FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: delgany on November 28, 2022, 10:00:54 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 28, 2022, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 28, 2022, 08:15:12 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 28, 2022, 06:27:39 PM
ive always felt that the south american and north american confederations should be merged into one dont see it happening tho because it make it harder for the likes of usa and mexico to qualify for world cup even with the increase spots in 2026.

Which confederation do Suriname and Guyana play in? They are in South America but don't play in the South American qualifiers

Suriname born players have  provided Netherlands will countless players over the years . Surely they can't be that bad? No worse than  Venezuela or Bolivia I'd imagine

suriname and guyana play in concacaf the north american central and carribbean confederation think they play there because they feel more cultural Caribbean and its probably  gives them more of a chance

USA,  Canada & Mexico will host in 2026. So 3 extra teams from CONACAF will qualify , in 48 team competition !

48 teams is mental.

I heard  them talk about a 32 team Euros as well. That's even  more bonkers.

Last time I checked there were 53 teams in European qualifying. Take  out the likes of Andorra, Gibraltar,  San Marino , Liechtenstein, Faroes , Malta, Luxembourg,  etc....... that's practically every team/country in Europe at the finals!

Eire90

think they have  put   32 team  euro on hold for a while but they probably will go to that eventually.

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 28, 2022, 11:55:40 PM
Quote from: delgany on November 28, 2022, 10:00:54 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 28, 2022, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 28, 2022, 08:15:12 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 28, 2022, 06:27:39 PM
ive always felt that the south american and north american confederations should be merged into one dont see it happening tho because it make it harder for the likes of usa and mexico to qualify for world cup even with the increase spots in 2026.

Which confederation do Suriname and Guyana play in? They are in South America but don't play in the South American qualifiers

Suriname born players have  provided Netherlands will countless players over the years . Surely they can't be that bad? No worse than  Venezuela or Bolivia I'd imagine

suriname and guyana play in concacaf the north american central and carribbean confederation think they play there because they feel more cultural Caribbean and its probably  gives them more of a chance

USA,  Canada & Mexico will host in 2026. So 3 extra teams from CONACAF will qualify , in 48 team competition !

48 teams is mental.

I heard  them talk about a 32 team Euros as well. That's even  more bonkers.

Last time I checked there were 53 teams in European qualifying. Take  out the likes of Andorra, Gibraltar,  San Marino , Liechtenstein, Faroes , Malta, Luxembourg,  etc....... that's practically every team/country in Europe at the finals!
A 48 team Euros would be interesting if they broke  the dominant teams into regions. Eg no Germany but Bavaria, Baden Wurtemberg, etc. England could be replaced by 6 regions, Italy 7, whatever.

Before all the money flooded into soccer the Euros had 8 teams. The World Cup had 16.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2022, 09:02:20 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2022, 08:51:03 PM
Don't understand that point of view Main Street.

His hand prevented the Portuguese getting a shot on goal. Whether he meant it or not shouldn't come into it any more than accidentally tripping a man up in the box.
Agreed. If he doesn't touch the ball with his hand, Bruno is in, has to be a penalty but unlucky for the lad. Uruguay Ghana should be interesting!

I've seen the rule and more people then not are suggesting it shouldn't be a penalty but I'd argue that the defenders arm is clearly in an unnatural position because he made a ridiculous challenge on the edge of the box with both legs leaving the ground hence why his arm was positioned where it was. Don't understand why anyone would want to see a defender be reprieved after an appalling bit of defending and and good attacking play from Fernandes. 100% a penalty

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 29, 2022, 09:01:35 AM

His hand prevented the Portuguese getting a shot on goal. Whether he meant it or not shouldn't come into it any more than accidentally tripping a man up in the box.
Agreed. If he doesn't touch the ball with his hand, Bruno is in, has to be a penalty but unlucky for the lad. Uruguay Ghana should be interesting!

I've seen the rule and more people then not are suggesting it shouldn't be a penalty but I'd argue that the defenders arm is clearly in an unnatural position because he made a ridiculous challenge on the edge of the box with both legs leaving the ground hence why his arm was positioned where it was. Don't understand why anyone would want to see a defender be reprieved after an appalling bit of defending and and good attacking play from Fernandes. 100% a penalty

His hand is in the most natural position it could be, in that it is breaking his fall. To suggest that is unnatural is ridiculous. He's falling and the ball hits him. It was never a penalty. The standard of refereeing in general has been quite poor.

seafoid

How does FIFA's funding model work? Do more teams mean more money for them ? Is it longer tournaments or what ?

NAG1

On the penalty I think the VAR team were swayed by the fact that, had the ball not hit the defenders hand Bruno was through for a goal scoring opportunity. It should not have had any influence on the decision but something tells me that it had.
The VAR ref who called it was from Qatar.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 29, 2022, 09:22:15 AM
How does FIFA's funding model work? Do more teams mean more money for them ? Is it longer tournaments or what ?

All about promotion and building brand, will always generate more money worldwide for FIFA by encouraging more kids to play football, if you bring more teams to the World Cup then that inspires the next generation of players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 29, 2022, 09:12:46 AM

His hand is in the most natural position it could be, in that it is breaking his fall. To suggest that is unnatural is ridiculous. He's falling and the ball hits him. It was never a penalty. The standard of refereeing in general has been quite poor.
Rule needs updating. Hand was probably in a natural position if you're falling so by the letter of the law no penalty. The rule leaves too much open to interpretation though. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a penalty though, at the end of the day if he doesn't stop the ball with his hand Portugal have a great goal chance.

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2022, 09:24:26 AM

All about promotion and building brand, will always generate more money worldwide for FIFA by encouraging more kids to play football, if you bring more teams to the World Cup then that inspires the next generation of players
I'm sure they'd love to tap into the massive populations of China, India, Indonesia and Nigeria. Probably see a 64 team world cup before long!

We probably wouldn't qualify regardless though. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 09:28:14 AM

I'm sure they'd love to tap into the massive populations of China, India, Indonesia and Nigeria. Probably see a 64 team world cup before long!

While Ireland is in the European groups for qualification they won't for a good bit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 09:28:14 AM

I think China qualified in 2002

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 09:26:07 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 29, 2022, 09:12:46 AM

Rule needs updating. Hand was probably in a natural position if you're falling so by the letter of the law no penalty. The rule leaves too much open to interpretation though. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a penalty though, at the end of the day if he doesn't stop the ball with his hand Portugal have a great goal chance.

Rule does need updating to cover yesterdays penalty. Handball laws are a farce anyway, 90% of penalties given are probably not deliberate anyways; Yesterdays was a consequence of shocking defending and stopped Fernandes going clear on goal, bad defending should rightly be punished.

seafoid

The last group matches are played simultaneously, as a result of Austria v Germany in 1982.
So no match this morning

HiMucker

Quote from: NAG1 on November 29, 2022, 09:23:54 AM
On the penalty I think the VAR team were swayed by the fact that, had the ball not hit the defenders hand Bruno was through for a goal scoring opportunity. It should not have had any influence on the decision but something tells me that it had.
The VAR ref who called it was from Qatar.
The Var team just suggested to the ref that its worth a look at it again. It was the ref that made the call for the penalty after reviewing it.