Author Topic: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.  (Read 307489 times)

general_lee

• View Profile
Re: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.
« Reply #3780 on: December 07, 2022, 01:51:40 PM »
Generally speaking it is younger people that are most open to a unites Ireland. Irelandís Future was meant to have someone from a culturally unionist background speaking, heís in his early 20s but got pulled because he made a few disparaging (yet completely accurate) comments on the DUP

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: December 07, 2022, 02:07:51 PM »
End of the day, in real life, people are worried about heating houses, covering insurances, groceries, children and sports/hobbies. Political strive which has been Northern Ireland all my life, justs wear you down, and you just want stability. Havent had it in 20yrs due to people elected who wouldnt interact for the good of all people, just not who they see as there own. I be amazed at some people put forward by parties on all sides, who if you run a real company, wouldn't dream of employing them. The majority are there on the backing of their party and not on what they can do. In a United Ireland I couldn't see that changing, and unlike some people on here, even if I vote for it, I can see us getting f**king toasted in a referendum and put another vote 30 years down the line, (which I not be round to see)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:58:09 PM by Wildweasel74 »

pbat

• View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: December 07, 2022, 06:43:57 PM »

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: December 07, 2022, 06:54:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1600469725607211010

56% yes for Scottish Independence

So 1% more than the proportion of NI "Catholics" who would vote for Irish unity, and sometimes we slag off the Scots.  :(
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: December 08, 2022, 11:16:58 AM »
Seems the bigger threat to unity comes from indifferent "nationalists" who would have previously have been considered a definite Yes to Unity vote.

Which is crazy when you think about it. Would rather live with the DUP still pulling the strings, a Tory government who don't give a flying f@ck and pretend to themselves that the NHS is amazing and that their pension will be taken away from them if they leave the UK. It's like they  listen to what Bryson, Sammy Wilson etc say and then believe it ffs.

This is the point I find so shocking ... who in their right mind would want to maintain the current status quo in the union.  I wonder what % of catholics have a civil service job in the north, I'd expect those to possibly have a reason to be cautious of constitutional change ... but there's obviously a lot more at play in this survey outside of civil service jobs.
To get all nationalists voting yes you need to map out exactly what is going to happen, most people are adverse to unknown changes to their lives.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: December 08, 2022, 11:24:25 AM »
People in the south favour unity, because they think that Paschal Donohoe, the IDA, the Central Bank etc will make it work. People in the North are used to dealing with SF and rightly want the detail spelt out and they have zero belief in their planning ability and of course SF are always saying how shite the ROI is.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: Today at 03:42:37 PM »
People in the south favour unity, because they think that Paschal Donohoe, the IDA, the Central Bank etc will make it work. People in the North are used to dealing with SF and rightly want the detail spelt out and they have zero belief in their planning ability and of course SF are always saying how shite the ROI is.
No that is not my position, it will take input from the Southern Government, SF are not in a position to lead on this, unless they become the next Irish government.