Previous topic - Next topic

Predict the winner

Derry
22 (66.7%)
Monaghan
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

armaghniac

Derry introduced the ambush in the All Ireland series in 2001. Monaghan were below par the last day, they might well improve. This new format gives the provincial champions a highly ranked team at home, but as their first game so that you have to get back on the horse first thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Snipped
Quote from: God14 on May 23, 2023, 02:07:24 PM

Its hard to beat the same team twice in the championship, certainly in Ulster. Monaghan will have learnt most from the first game, thats for sure.

In 2009 the Bradley bro's beat Monaghan twice in the championship.

Monaghan should be making some changes,  McCarron's still in dodgy territory, Ryan McAnespie has returned to the squad, Darren Hughes could be replaced by his brother,
both Dessie Ward and  Garry Mohan  should be more match fit this time. That's a lot of maybes and even with all those working out, there's still a lot of ground to make up on Derry.

Walter Cronc

Definitely see this game as a potential banana skin. Expect Monaghan to be a lot more competitive and will have learnt plenty from the first game. Would like to see McFaul n Murray both start and a few more squad players used across the 3 group games.

Wildweasel74

Derry will be again too strong for them, I like to see Mcfaul Start and Murray. What's happened Downey, he went from been one of the subs to not featuring.

markl121

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 23, 2023, 10:12:11 PM
Derry will be again too strong for them, I like to see Mcfaul Start and Murray. What's happened Downey, he went from been one of the subs to not featuring.
don't know if he's good enough, playing his football in Antrim wouldn't help

Derryman forever

Quote from: markl121 on May 23, 2023, 11:04:57 PM

Yep, it really does seem like an act of self harm, misplaced pride and arrogance will always bring you down.
But I don't think it was the young fellas own decision.

Wildweasel74

Can't fathom grounds to move to a, Belfast club, when you don't live there, how's that work. Where did the younger lads go to.

restorepride

Quote from: markl121 on May 23, 2023, 11:04:57 PM
He is good enough.

Estimator

Derry goin with the tried and tested once again.

Team named just the same as the one that actually started the Ulster Final: Heron replacing Padraig Cassidy in the starting line up.
The two lads that missed out on the Ulster Final 26 are still out - M Downey and O McWilliams
Ulster League Champions 2009

tbrick18

Quote from: Estimator on May 26, 2023, 10:42:08 AM

Team named just the same as the one that actually started the Ulster Final: Heron replacing Padraig Cassidy in the starting line up.
The two lads that missed out on the Ulster Final 26 are still out - M Downey and O McWilliams

What's the story with McWilliams? Is he injured?

oakleaflad

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2023, 11:30:26 AM
Enda McGinley predicting our demise already . . .

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0525/1385632-mcginley-derry-dip-possible-in-group-stages/
He also said we'd struggle to name a panel of 26 a couple weeks ago when there was 30+ in the panel. Was completely bluffing.

Though I think Monaghan should learn more from the last game and make this one much closer. That may be perceived as a dip from Derry but I think we'll play in a similar way even if the result is a lot closer.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2023, 11:30:26 AM
Enda McGinley predicting our demise already . . .

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0525/1385632-mcginley-derry-dip-possible-in-group-stages/

McGinley is a very good pundit but hopefully he's wrong on this one. I heard last week that Mcwilliams had a nasty leg injury but he's getting closer to fitness again.

Estimator

No McManus in the starting 15 for Monaghan.
Count 3 personnel changes and an abundance of positional switches.
Big Mohan and McAnespie change the entire outlook of that side.
Ulster League Champions 2009

toby47

Quote from: Estimator on May 26, 2023, 10:42:08 AM

Is M Downey injured or just struggling to make the step up to senior?