Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubhaltach

Quote from: joemamas on September 29, 2015, 12:58:38 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 29, 2015, 12:32:41 AM
Moy I have great respect for you but surely the CB would not purposely hinder our chances just to slap the wrists of some players .

Everyone supporters included need to keep cool heads here. The two bucks will go cause they've lost the dressing room . Who takes th boot seat, I don't have a clue.

Larry,

I have respect for you, but do you live on planet earth.
Look at cast of characters involved over past 3-5 years, do not want to generalize but look at their record in every aspect.
Ballymagash town council would maybe have outdone them

Btw the players now need to know they have our unreserved support.
They bloody well deserve it as well.

Fully agree with that. There's a danger here of people being swayed by the old 'players getting too big for their boots' line. These lads have given so much to the cause over the past few years. I'm sure they didn't come to this decision lightly. 

moysider

Quote from: maigheo on September 29, 2015, 01:05:26 AM
The way I read it is the players are against the management structure which could mean that  they do not want joint managers and just want one man in charge which I would think would be Connelly or maybe I am completely wrong.It probably was a done deal to appoint Connelly and Holmes but McStay torpedoed his own chances when he wanted monetary compensation for the sunday game gig which I for one would never have agreed to.A complete mess and I guess the only viable option would be James Horan if the H and C are forced to resign

Not sure Horan would be in a position to commit again? Not sure he would be the best step now either.

I think you are right about the management structure and the big issue was with the senior partner. But H&C came in as a package and should walk as a package. But a likely scenario is that a compromised might be reached and another deal is done and Connelly stays on as manager and more spit and polish from the board. Bad scenario imo. Both have to go. Chairman has no cred either now. Either to be on a body to appoint new management or to have any say in appointing a body to appoint a new management team.

Captain Obvious

If the Mayo players get their wish to replace this management with a better one and Mayo end up doing worse than this year what then?

maigheo

I think you are right Moy.Both will have to go no matter what.Back last Oct. I was very much in favor of Connelly being appointed but when it became a joint ticket I felt completely deflated.You are also probably right about Horan not being the correct call at this stage but who else is there except J.M.Why oh why did Mikey Sweeney get blocked down with that last point attempt  the first day out v Dublin? >:( >:( >:(

Syferus

Surely Stephen Rochford is the real obvious choice? Works in Castlerea though so you mightn't like the scent on him.

J70

Quote from: maigheo on September 29, 2015, 01:05:26 AM
The way I read it is the players are against the management structure which could mean that  they do not want joint managers and just want one man in charge which I would think would be Connelly or maybe I am completely wrong.It probably was a done deal to appoint Connelly and Holmes but McStay torpedoed his own chances when he wanted monetary compensation for the sunday game gig which I for one would never have agreed to.A complete mess and I guess the only viable option would be James Horan if the H and C are forced to resign

Did Horan not walk partly due to having a young family?

maigheo

That was the main reason J70 and the more I think about it I do not see him coming back this year.Also I do not think Stephen rochsford will be considered as he wasn't  nominated for the u 21 position which by the way will be picked tonite.Hard to believe it but John Maughan stands as good a chance as anyone of being appointed if H and C walk and anyone referencing the Cork hurlers mutiny a few years ago did they not win a few all irelands after ?

Il Bomber Destro

Why are the Mayo fans and players blaming their management team throughout this?

They were in a winning position with 15 minutes to go when their player's bottle collapsed. Not much their managers can do when Cillian O'Connor fails to track a runner back or Cafferkey shows Brogan down the inside of him, when Keegan fluffs a free shot from 20 yards out or when Hennelly pussies out of  60/40 ball in his favour.

To be honest it probably says a lot about the character of the players and why they haven't won an All Ireland in that time period. When you're in those winning positions with not long left on the clock, a manager can't do it for you.

Tubberman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 29, 2015, 07:54:58 AM
Why are the Mayo fans and players blaming their management team throughout this?

They were in a winning position with 15 minutes to go when their player's bottle collapsed. Not much their managers can do when Cillian O'Connor fails to track a runner back or Cafferkey shows Brogan down the inside of him, when Keegan fluffs a free shot from 20 yards out or when Hennelly pussies out of  60/40 ball in his favour.

To be honest it probably says a lot about the character of the players and why they haven't won an All Ireland in that time period. When you're in those winning positions with not long left on the clock, a manager can't do it for you.

Valid questions there, but there have been rumblings of discontent since early in the league campaign. The players were used to a top class setup under Horan, and the H&C setup obviously didn't meet the same standards. So there would be a line of thought that the players got themselves into a winning position against Dublin in spite of the mgmt setup rather than because of it.

I'm only looking in from the outside though, so I don't have any idea of the rights and wrongs. But I have great admiration for that bunch of players, and I don't believe they would take this type of decision unless they felt it was stopping them reaching their potential and their goals.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Chimley

If you ask why did Mayo collapse in the last 15 minutes then the answer may lie in the prearations during the 6 day turnaround. The responsibility for how the team were prepared lies with management.

highorlow

This news and the popes visit to Ireland is no coincidence.

Watch this space.

Frankie is our man for sam.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mjg

Will be shocked if this wont break a hundred pages

Nihilist

Quote from: mjg on September 29, 2015, 09:27:09 AM
Will be shocked if this wont break a hundred pages

Adding posts like these 2 certainly will help.

ashman

Whatever the ins and outs of this the players really have put savage pressure on themselves.  If they get a new manager there is savage pressure to deliver.

This will be fascinating .

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Tubberman on September 29, 2015, 08:12:33 AM

Valid questions there, but there have been rumblings of discontent since early in the league campaign. The players were used to a top class setup under Horan, and the H&C setup obviously didn't meet the same standards. So there would be a line of thought that the players got themselves into a winning position against Dublin in spite of the mgmt setup rather than because of it.

I'm only looking in from the outside though, so I don't have any idea of the rights and wrongs. But I have great admiration for that bunch of players, and I don't believe they would take this type of decision unless they felt it was stopping them reaching their potential and their goals.

There is no doubt the management team could have done things differently but at the end of the day when you're in the position Mayo were with about 15 mins to go, completely dominant and in the driving seat to win that game then it's in the players hands.

At that stage of the game Mayo did panic, they had defended solidly for that length of the game, worked hard, tackled ferociously and were breaking Dublin's spirit then some unforgivable mistakes crept in and sadly for Mayo it's a familiar pattern for this group of players with making unforgivable mistakes when they're nearly there.

I don't think there's a lot management can do with that, this for me is to with players intuition and their mental resolve. I know this group of Mayo players have given a lot over the last few years but it reflects very poorly on them to blame management for this year.