Sam Maguire Group 4 - Derry, Clare, Monaghan, Donegal

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAABoardMod5

May 20th   Clare v Donegal, Cusack Park, 2pm
May 27th   Derry vs Monaghan, Celtic Park, 7pm, GAAGO

June 4th   Monaghan v Clare, St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 2pm
June 4th   Donegal v Derry, MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey, 4pm (RTÉ)

June 17/18   Derry v Clare, TBD
June 17/18   Monaghan v Donegal, TBD

J70

Apparently there is a chance Paddy McBrearty will be back, at least in the squad, for the Donegal-Monaghan game. Although even if he is, it will be hard to see him being anywhere fit and sharp enough to have much of an impact. Might help us keep the score a little more respectable if we do scrape a quarter final play-off spot.

Mogan is a possibility too. Langan is gone for the season.

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on May 24, 2023, 10:36:19 AM
Apparently there is a chance Paddy McBrearty will be back, at least in the squad, for the Donegal-Monaghan game. Although even if he is, it will be hard to see him being anywhere fit and sharp enough to have much of an impact. Might help us keep the score a little more respectable if we do scrape a quarter final play-off spot.

Mogan is a possibility too. Langan is gone for the season.

Probably into that already. Need three teams to finish on 2 points and then scoring difference will be used to decide 3rd and 4th in the table. The likelihood of Clare beating one of Monaghan or Derry?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Estimator

After his performance last Saturday, Derry fans won't be too impressed to learn that Noel Mooney is down to referee the fixture with Donegal in Ballybofey.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Brendan

Quote from: Estimator on May 29, 2023, 02:40:22 PM
After his performance last Saturday, Derry fans won't be too impressed to learn that Noel Mooney is down to referee the fixture with Donegal in Ballybofey.

Was convinced I had read that wrong, how can it be that a Referee does the same Team twice in a year let along twice in a week with the panel they have, don't think you'd even get that at club level

oakleaflad

Quote from: Brendan on May 29, 2023, 03:26:08 PM

Was convinced I had read that wrong, how can it be that a Referee does the same Team twice in a year let along twice in a week with the panel they have, don't think you'd even get that at club level
Referee is apparently changed to Brendan Cawley

quit yo jibbajabba

Cunny Funt

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 30, 2023, 12:32:05 PM

A ref swap with the Mayo v Louth match. Noel Mooney now the ref when it was orginally Brendan Cawley

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 30, 2023, 12:32:05 PM

That's a real pity because, if it had been a poor game, I was hoping to play "Which way will he give the free this time?" and "Was that close enough to give a point?" to keep me entertained.

bennydorano

Could be a very tricky fixture for Derry in Ballybofey, Donegal are always a horrible team to play against, plus they have got bugger all to lose in this one as well. A win away in Clare is solid form.

tbrick18

Given Derry's form over the last two games, I think this will be a really difficult game.
We need to improve on the performances. If we lose this game, we could be looking at 3rd place instead of top.
If Donegal win, they'd be in pole position to top the group with Derry and Monaghan fighting for 2nd place.
I can't see Clare beating either Derry or Monaghan, but who knows - the group is wide open given the draw last weekend.

Armagh18

Surely Donegal aren't going to give Derry much trouble. Although I would have said the same about Westmeath and us!

seafoid

Considering Donegal were considered as 4th place material before the Clare match, relegated and beaten by Down, it's interesting to see them talked up now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

I think you are seeing a drop off in Derry due to the absence of Gallagher. Both Donegal and Derry now have caretaker managers and the uncertainty can't be good for either team. That game will not be one for the purist and I'd predict a horrible spectacle and the fact that it is in Ballybofey there won't be much in it. If Derry get out with any sort of victory they would sign up for that now.

tbrick18

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2023, 12:15:41 PM
I think you are seeing a drop off in Derry due to the absence of Gallagher. Both Donegal and Derry now have caretaker managers and the uncertainty can't be good for either team. That game will not be one for the purist and I'd predict a horrible spectacle and the fact that it is in Ballybofey there won't be much in it. If Derry get out with any sort of victory they would sign up for that now.

Yeah that's my take too.
Earlier in the year I would have had us in with a real chance of an AI. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if we finished 3rd in the group and got knocked out in the QF.
The loss of Gallagher is huge for this team in terms of the intensity he drew out of the players. That has definitely been missing the last 2 games.