The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2022, 11:09:48 AM
Suppose it's like winning the FA cup and hiring a bus to parade it

It is absolutely nothing like the FA Cup.

Gael80

Quote from: Hound on July 16, 2022, 10:59:50 AM
Super win and fantastic to win the test series. Some phenomenal performances, Sam Cane was distraught.

If we keep everyone fit, and play to the best of our ability, we've still only have a 50% chance (at best) of winning the World Cup quarter-final - given the draw. And no injuries come the World Cup would be unlikely! So we should just enjoy this win and see what comes.

Anyone who calls test rugby series or test cricket series "friendlies" just don't understand the sports. But congrats for coming on a thread you know nothing about and highlighting your absolute ignorance!

Rugby test series are important and lucrative but not the end of the world if you win or lose them. It reminds me of the old pre christmas national league when a county celebrated a big league win against one of the best teams in the country, and talked it up as significant progress, when in reality both teams were at completly different levels of preparation and focus. Irish rugby for whatever reason peak very early which gives a false ranking which is shown up when it really counts.

bennydorano

Quote from: Gael80 on July 16, 2022, 11:27:46 AM
Super win and fantastic to win the test series. Some phenomenal performances, Sam Cane was distraught.

If we keep everyone fit, and play to the best of our ability, we've still only have a 50% chance (at best) of winning the World Cup quarter-final - given the draw. And no injuries come the World Cup would be unlikely! So we should just enjoy this win and see what comes.

Anyone who calls test rugby series or test cricket series "friendlies" just don't understand the sports. But congrats for coming on a thread you know nothing about and highlighting your absolute ignorance!

Rugby test series are important and lucrative but not the end of the world if you win or lose them. It reminds me of the old pre christmas national league when a county celebrated a big league win against one of the best teams in the country, and talked it up as significant progrees, when in reality the both teams were at completly different level of preparation and focus.
Yeah and Ireland were on an end of Season tour, NZ preparing for the Rugby Championship v South Africa, so even bigger kudos to Ireland for winning.

Bord na Mona man

A lot of the "only a friendly" lads seem to get very rattled about something they supposedly have no interest in.

RedHand88

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 16, 2022, 12:36:58 PM
A lot of the "only a friendly" lads seem to get very rattled about something they supposedly have no interest in.

John Duggan from Off The Ball called today "the biggest achievement in Irish sport since Italia 90".

If that doesn't trigger you then I don't know what to say.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 16, 2022, 12:47:16 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 16, 2022, 12:36:58 PM

John Duggan from Off The Ball called today "the biggest achievement in Irish sport since Italia 90".

If that doesn't trigger you then I don't know what to say.
Yep, and for a supposedly sports mad nation that apparently punches above our weight it's damning that getting to a WC quarter final 32 years ago is still seen as a pinnacle.

Hound

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 16, 2022, 11:05:29 AM

I hear this over and over and over again yet I've never heard any rugby fan explain the difference.
Ireland beating Scotland in the Nations League was a bigger achievement. At least it was a competitive game.
You judge everything by the rules of one sport?

The best team in English soccer is the one who wins the league, not the knockout competition. Therefore the best team in Gaelic is the one that wins the league, not the knockout competition. Your comment is equally ridiculous to that comment

Eoin Morgan captained England cricket team to win a World Cup. Yet he's not good enough to play test cricket, which has no league or knockout element at all (or barely anyway), but is still regarded by many as the most prestigious form of the game.

Test rugby is very important part of the game, and not at all like a soccer friendly. And if that annoys people, then they should ignore the thread and ignore people basking in the glory of defeating the All Blacks in their own backyard.  The NZ players and crowd were sick as dogs, that'll give you an idea of how important this was. 

Hound

England just about hold on to beat Australia. Didn't see it all but seemed to be a bit below NZ-Ire standard wise

Gael80

Quote from: Hound on July 16, 2022, 01:41:21 PM
England just about hold on to beat Australia. Didn't see it all but seemed to be a bit below NZ-Ire standard wise

Decent enough game, England better side though and deserved to win. I'd agree the quality appeared below the NZ Ireland game. England brought eight uncapped players on the tour and through one reason or another left nine players who have been in the squad at home, Jones said he used the tour to look at wider options, so you'd imagine England will become stronger and more settled over the next six months as they head into WC year.

thewobbler

It's a yes and a no for me.

The initial importance of test rugby was determined by the lack of a higher honour in the game.

Rugby world cups have grown in stature so much that their importance absolutely trumps test rugby. Teams, players and managers often therefore have no choice but to save their their ideas and their health for the higher honours.

It's still an achievement to beat NZ in a series, and one that should be celebrated. But it's not the same thing it once was.

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on July 16, 2022, 01:54:13 PM

The initial importance of test rugby was determined by the lack of a higher honour in the game.

Rugby world cups have grown in stature so much that their importance absolutely trumps test rugby. Teams, players and managers often therefore have no choice but to save their their ideas and their health for the higher honours.

It's still an achievement to beat NZ in a series, and one that should be celebrated. But it's not the same thing it once was.

Put it in this context... how many Test Series have NZ ever lost at home??

That will put it into context for you sad cases who seem happy to slate your own countrymen!!

Jesus even MacKenna is giving them credit FFS!!

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2022, 02:07:22 PM

That will put it into context for you sad cases who seem happy to slate your own countrymen!!

countrymen? it's mostly mercenaries who moved here to play for money

rugby lost it's soul when they went pro

thewobbler

Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2022, 02:07:22 PM

I'm not slating anyone.

Test rugby is comparable to the FA cup. Once upon a time it was right up there with the most prestigious of honours. Then there was a transition period where the old pros and the marketing people tried to convince everyone it still held that honour. But over the course of a few generations it has become accepted upon its new perch: something you want to win, something to celebrate, but not career defining stuff for anyone, and not even season defining stuff for elite teams.

Estimator

Teams to win series in New Zealand:
1937 South Africa
1971 B&I Lions
1986 Australia
1994 France
2022 Ireland

Consecutive New Zealand home losses:
1937 v South Africa,
1949 v Australia,
1994 v France,
1998 v South Africa/Australia,
2022 v Ireland
Ulster League Champions 2009

6th sam

Quote from: Estimator on July 16, 2022, 02:51:15 PM
Teams to win series in New Zealand:
1937 South Africa
1971 B&I Lions
1986 Australia
1994 France
2022 Ireland

Consecutive New Zealand home losses:
1937 v South Africa,
1949 v Australia,
1994 v France,
1998 v South Africa/Australia,
2022 v Ireland

Monumental result .

Can ireland maintain this for World Cup ?
That aside , the achievement stands in its own right as historic.