The Official Roscommon Thread

Started by Shrewdness, November 30, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 01, 2015, 05:12:35 PM
actually seven teams play in Connacht, right?

Yes and although they have been called ducks in here . London are the only team in Connacht to not lose to Mayo every time since five in a row . ( think I'm right there )
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

Quote from: larryin89 on December 01, 2015, 05:18:53 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 01, 2015, 05:12:35 PM
actually seven teams play in Connacht, right?

Yes and although they have been called ducks in here . London are the only team in Connacht to not lose to Mayo every time since 2011 and start of five in a row . ( think I'm right there )

Beffs

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2015, 04:19:31 PM
Quote from: Beffs on December 01, 2015, 03:41:01 PM
There are 12 counties in Leinster & only 5 in Connaught...so you do the sums.
3 soft games with winning margins of 15+ points is a soft passage.

I presume you are referring to Dublin? Last time I checked, there are 31 other counties.  ;)

Last year, Mayo, Cork & Kerry only had to play ONE game to reach their provincial final.

Westmeath and Donegal had to play THREE games to reach their provincial final.

Explain to me how that is fair, or doesn't hand counties from Munster and Connaught a handy route into the last round of the qualifiers and/or the AI quarter finals?

larryin89

Quote from: Beffs on December 01, 2015, 05:48:24 PM

I presume you are referring to Dublin? Last time I checked, there are 31 other counties.  ;)

Last year, Mayo, Cork & Kerry only had to play ONE game to reach their provincial final.

Explain to me how that is fair, or doesn't hand counties from Munster and Connaught a handy route into the last round of the qualifiers and/or the AI quarter finals?

No system is perfect but if the best team in the competition wins it , which most of the time it does bar ridiculous refereeing like (14 in Limerick or pat the bollix cheating basta ard in 96) it's pretty fair.

Beffs

Yeah, but the uneven starting points and uneven number of games, mean that its not a level playing field, when it comes to determining who the best teams actually are.

Take Donegal & Tyrone for example. Both drawn to play the preliminary round in Ulster in something like 4 out of 5 years. Both need to have all their ducks in a row, with all of their player fit and healthy by late May. Whereas Cork and Kerry can sit back and basically scratch their arses until late July, resting older players, giving lads who are rehabbing injuries additional time to recover etc. So by the time August rolls around, they are fit and raring to go.

The Ulster counties don't have that luxury. I'd like to see how many AI quarter finals Cork and Kerry would make (never mind winning the whole thing,) if they started their season that early &  they had to go thru all 4 rounds of the qualifiers on a regular basis.

Rossfan

Abolish ye're feckin Ulster Championship if it's that big a hindrance.
Cork didn't make the Quarters this year ;)

Larry Mayowestros bet London in 2013 .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2015, 06:48:53 PM

We did surely but that's not what I said . London drew with Mayo in 2011 over in Ruislip and I'm pretty sure that's the only team in Connacht to do so v Mayo since five in a row started hence " the only team to not lose everytime in Connacht to Mayo in said era is London "

Beffs

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2015, 06:48:53 PM

Ah no. We have to keep the Ulster champo. What else are we going to ring up Joe Duffy to complain about?

muppet

Fine, open draw it is then.

Every first named team gets home advantage.

It would be nice to see your team drawn away to Kerry or Tyrone in May.
MWWSI 2017

Beffs

Yep. Open draw.

Or just re gig the current provincial format to 4 geographical regions, with 8 counties in each one. North, South, East & West.

Everyone starts their season on the same day.

Problem solved.

( Bagsie not be the one to have to tell one Ulster county (Donegal maybe?) that they aren't in Ulster/Northern region anymore. They are now Men of The Whest ! )

seafoid

Dublin had to play NO games to get to the AIQF. the standard of competition in Leinster is abysmal.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Beffs

What are you talking about? Dublin played 4 games before the AI quarter final.

(That is double what Mayo and Kerry played.)

Or are you trying to be all funny and ironical and stuff?

Right you are.

giveballaghback

Well lar where did you say you were backing Sligo? On november 23 on the connacht club thread and I quote, " I will back Sligo to sicken them again in the Connacht semi-final".
My first language is bog latin and I speak a little English but even I can decipher that.
So come on lets get it on, how about a grand and if Ny or Leitrim beat us you win. 

Blowitupref

Quote from: giveballaghback on December 01, 2015, 10:34:15 PM
Well lar where did you say you were backing Sligo? On november 23 on the connacht club thread and I quote, " I will back Sligo to sicken them again in the Connacht semi-final".
My first language is bog latin and I speak a little English but even I can decipher that.
So come on lets get it on, how about a grand and if Ny or Leitrim beat us you win.

Lar right now  ;)

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Lar Naparka

Quote from: giveballaghback on December 01, 2015, 10:34:15 PM

Dear me.. ;D

Maybe you might care to go back again and quote the full sentence I wrote. I mean the bit before the comma thingy.

Here, I'll save you the bother:

If they don't do well in the forthcoming league, I'll back Sligo to sicken then again in the Connacht semi-final.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi