"Historic" win for PSNI

Started by Donagh, November 18, 2006, 01:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

From the BBC (so excuse the obvious error)
--------------
-------------

PSNI GAA team in first gardai win

McCarthy cup

The McCarthy cup is named after an RUC officer who was in the GAA

The PSNI's Gaelic football team have beaten their counterparts in the gardai for the first time.

In the fifth annual game between the two police services, the PSNI team won the match, by 15 points to eight.

Speaking in Dublin after the game, PSNI Deputy Chief Constable Paul Leighton described the victory as "historic".

Members of the security forces were barred from playing hurling and football until the GAA scrapped its controversial Rule 21 five years ago.

Mr Leighton added: "This has been a great result for our Gaelic footballers and is just reward for the time and effort they give."

The McCarthy Cup is named after Thomas St George McCarthy, a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary who was one of the founding members of the GAA in 1884.

Sky Blue

Good fair play to them. Good to see gaelic games moving forward and new teams being formed. Would many of the player be former B Specials or are they all catholics who used to play at school but stoped because on the ban?
The McCarthy Cup is named after Thomas St George McCarthy, a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary who was one of the founding members of the GAA in 1884. Is this true? When did the ban start?

Orior

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 18, 2006, 10:12:47 AM
Are the team-sheets actually made public? I would be interested in who actually plays for the PSNI. I know one ex-Downpatrick player was playing for them, I wondered if he was still playing.

And are the names submitted in Irish?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

The Meadow

take it Sky Blue you have never been stopped on the side of the road by your new friends the PSNI !! Dont think this deserves a new subject!! Keep it to the Dubs site!! >:(

Dubh driocht

Meadow,Maybe you should think about another site - one that encourages the loss of jobs in Newry or West Belfast after B and Q firebombs. Have you been stopped on the side of the road by the PSNI ? Tell us about it - and be honest !

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 18, 2006, 05:44:36 PM
Meadow,Maybe you should think about another site - one that encourages the loss of jobs in Newry or West Belfast after B and Q firebombs. Have you been stopped on the side of the road by the PSNI ? Tell us about it - and be honest !
Yes because if you have a problem with the RUC playing our games you must approve of firebombs  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Dubh driocht

POG- point is PSNI is not the RUC. RUC never had a team.RUC never had an ombudsman.Presume you agree we need a police service ?So what  do you want?No PSNI acknowlegement of GAA?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 18, 2006, 06:04:01 PM
POG- point is PSNI is not the RUC. RUC never had a team.RUC never had an ombudsman.Presume you agree we need a police service ?So what  do you want?No PSNI acknowlegement of GAA?
The PSNI is the RUC and it going on the past 35 years or so maybe it would be better if they just didnt acknowledge the gaa.

Rossfan

Good lads -stick to the past and God forbid any of ye might look to the future !!!!
How will ye manage to drop all the anti PSNI stuff next March when ye're favourite political party tells its followers the peelers are now OK ? :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pintsofguinness

QuoteGood lads -stick to the past and God forbid any of ye might look to the future !!!!
Easy said when you live in roscommon.

Rossfan

Doesnt matter where you live Pint - the past is still the past - you can but remember it and look to the future.
The future is the only thing we can influence  - "Think of the kids Pint" (apologies to Tommy Gorman)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2006, 09:01:57 PM
Doesnt matter where you live Pint - the past is still the past - you can but remember it and look to the future.
The future is the only thing we can influence  - "Think of the kids Pint" (apologies to Tommy Gorman)
::) Thanks for the lecture.  I can flick a switch, forget about everything that's happened and I'll move on.  ::)

ONeill

Lads, if you think the PSNI=RUC mantra rings true in 2006, you're greatly mistaken. The numbers (and political persuasion) of people signing up to this career in republican West Belfast would astound you.  SF may not have publicly backed it, but on the ground moves are much further ahead. But that's for another board.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ONeill on November 18, 2006, 09:41:09 PM
Lads, if you think the PSNI=RUC mantra rings true in 2006, you're greatly mistaken. The numbers (and political persuasion) of people signing up to this career in republican West Belfast would astound you.  SF may not have publicly backed it, but on the ground moves are much further ahead. But that's for another board.
That's not my experience in south armagh.

dubnut

"seems to be winning its battle for hearts and minds"

"Hearts and minds" the political buzzword of the last few years.
Next person that says hearts and minds to me gets a slap!