Eamon McGee on retiring, mental health struggles and drinking

Started by Real Talker, May 01, 2017, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

I would hazard a guess that more than one poster on this thread has confused Eamonn with his brother Neil.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Syferus

Quote from: Taylor on May 04, 2017, 03:50:18 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2017, 03:36:35 PM
He was good at both. Although he shouldn't really have been allowed to play the game given his pathetic antics.  Fortunately for him Mickey Harte clearly doesnt mind that sort of behaviour from his players.

Dont start this nonsense again.

Everyone has it in for M Harte. If we can get Sam back across the border there will be some sick idiots about

Ye'll be doing well to win Ulster, calm yer charge.

The Stallion

He was good at both. Although he shouldn't really have been allowed to play the game given his pathetic antics.  Fortunately for him Mickey Harte clearly doesnt mind that sort of behaviour from his players.

Everyone has it in for M Harte. If we can get Sam back across the border there will be some sick idiots about

I don't have it in for Harte. I'm just pointing out that he seems to have no problem with some of the cowardly antics his players get up to.

And I won't be at all upset if Tyrone win the All Ireland. In fact I have some money on them to do so. Bit of a gamble but you never know.

The Stallion

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on May 04, 2017, 03:52:00 PM
What utter crap being talked here about top county footballers​ not being good.
In any walk of life if you are in top 20% you would been seen as good, top 10% probably very good, top 1% probably legends or the likes.
Our county footballers especially in the top counties like Donegal are definitely good footballers. Men who consistently make championship teams year after year are fine footballers.
Someone whose career ended at u14 or spent their life on sub bench belong at the other end of scale.
You do a great disservice to our players and the GAA.

The mere fact that someone plays inter-county football does not make them automatically good at football. Even if their team is succesful. There's plenty who have little discernable ability outside of fitness and strength.

In my opinion both McGee brothers weren't very good.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2017, 04:23:06 PM
In any walk of life if you are in top 20% you would been seen as good, top 10% probably very good, top 1% probably legends or the likes.
Our county footballers especially in the top counties like Donegal are definitely good footballers. Men who consistently make championship teams year after year are fine footballers.
Someone whose career ended at u14 or spent their life on sub bench belong at the other end of scale.

The mere fact that someone plays inter-county football does not make them automatically good at football. Even if their team is succesful. There's plenty who have little discernable ability outside of fitness and strength.

In my opinion both McGee brothers weren't very good.

A lot of forwards would beg to differ. They just made it look easy, a sure sign of real class!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

redhandefender

Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2017, 04:20:51 PM

I don't have it in for Harte. I'm just pointing out that he seems to have no problem with some of the cowardly antics his players get up to.

And I won't be at all upset if Tyrone win the All Ireland. In fact I have some money on them to do so. Bit of a gamble but you never know.

More nonsense out of the Londonderry man, just get ready for your whipping in a few weeks, embarassing state of a county

Taylor

Because you make a county team doesnt mean you are a good footballer.
Some county players cant even kick the ball 10 yards.

Like enforcers on hockey teams, you have a place or role on a squad but it doesnt make you good at that chosen sport.

The Stallion

Quote from: redhandefender on May 04, 2017, 04:32:47 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2017, 04:20:51 PM

More nonsense out of the Londonderry man, just get ready for your whipping in a few weeks, embarassing state of a county

I won't be getting a whipping. I don't play for Derry or Tyrone. I won't be particularly upset if Derry lose by a cricket score but if it makes you feel better go ahead and gloat about the result of a game you didn't play in.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rosnarun on May 04, 2017, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2017, 11:28:04 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on May 02, 2017, 10:30:29 AM
he was a nasty thug on the pitch , ask Enda Varley and many others and his of pitch attempt to come across as the thinking mans footballer are laughable. Id prefer to judge people by their actions rather than the BS they concoct in a radio studio to sound good.

What a load of bollocks.

He was no angel on the pitch, like many others, but what has that got to do with what he says on twitter or in an interview?

One has nothing to do with the other.
I agree with you in so far as i I could not give a toss  what he says on twitter . we saw the Character of the man on the pitch how he reacted to being beaten and it was not pretty ,

Did we see the character of Cillian O'Connor when he drew a wild kick on a Kerry player in injury time against Kerry a few years back and was sent off?

Did Mayo fans ever hear about the old adage of people who live in glass houses?

T Fearon

Surely Donegal players have mental health and drinking issues long before retirement?

rosnarun

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 04, 2017, 05:43:17 PM
he was a nasty thug on the pitch , ask Enda Varley and many others and his of pitch attempt to come across as the thinking mans footballer are laughable. Id prefer to judge people by their actions rather than the BS they concoct in a radio studio to sound good.

What a load of bollocks.

He was no angel on the pitch, like many others, but what has that got to do with what he says on twitter or in an interview?

I agree with you in so far as i I could not give a toss  what he says on twitter . we saw the Character of the man on the pitch how he reacted to being beaten and it was not pretty ,

Did we see the character of Cillian O'Connor when he drew a wild kick on a Kerry player in injury time against Kerry a few years back and was sent off?

a wild kick in injury time in the course of a game bears no relation to cynical and hugely dangerous off the ball head stamping McGee  engaged in .I believe this to be a particularly bad dose of what our northern friends call Whataboutery .
and as for his 'Mental health issues ' it become the New ' go on hit me with the child in my arms defense' and an insult to people who suffer real problem ,
by his own evidence Mcgee go nervous before game and drank too much hardly a need to bring Freud out of retirement for that one,
but it may help his column
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Taylor

While I cant believe i am saying this the more I think about it the more Piers Morgan has a point about mental health.

Huge numbers of people are using it as the real cases are lost among the myriad

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rosnarun on May 08, 2017, 11:08:17 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 04, 2017, 05:43:17 PM

What a load of bollocks.

a wild kick in injury time in the course of a game bears no relation to cynical and hugely dangerous off the ball head stamping McGee  engaged in .I believe this to be a particularly bad dose of what our northern friends call Whataboutery .
and as for his 'Mental health issues ' it become the New ' go on hit me with the child in my arms defense' and an insult to people who suffer real problem ,
by his own evidence Mcgee go nervous before game and drank too much hardly a need to bring Freud out of retirement for that one,
but it may help his column

He didn't stamp on his head. What is evident is the histrionics and faux outrage you are engaging in when lacking introspection into your own players. You can call it whataboutery but I call it balance and if you are unwilling to cast your same preachy morals onto your own players then you should leave the theatrical outrage at the door. I suppose Lee Keegan trying to choke Diarmuid Connolly out a couple of years ago was just a bit of playful grappling and nothing like cynical, off the ball and hugely dangerous antics that Mayo players don't engage in.

I await your across the board condemnation.

Keyser soze

God there are some eejits on this board. The rarefied stratosphere of ability and conduct that you attempt to measure amateur players against is frightening.

That McMenamim was a dirty wee hoor and I hated him but by god he was some footballer and some leader on a field. Any county would love to have a guy like that on their team. Mc Gee was neither as dirty or as good but still a great defender.

Lads on here spouting about bad players winning All Irelands, ffs catch yourself on, all that demonstrates is how little you know about the levels of ability and commitment needed to make a county squad.

Jinxy

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 09, 2017, 12:28:23 PM
God there are some eejits on this board. The rarefied stratosphere of ability and conduct that you attempt to measure amateur players against is frightening.

That McMenamim was a dirty wee hoor and I hated him but by god he was some footballer and some leader on a field. Any county would love to have a guy like that on their team. Mc Gee was neither as dirty or as good but still a great defender.

Lads on here spouting about bad players winning All Irelands, ffs catch yourself on, all that demonstrates is how little you know about the levels of ability and commitment needed to make a county squad.

Speak for yourself.
If you were any use you'd be playing.