FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turf

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2022, 09:02:20 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2022, 08:51:03 PM
Don't understand that point of view Main Street.

His hand prevented the Portuguese getting a shot on goal. Whether he meant it or not shouldn't come into it any more than accidentally tripping a man up in the box.
Agreed. If he doesn't touch the ball with his hand, Bruno is in, has to be a penalty but unlucky for the lad. Uruguay Ghana should be interesting!
Plenty of group still to be decided, the 3rd round of games in most groups could be great.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2022, 09:00:01 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 28, 2022, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2022, 08:51:40 PM
He put it through his legs and he stopped it with his hand.. thems the rules
What rule are you referring to?

The stop the ball with hand in the box rule
Be specific.
Is this what you are referring to? There is no 'rule' which supports your claim.

HANDLING THE BALL

For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit. Not every touch of a player's hand/arm with the ball is an offence.

It is an offence if a player: 

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
    touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player's body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on November 28, 2022, 09:05:54 PM

Be specific.
Is this what you are referring to? There is no 'rule' which supports your claim.

HANDLING THE BALL

For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit. Not every touch of a player's hand/arm with the ball is an offence.

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
    touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player's body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

Peter Walton was talking during it and said he's unlucky but it's a penalty. So he's the expert I'll take his view on it, good post though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2022, 09:12:02 PM

Be specific.

HANDLING THE BALL

Peter Walton was talking during it and said he's unlucky but it's a penalty. So he's the expert I'll take his view on it, good post though
Did Walton not say after the game that the ref was wrong? Commentators all said it wasn't a pen. Imo has to be one because if it doesn't hit his hand Portugal are through.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2022, 09:12:02 PM

Be specific.

HANDLING THE BALL

Eh no, he did not say it was a penalty, in his opinion it was not a penalty.
I asked you what 'rule' were you referring to?

thewobbler

I get what people are saying with regard to rules. But it's beyond completely f**king daft that intent should be used to evaluate handball as a foul, when intent is not a factor in any other type of foul.

The rule on handball would be so much easier to accept and interpret, if the subjective assessment centred on "did that handball gain his side an advantage that otherwise would not have existed?", rather than "did he mean that? No, of course he didn't mean it... soccer players don't use their hands... so move onto the next criteria".

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2022, 09:19:43 PM
I get what people are saying with regard to rules. But it's beyond completely f**king daft that intent should be used to evaluate handball as a foul, when intent is not a factor in any other type of foul.

The rule on handball would be so much easier to accept and interpret, if the subjective assessment centred on "did that handball gain his side an advantage that otherwise would not have existed?", rather than "did he mean that? No, of course he didn't mean it... soccer players don't use their hands... so move onto the next criteria".
Agreed. Maybe have the intent criteria when awarding a card

Milltown Row2

He said during it that was. Didn't watch afterwards. You can't stop the ball with your hand which will prevent a scoring opportunity.

You need to chill though, getting worked up isn't healthy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

I agree, tho in the competitive world of soccer you'd start to see forwards trying to gain an edge. Blasting the ball at defenders hands etc. it's just one of the things where there's no perfect solution as there's too many variables.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

thewobbler

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 28, 2022, 09:24:02 PM

I agree, tho in the competitive world of soccer you'd start to see forwards trying to gain an edge. Blasting the ball at defenders hands etc. it's just one of the things where there's no perfect solution as there's too many variables.
I honestly don't think it's complicated at all. Ball hits tucked in arm or hand, then carry on.  Ball hits outstretched arm or hand, then judge whether an advantage was gained from this action.

In my experience, anyone who's ever played ground ball gets one on the arm or hand every once in a while - and knows straight away whether their hand should or shouldn't have been in that place.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2022, 09:21:09 PM
He said during it that was. Didn't watch afterwards. You can't stop the ball with your hand which will prevent a scoring opportunity.

You need to chill though, getting worked up isn't healthy
I am quite calm. As for yourself you don't know the rules you referred to  and now the add on with the panic last ditch Walton defense ;D
Walton said clearly that iho the player's hand was in a natural position when the ball hit hand and that the penalty decision was extremely harsh.

But in MR2's world that means Walton says it was a penalty ;D

Milltown Row2

He did say it was a penalty at the time if he changed his mind then hi ho..

The ref watched it after the 7 VAR lads reviewed it, it's a penalty, so move on, the gasket might blow

Eire90

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 28, 2022, 08:15:12 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 28, 2022, 06:27:39 PM
ive always felt that the south american and north american confederations should be merged into one dont see it happening tho because it make it harder for the likes of usa and mexico to qualify for world cup even with the increase spots in 2026.

Which confederation do Suriname and Guyana play in? They are in South America but don't play in the South American qualifiers

Suriname born players have  provided Netherlands will countless players over the years . Surely they can't be that bad? No worse than  Venezuela or Bolivia I'd imagine

suriname and guyana play in concacaf the north american central and carribbean confederation think they play there because they feel more cultural Caribbean and its probably  gives them more of a chance

delgany

Quote from: Eire90 on November 28, 2022, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 28, 2022, 08:15:12 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on November 28, 2022, 06:27:39 PM
ive always felt that the south american and north american confederations should be merged into one dont see it happening tho because it make it harder for the likes of usa and mexico to qualify for world cup even with the increase spots in 2026.

Which confederation do Suriname and Guyana play in? They are in South America but don't play in the South American qualifiers

Suriname born players have  provided Netherlands will countless players over the years . Surely they can't be that bad? No worse than  Venezuela or Bolivia I'd imagine

suriname and guyana play in concacaf the north american central and carribbean confederation think they play there because they feel more cultural Caribbean and its probably  gives them more of a chance

USA,  Canada & Mexico will host in 2026. So 3 extra teams from CONACAF will qualify , in 48 team competition !

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2022, 09:33:01 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 28, 2022, 09:24:02 PM

I honestly don't think it's complicated at all. Ball hits tucked in arm or hand, then carry on.  Ball hits outstretched arm or hand, then judge whether an advantage was gained from this action.

In my experience, anyone who's ever played ground ball gets one on the arm or hand every once in a while - and knows straight away whether their hand should or shouldn't have been in that place.

this has been my stance forever. I have no idea why it can't be this simple
Hasta la victoria siempre