General Fitness / Weight Training / Going To The Gym

Started by LC, December 08, 2022, 11:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: general on December 09, 2022, 09:48:06 AM
im currently on 1950 cals a day with 190g of protein - 3 sessions a week in the home gym. ive dropped 16lb in 8 weeks and moved alot of flab into muscle. photos before and after are vital.

I use my fitness pal to track calories - right down to g's of protein per food. its very interesting once you get into it. I signed up to an online trainer marc heaney from the derry area who uses an app - sets out weights sessions, tracking body stats, progress photos all in one. each session i do is tracked and then i compete against the weights i lifted in the next session.

i havent seen myself holding back in the last 8 weeks - as far as the trainer told me, he didnt give 2 fiddly f**ks if i ate my target cals in mars bars. its all a calorie deficiency diet. highly recommend marc if anyone wants put in contact.

my diet now consists of a good balance and mix,

eggs, turkey, chicken, pastas, anything i want i can eat. protein bars/shakes - yeah i have these but most of the daily protein can be got from the food source

in regard to lifting weights and pumping protein at 14 - imo its far too young. its still a developing child at 14.

you have lost flab and gained muscle, flab doesn't turn in to muscle.
As for your trainer not caring if you got all your calories by way of mars bars, he really should care.

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 09, 2022, 10:19:42 AM
im currently on 1950 cals a day with 190g of protein - 3 sessions a week in the home gym. ive dropped 16lb in 8 weeks and moved alot of flab into muscle. photos before and after are vital.

I use my fitness pal to track calories - right down to g's of protein per food. its very interesting once you get into it. I signed up to an online trainer marc heaney from the derry area who uses an app - sets out weights sessions, tracking body stats, progress photos all in one. each session i do is tracked and then i compete against the weights i lifted in the next session.

i havent seen myself holding back in the last 8 weeks - as far as the trainer told me, he didnt give 2 fiddly f**ks if i ate my target cals in mars bars. its all a calorie deficiency diet. highly recommend marc if anyone wants put in contact.

eggs, turkey, chicken, pastas, anything i want i can eat. protein bars/shakes - yeah i have these but most of the daily protein can be got from the food source

in regard to lifting weights and pumping protein at 14 - imo its far too young. its still a developing child at 14.

As for your trainer not caring if you got all your calories by way of mars bars, he really should care.
The 80/20 rule is probably a good guide- get 80% of your calories from whole, nutritious foods and 20% from your sweets/biscuits/crisps etc. You'll lose weight in a calorie deficit no matter what you eat, but realistically you aren't gonna be healthy if all those calories come from mars bars.

Again all about the balance because if you cut out the mars bars etc completely you're never gonna stick to the diet and end up binging

Milltown Row2

Kids are just getting bigger year on year, kids used to be scrawny the difference from my day and now is massive, doing light weights early or core body exercise should be done under 15/16 up, let them develop the skills of the game before becoming gym monkeys
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 09, 2022, 10:29:14 AM

The 80/20 rule is probably a good guide- get 80% of your calories from whole, nutritious foods and 20% from your sweets/biscuits/crisps etc. You'll lose weight in a calorie deficit no matter what you eat, but realistically you aren't gonna be healthy if all those calories come from mars bars.

Again all about the balance because if you cut out the mars bars etc completely you're never gonna stick to the diet and end up binging

just for the record im not eating mars bars all day  ;D

Wildweasel74

tonto1888

Quote from: general on December 09, 2022, 04:10:29 PM

nothing wrng with the odd one. Mat Fraser said one his biggest secrets at the crossfit games was having a snickers and a can of coke after each workout

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 10, 2022, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: general on December 09, 2022, 04:10:29 PM

nothing wrng with the odd one. Mat Fraser said one his biggest secrets at the crossfit games was having a snickers and a can of coke after each workout
Caffeine and sugar hit
Cyclists do the same on long cycles. Stop for a coke and packet of Haribo

Baile an tuaigh

If you want to look like an athlete you have to drink, eat and train like one. But if you can manage to get into good eating habits your along way there.

I was lucky enough to have lived with some of our best Gaelic players and I'd constantly take in how they lived on a daily basis.

Probably Conor Meyler was the most impressive. He was adamant about getting 8 hours sleep per day his diet was super clean and I mean zero junk food he would constantly be striving to improve himself also he added so much variety into his training. That being said he would really emphasize the importance of recovery.

You really do get out what your willing to put in.

imtommygunn

Tony Baloney

Re. Young fellas weight training - a generation ago and before would have seen many a young lad labouring sites and grafting on farms at 14-16 and nobody was saying it was too much. The young farmers that come through the school and club rugby are usually built for action before they ever handled a ball.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 10, 2022, 10:48:11 PM
Re. Young fellas weight training - a generation ago and before would have seen many a young lad labouring sites and grafting on farms at 14-16 and nobody was saying it was too much. The young farmers that come through the school and club rugby are usually built for action before they ever handled a ball.

And a work ethic on top of that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LC

As someone in my mid 40s I wish what I knew now about nutrition and fitness (which is still not a while lot) back when I was playing a bit of ball years ago in my early - mid 20s.  Setting aside the fact there was no little or know weight training but but best practice in relation to diet was non existent.  Like a lot of guys at that time living around Belfast while you were training 2 - 3 nights a week with your club during the week and a game at the weekend you were still eating and drinking shite.  Penny finally dropped for my self at the start of 2021, shifted the weight and then when I got that down went to the gym.  Still a fair bit go but the key thing is now I have changed the historic bad habits re exercise / diet / lifestyle for good habits e.g. my Monday - Friday routine is gym Mon, Tu and Fr and then a 10k run on a Wednesday and a Friday and then take it easy at the weekend.  Currently eating 3000 cals per day / 180 - 200g protein and while I am putting on weight I can still fit in to 32'' jeans.

manfromdelmonte

Lads in gym now spend more time on phones than actually training
Must haves:
Cordless headphones - airpod style
Latest runners
Spotless designer hoodie/tracksuit bottoms

I must look like a tr**p when I'm in their training

A blocklayer made the point to me recently that he'd have 18/19 year olds labouring for him. And instead of them using the natural work of the day to get strong- wheelbarrow, moving blocks, shovel work... young lads would be swanning about saving themselves for the gym after work!

Armagh18

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 11, 2022, 08:14:25 PM
Lads in gym now spend more time on phones than actually training
Must haves:
Cordless headphones - airpod style
Latest runners
Spotless designer hoodie/tracksuit bottoms

I must look like a tr**p when I'm in their training

A blocklayer made the point to me recently that he'd have 18/19 year olds labouring for him. And instead of them using the natural work of the day to get strong- wheelbarrow, moving blocks, shovel work... young lads would be swanning about saving themselves for the gym after work!
See that natural strength from working on sites or farms- 9 times out of 10 if a lad like that runs into a gym boy he'll burst him. A lot to be said for the manual work

Last Man

+1 on that but the city boys are better doing something