps as a skills coach. Maybe he would be better sticking to the rugby

Roashter

Agreed,
Kernan took on the task of managing one of the stronger counties who had real aspirations this year.
I know they were a bit unlucky with injuries but should not use this as an excuse.

Losing to Sligo after a replay is no disaster, but losing at home to Wexford was.
Anyone that starts any new job needs to make an impression. A poor enough league and a disaster of a championship is enough justification for him to go.

Logan

Considering your last post was an attack on Mike McGurn is this another veiled personal attack 'the goal was on'?
I'd consider it a mark of our game that a GAA coach would be in demand by a team like Wasps.

John McCloskey has trained teams to win All Ireland club titles with Cross, Ulster titles, NFL's and an All Ireland with Armagh and an NFL with Derry - perhaps one of the most successful GAA trainers in Ireland - might he not actually have a point?

Many county teams have two trainers - and S&C and a Football coach/trainer. In his case Armagh did, Derry did and I can think of at least 4 Ulster counties off the top of my head and Kerry and Cork who had/have 2 'trainers' involved in their preparation.
Whether you think that's excessive or not is irrelevant - that's the norm in most counties. So he is talking sense there.

Also, when Joe took over I was always under the impression it was a 2 year deal.

I agree that you need to show some improvement in year 1 - no argument there - but I would have thought for a county like Galway to think they can win an AI in one year is nonsense, and a 2 year deal would have made perfect sense. They weren't exactly racking up provincial titles in the past decade!

WRT you dig at him 'touting for work' I'd imagine with his, Joe's experience and success rate a county could do worse than have the two of those involved.

thebackbar

Quote from: Logan on August 07, 2010, 10:02:13 AM
Considering your last post was an attack on Mike McGurn is this another veiled personal attack 'the goal was on'?
I'd consider it a mark of our game that a GAA coach would be in demand by a team like Wasps.

John McCloskey has trained teams to win All Ireland club titles with Cross, Ulster titles, NFL's and an All Ireland with Armagh and an NFL with Derry - perhaps one of the most successful GAA trainers in Ireland - might he not actually have a point?

Many county teams have two trainers - and S&C and a Football coach/trainer. In his case Armagh did, Derry did and I can think of at least 4 Ulster counties off the top of my head and Kerry and Cork who had/have 2 'trainers' involved in their preparation.
Whether you think that's excessive or not is irrelevant - that's the norm in most counties. So he is talking sense there.

Also, when Joe took over I was always under the impression it was a 2 year deal.

I agree that you need to show some improvement in year 1 - no argument there - but I would have thought for a county like Galway to think they can win an AI in one year is nonsense, and a 2 year deal would have made perfect sense. They weren't exactly racking up provincial titles in the past decade!

WRT you dig at him 'touting for work' I'd imagine with his, Joe's experience and success rate a county could do worse than have the two of those involved.

No one in Galway was expecting an All-Ireland in year one lets be clear about this to start with. If he achieved any of the following we would  of being very happy

* brought in some new players that he could of developed further in year 2
* improved the players that were already in the panel
* beat a team outside of connaught

Instead what we got was

* 75% of the panel went backwards
* no new players brought in
* a distinct lack of team work
* couldn't keep the best 30 players on the panel

Its a bit much of John McCloskey to come out in the press complaining about the county board not coughing up the money, does he realise that we are in the middle of a recession ?? In fairness though McCloskey only got involved with Galway in June of this year, I'm not sure why he would want his name associated with what happened this  year.

For me the whole thing smells of "The Emperor's New Clothes", during the league we were told wait until the championship, now their saying wait until year 2 ... yea right ...

RMDrive

Quote from: Roashter on August 06, 2010, 05:21:46 PM
Agreed,
Kernan took on the task of managing one of the stronger counties who had real aspirations this year.
I know they were a bit unlucky with injuries but should not use this as an excuse.

Losing to Sligo after a replay is no disaster, but losing at home to Wexford was.
Anyone that starts any new job needs to make an impression. A poor enough league and a disaster of a championship is enough justification for him to go.

No he didn't.  He took on Galway. The same Galway that have failed to deliver in almost 10 years. The same Galway that have consoled themselves with talk like "that great game in the rain against Kerry" instead of facing up to the fact that they are not even close to being a stong county.
Every year Galway are spoken about as contenders for an AI. Apart from the obvious benefit that being in Connacht gives them, there's nothing to show that they deserve this tag.
Time to wake up Galway people. Youse have a lot of hard work to do to get back to the top table.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: RMDrive on August 07, 2010, 11:24:22 AM
Agreed,

No he didn't.  He took on Galway. The same Galway that have failed to deliver in almost 10 years. The same Galway that have consoled themselves with talk like "that great game in the rain against Kerry" instead of facing up to the fact that they are not even close to being a stong county.
Every year Galway are spoken about as contenders for an AI. Apart from the obvious benefit that being in Connacht gives them, there's nothing to show that they deserve this tag.
Time to wake up Galway people. Youse have a lot of hard work to do to get back to the top table.

I think its time for you to wake up and realize that Joe Kernan is not a good manager. There is no excuse for the performances of Galway this year. If Kernan was the God you Nordie lads always proclaim him to be then he would have improved Galway.

He is no Micko, Paidi or even Liam Kearns, thats for sure. Those lads at least leave counties in a better position than when they got them. It look like Kernan just takes teams backwards once he is out of his Armagh comfort zone.....and he's a quitter to boot !

GAAboardmod1

Lads a reminder

2. Libellous/insulting posts about a real person
   In this day and age, many more people are becoming aware of the existance of boards such as this. While this is generally a good thing, it also means that the posts are
   more likely to be read by a casual visitor to the site. In these circumstances, the board must protect itself against allegations of libel, or defamation and so any posts
   which make derogatory remarks about a named, or clearly implied, individual, are a serious breach of the rules, and dangerous to the board itself. This particularly applies
   to individuals' private lives, finances, legal issues etc etc. This also applies to unwarranted abuse of GAA players and officials.

Logan

Quote from: thebackbar on August 07, 2010, 11:13:28 AM
Quote from: Logan on August 07, 2010, 10:02:13 AM

No one in Galway was expecting an All-Ireland in year one lets be clear about this to start with. If he achieved any of the following we would  of being very happy

* brought in some new players that he could of developed further in year 2
* improved the players that were already in the panel
* beat a team outside of connaught

Instead what we got was

* 75% of the panel went backwards
* no new players brought in
* a distinct lack of team work
* couldn't keep the best 30 players on the panel

Its a bit much of John McCloskey to come out in the press complaining about the county board not coughing up the money, does he realise that we are in the middle of a recession ?? In fairness though McCloskey only got involved with Galway in June of this year, I'm not sure why he would want his name associated with what happened this  year.

For me the whole thing smells of "The Emperor's New Clothes", during the league we were told wait until the championship, now their saying wait until year 2 ... yea right ...

I don't disagree with most of that.

To me it seemed not that he was arguing about 'money' but rather he was arguing about the difference in opinion over 'professional standards' (2 trainers being the case in point here).

I think Joe made a poor gamble going on his own and sent out the SOS for McCloskey after the League realizing he had made a mistake to try and salvage something, perhaps had McCloskey been with him earlier in the year Galway might have been better prepared - but I suspect it would have been too late anyway.

Logan

Agreed,

That's why I think a 2 year plan actually made sense!

Logan

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 07, 2010, 08:56:37 PM
Agreed,

I think its time for you to wake up and realize that Joe Kernan is not a good manager. There is no excuse for the performances of Galway this year. If Kernan was the God you Nordie lads always proclaim him to be then he would have improved Galway.

He is no Micko, Paidi or even Liam Kearns, thats for sure. Those lads at least leave counties in a better position than when they got them. It look like Kernan just takes teams backwards once he is out of his Armagh comfort zone.....and he's a quitter to boot !

That's bollx

He's certainly a good manager with a proven track record.
One poor season in Galway doesn't tear that up.

skeog

did wasps not dump mc closkey did john ever kick a ball

rosnarun

i think both armagh and Joe kernan in the last few years have proven that the last 10 12 years of armagh sucess were down to a specific bunch of lads in the reight place at the right time. while armagh have gone back to their usual mediocrity kernan is on the Tom carr Gravy train the only Question is where is the next stop . please god not Mayo
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mrgaa1

It'll be Cavan, Fermanagh or Derry - probably Cavan. 

trileacman

Anyone think we should all chip in and donate a management team to Cavan, yeno with all they've suffered with incompenent bollock's through the years its the least we could do.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Logan

Quote from: skeog on August 08, 2010, 08:56:49 PM
did wasps not dump mc closkey did john ever kick a ball

I think he was on a one year contract and that's over now ... as for kicking a ball, well unless he's going to play that's hardly relevant as a coach? Joe wasn't playing for Galway this year either.

I'd be amazed if Joe ended up in Cavan.
I think you'll see Joe take a year out, John may be mentioned in connection with Cavan or Fermanagh.
I wonder if Derry would look for Joe though?