Ulster U20 and Minor Championships 2024

Started by Captain Obvious, March 22, 2023, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Funny I would listed Murray at least, and possible use Murray as a last resort. I suppose what more important, making a senior Ulster final, where based on the last game he maybe play 5-10mins .possible Losing a, U-20 final or actually lose both.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 25, 2023, 10:52:27 PM
Funny I would listed Murray at least, and possible use Murray as a last resort. I suppose what more important, making a senior Ulster final, where based on the last game he maybe play 5-10mins .possible Losing a, U-20 final or actually lose both.

I'd let all U20s play in the U20 final. Plenty of time for them to play for the seniors including this year with the upcoming group stage.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

shawshank

Total short termism from Gallagher. No consideration for the players in this team and what winning this does do to their county self belief for the future. All about his own position and one game in a few days time.

toby47

Quote from: shawshank on April 26, 2023, 10:14:29 AM
Total short termism from Gallagher. No consideration for the players in this team and what winning this does do to their county self belief for the future. All about his own position and one game in a few days time.

Probably shows the difference in having an 'inside' and an 'outside' manager. If Down win the u20's and Derry win an Ulster senior championship have both managers made the right call?

ardtole

I only saw the Derry 1st 15 named so details of the wider panel, and no info regarding the Down team at all.

The Derry lads in question could yet be named in the 26 and the few changes before throw in take place.

I'm only going of the Derry twitter page so apologies if the 26 have been named elsewhere.

Walter Cronc

At elite sport level (which let's face it GAA is) a talented u18 or u20 that's good enough for seniors would play seniors. If it came to it who would Evan Ferguson play for? Ireland seniors or underage. I reckon seniors every day.

toby47

Quote from: ardtole on April 26, 2023, 10:45:55 AM
I only saw the Derry 1st 15 named so details of the wider panel, and no info regarding the Down team at all.

The Derry lads in question could yet be named in the 26 and the few changes before throw in take place.

I'm only going of the Derry twitter page so apologies if the 26 have been named elsewhere.

Both teams only named 24 in the programme.

naka

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 26, 2023, 11:50:26 AM
At elite sport level (which let's face it GAA is) a talented u18 or u20 that's good enough for seniors would play seniors. If it came to it who would Evan Ferguson play for? Ireland seniors or underage. I reckon seniors every day.
a medal is not to be sniffed at
not too many chances for guys to win them

Walter Cronc

Underage football is about producing players. It's not a win at all costs mentality. Senior football is. Especially in Derry where our Ulster champ record is pitiful.

square_ball

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 26, 2023, 11:50:26 AM

Like David Clifford did.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 26, 2023, 12:43:29 PM
Underage football is about producing players. It's not a win at all costs mentality. Senior football is. Especially in Derry where our Ulster champ record is pitiful.
That's it. In general i'm happy we seem to have a series of very strong underage teams coming through (regardless of winning it or not). This can only help to supplement the senior side if we want to cement ourselves as one of the better sides in the country in the coming years.

Captain Obvious

Does Derry seniors need to be relying on teenagers to win championship games? I'm sure Derry's objective is to reach another senior All Ireland semi final and that can be done without winning Ulster this year more so than last year.  U20 final tonight is knock out and should Derry win it's a decent opportunity to win All Ireland, not allowing your better players play lessen that opportunity.

In 2018 Kerry choose to play David Clifford with the seniors instead of the U20s. Had he played for the U20s I'd have no doubt they would have won that All Ireland, Kerry seniors made their exit at the last eight stage a decision that was worth doing?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 26, 2023, 03:24:16 PM
Does Derry seniors need to be relying on teenagers to win championship games? I'm sure Derry's objective is to reach another senior All Ireland semi final and that can be done without winning Ulster this year more so than last year.  U20 final tonight is knock out and should Derry win it's a decent opportunity to win All Ireland, not allowing your better players play lessen that opportunity.

In 2018 Kerry choose to play David Clifford with the seniors instead of the U20s. Had he played for the U20s I'd have no doubt they would have won that All Ireland, Kerry seniors made their exit at the last eight stage a decision that was worth doing?

Right now the answer is yes - otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. For years we were asleep at the wheel and only from Glass/McGuigan's age group down have we consistently got things right at minor level and started producing players. I'll refer to my previous statement - underage is not about a win at all costs mentality!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 26, 2023, 03:34:45 PM

Right now the answer is yes - otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. For years we were asleep at the wheel and only from Glass/McGuigan's age group down have we consistently got things right at minor level and started producing players. I'll refer to my previous statement - underage is not about a win at all costs mentality!

Does not speak volumes then.  Winning mentality can also be built up at U20 level especially if All Ireland title is won.

JoG2

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 26, 2023, 04:23:13 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 26, 2023, 03:34:45 PM

Does not speak volumes then.  Winning mentality can also be built up at U20 level especially if All Ireland title is won.

What are you blethering on about? If they are deemed to be good enough to be in the senior team / squad, then their age is totally irrelevant.