Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 24, 2023, 01:55:34 PM
Yes I agree, Boyle, Finnegan(s) and Hynds.

Is Hynds not about 19?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

InnocentByStander

also, Bryne (great keeper wouldn't start tho) Dowling (he would struggle to get on the reserve team) Stewart

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 24, 2023, 01:58:45 PM

Is Hynds not about 19?

doesn't matter what age he is he still wouldn't start

statto

Quote from: InnocentByStander on May 24, 2023, 01:50:55 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 24, 2023, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 01:16:16 PM
Quote from: Would ye whist on May 24, 2023, 01:06:43 PM
Being a fantastic player and All Ireland winner does not make you a great a manager

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 24, 2023, 12:53:09 PM
Quote from: bannside on May 24, 2023, 11:08:40 AM
Great post Duine. You can understand Cargin being a bit sore that they don't have players getting game time, them being at top end of Antrim football for a long time.

And I agree that its a hard slog for players falling between two stools, no game minutes for county and zero for club either. Players need to make their own mind up on where the tipping point is here, but as you say this is not particular to one club or one county, its widespread.

Adam Loughran and Dermot McAleese missed most of the league, but are playing out of their skin now for the county. Dommo has stepped up after enduring a horrific year of false promises under previous management, Mick too in goals, and how Ruari Mc Cann (St Marys) was overlooked...I can't find the right words to use.

It's a moving feast and players need to realise they might have to do a year or two apprenticeship, it happens in every county. Ps - Ronan Boyle an excellent example. Hardly kicked a ball in the league, but showed what he can do in training and in challenge games. That has to be rewarded as well regardless of what club you are attached to.

Jeez another dig at past management...and sure the all Ireland medals the hold will jump out of their hands......

Wonder who signed up the present custodian.......

I know plenty of lads with many championship medals that wouldn't get on our thirds at the time
Similarly, there is lads getting on for the last 10mins for Antrim seniors that wouldn't make our club senior team

Theres a number of players STARTING who wouldn't get anywhere near it

Give your head a wobble there are players on Antrim team that wouldn't get anywhere near Cargin team?  Cargin have decent players no doubt but they fell over the line in antrim last year and haven't done anything of note in Ulster despite a number of gos at it in recent years.     

InnocentByStander

Quote from: statto on May 24, 2023, 02:14:52 PM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on May 24, 2023, 01:50:55 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 24, 2023, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 01:16:16 PM
Quote from: Would ye whist on May 24, 2023, 01:06:43 PM
Being a fantastic player and All Ireland winner does not make you a great a manager

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 24, 2023, 12:53:09 PM
Quote from: bannside on May 24, 2023, 11:08:40 AM
Great post Duine. You can understand Cargin being a bit sore that they don't have players getting game time, them being at top end of Antrim football for a long time.

And I agree that its a hard slog for players falling between two stools, no game minutes for county and zero for club either. Players need to make their own mind up on where the tipping point is here, but as you say this is not particular to one club or one county, its widespread.

Adam Loughran and Dermot McAleese missed most of the league, but are playing out of their skin now for the county. Dommo has stepped up after enduring a horrific year of false promises under previous management, Mick too in goals, and how Ruari Mc Cann (St Marys) was overlooked...I can't find the right words to use.

It's a moving feast and players need to realise they might have to do a year or two apprenticeship, it happens in every county. Ps - Ronan Boyle an excellent example. Hardly kicked a ball in the league, but showed what he can do in training and in challenge games. That has to be rewarded as well regardless of what club you are attached to.

Jeez another dig at past management...and sure the all Ireland medals the hold will jump out of their hands......

Wonder who signed up the present custodian.......

I know plenty of lads with many championship medals that wouldn't get on our thirds at the time
Similarly, there is lads getting on for the last 10mins for Antrim seniors that wouldn't make our club senior team

Theres a number of players STARTING who wouldn't get anywhere near it

Give your head a wobble there are players on Antrim team that wouldn't get anywhere near Cargin team?  Cargin have decent players no doubt but they fell over the line in antrim last year and haven't done anything of note in Ulster despite a number of gos at it in recent years.   

Theres players from our own club on the Antrim team who are not certified starters... Cargin beat Donegal champions and gave AI runners up their toughest test in Ulster no doubt.

Saffrongael

Quote from: InnocentByStander on May 24, 2023, 02:10:37 PM

Is Hynds not about 19?

It's a bizarre argument, McEntee (who knows more than most on here I'm guessing) obviously sees something in him that he can develop.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

NorthAntrim

Lads naming people who give up a large chunk of their life to represent antim doesnt sit well with me. Andy picks his squad, his 15 and makes changes in the game, if a player in your opinion is below par, that is not their fault. Naming them will also not help. Especially young lads.

Why dont we enter Cargin in the TC next year and get a trophy back up the road??

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 24, 2023, 02:23:07 PM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on May 24, 2023, 02:10:37 PM

Is Hynds not about 19?

It's a bizarre argument, McEntee (who knows more than most on here I'm guessing) obviously sees something in him that he can develop.

It's just my opinion is this board not a place to speak you opinion??
McEntee doesnt even know what clubs some of the players play for...

Also not saying the cub isn't a good player just don't think he would start for cargin

EOC1923

Quote from: NorthAntrim on May 24, 2023, 02:24:36 PM
Lads naming people who give up a large chunk of their life to represent antim doesnt sit well with me. Andy picks his squad, his 15 and makes changes in the game, if a player in your opinion is below par, that is not their fault. Naming them will also not help. Especially young lads.

Why dont we enter Cargin in the TC next year and get a trophy back up the road??
Petty comment at the end, All about opinions is it not?

paddyjohn

Getting a bit personal here lads.

We could all throw stones at other clubs and their players but let's not.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Any football teams in North Antrim......Ballycastle..??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 24, 2023, 03:01:12 PM

Any football teams in North Antrim......Ballycastle..??

Dunloy?  Glenravel?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

Rasharkin, Ballymena, St Endas

EOC1923

Quote from: paddyjohn on May 24, 2023, 02:56:58 PM
Getting a bit personal here lads.

We could all throw stones at other clubs and their players but let's not.
Fail to see how commenting on team selection is getting personal, and pointing out a player wouldnt make a strong club team is not an insult its a way of emphasising the point