Favourite Pub in Ireland

Started by toby47, April 28, 2023, 09:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You walk into a pub, what's your first drink?

A stout
A pint of beer
A Cider
A wee one (Whisky, Gin, Vodka etc)
Bottle of beer
Other

toby47

What would be your favourite pub in ireland? Can be North or South.

Might be a bar you've been to once, visit once a year, or go to every weekend.

A few of us talking about doing a tour of Ireland this summer and trying to visit good bars along the way. 2 fellas have already stated 2 bars that we have to visit.

• Sean's Bar, Athlone. (Ireland and Europe's oldest, still functioning, bar)
  • Johnny Foxes, Glencullin. (Anyone who's been will know why)

laoislad

There's a small little pub on Fleet St in Dublin called Bowes that I like to go to sometimes,no loud music banging over speakers, a bit of an old man's pub if you know what I mean,and a great pint of Guinness. A pub you could just go it to on your own and not be bothered. 

If you like pubs like Sean's Bar and Johnny Foxes then Morriseys in Abbeyleix is of a similar nature and pretty well known.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rudi

Quote from: toby47 on April 28, 2023, 09:19:21 AM

A few of us talking about doing a tour of Ireland this summer and trying to visit good bars along the way. 2 fellas have already stated 2 bars that we have to visit.

Would agree with both of those. I was in Johnny Foxes last summer for some food, was really awful stuff & pretty pricey. The wife ate a quarter of her dinner, it was that bad. Its still worth a visit, loads of nooks & crannies.

Seans anytime of day, any time of year is a great spot. Sometimes far to packed with out of towners during peak tourist season.

Glen Bar in the village of Glen, close to Downings is worth a visit, old style pub with good food, although a wee bit over taken by Nordies  ;D

Truth hurts

The old Tom in Castlewellan and Lowry's in Hilltown county Down.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: toby47 on April 28, 2023, 09:19:21 AM

Had 2 enjoyable nights in Sean's last week. Packed both nights which is some going on a Tue and Wed! Good pints and a courtyard out the back if you need to escape the crowds.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on April 28, 2023, 09:34:26 AM
There's a small little pub on Fleet St in Dublin called Bowes that I like to go to sometimes,no loud music banging over speakers, a bit of an old man's pub if you know what I mean,and a great pint of Guinness. A pub you could just go it to on your own and not be bothered. 

If you like pubs like Sean's Bar and Johnny Foxes then Morriseys in Abbeyleix is of a similar nature and pretty well known.
Bowes is on my list. One of those Guinness review sites (might have been guinnessguru) gave the pint an almost perfect score.

ardtole

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 28, 2023, 09:52:11 AM

Bowes is on my list. One of those Guinness review sites (might have been guinnessguru) gave the pint an almost perfect score.

Bowes would be a go to pub for me when I'm in Dublin, worked beside it for over a year and called in regular enough. The pint is genuinely worth the hype.

gerrykeegan

I would echo the comments on Bowes and the pint is really good. Can get busy.
O'Loclainn's whiskey bar in Ballyvaughan is a great experience, only opens at 8pm! The pint is excellent and they have an unbelievable selection of spirits.
Can get busy as it is small.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

The Subbie

Not a Dublin City centre pub , but at Portabello, Ned O'Connels
Used to live in Portobello many moons ago and Ned's was for pinting  and the better known Portobello was for pulling
Spent many an afternoon in Ned's , great pub , good pint - hope it is unchanged

Rois

Found ourselves in Teac Jack in Bunbeg after Christmas.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but there was a trad music festival on in the area, and they were hosting a guitar session in the bar, the fire was lit, it was lashing outside, the wild Atlantic was down below us, and in between the music, I sat listening to the lads at the bar chatting away as gaeilge.  Brilliant.

Other than the fact that I was driving and had a 10 month old and 2 year old with me.  Despite that, the OH had a pint and was sent another one by a local fella in the bar who saw him dipping his finger in and letting the baby taste it. 

Rudi

Quote from: Rois on April 28, 2023, 10:51:32 AM
Found ourselves in Teac Jack in Bunbeg after Christmas.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but there was a trad music festival on in the area, and they were hosting a guitar session in the bar, the fire was lit, it was lashing outside, the wild Atlantic was down below us, and in between the music, I sat listening to the lads at the bar chatting away as gaeilge.  Brilliant.

Other than the fact that I was driving and had a 10 month old and 2 year old with me.  Despite that, the OH had a pint and was sent another one by a local fella in the bar who saw him dipping his finger in and letting the baby taste it.

Thats Teac Jack Glassagh, a pub out on its own, serving food. Wouldnt be my cup of tea, each to their own I suppose. Hiudais in Bunbeg or Leos & Tessies Meelaleck would be better options in my humble opinion. In fact if you have 2 kids under 2, staying in the house would be better  :D, not easy going anywhere with 2 that young. Fair play for trying all the same.

maddog

Quote from: Rois on April 28, 2023, 10:51:32 AM

Stayed in teac Jacks twice and loved it both times. Its not the Hilton for sure but good vibe in the bar with the live music. Weird to hear Irish being spoke by some with Glaswegian accents, lots of cross over that area to Scotland. Sean Ogs just up the road is sound as well.

AustinPowers

Has Seán ogs not  closed? Or maybe it's  reduced it's food service days? I know  the hotel in gweedore had shut  so maybe I'm getting mixed up

Anyway Seán ogs  was a great spot and great  food too. Been maybe 8 or 9 year since I been up there though

RossieBull

Bowe's is a fantastic pub. One of my faves when in Dublin. Also The Bankers and The Dawson Lounge.

You have Freeney's in Galway. Murphy's across the street is opening up again soon, hopefully it'll have kept the same character.
JJ Harlow's in Roscommon town is another great pub.