?

?
9 (47.4%)
?
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

JoG2

Quote from: honthecounty on April 26, 2023, 11:04:33 PM
Speaking to a young chap in work today - county board off to a stinker with the way they have organised the Neal Carlin cup. The teams in junior must wonder what's the point at times.

How so, is it different this year? Always thought the main advantage of the district cups was giving teams competitive games leading into the league.

honthecounty

Quote from: JoG2 on April 26, 2023, 11:36:11 PM
Speaking to a young chap in work today - county board off to a stinker with the way they have organised the Neal Carlin cup. The teams in junior must wonder what's the point at times.

How so, is it different this year? Always thought the main advantage of the district cups was giving teams competitive games leading into the league.

Magilligan team have only played dolans on 26th March so they have had no real advantage to them.. Moneymore conceded to them before the dolans game  and there game with Ardmore was to be rearranged to due a number of deaths in a couple of days but if Magilligan beat moneymore by 4 or more they would of topped the group and by 3 or more qualified for semi finals in 2nd. CB have told them they are out due to Ardmore not being able to accommodate a new date and time running out meaning they now have a further 3 week break to league starts before another competitive game. But a 4 team group which has taken 7/8 weeks to run and as much as it is a district cup them fellas are shown little respect.

Keyser soze

Quote from: honthecounty on April 27, 2023, 04:16:06 PM

Magilligan team have only played dolans on 26th March so they have had no real advantage to them.. Moneymore conceded to them before the dolans game  and there game with Ardmore was to be rearranged to due a number of deaths in a couple of days but if Magilligan beat moneymore by 4 or more they would of topped the group and by 3 or more qualified for semi finals in 2nd. CB have told them they are out due to Ardmore not being able to accommodate a new date and time running out meaning they now have a further 3 week break to league starts before another competitive game. But a 4 team group which has taken 7/8 weeks to run and as much as it is a district cup them fellas are shown little respect.

It is a bit difficult to follow who did what here, but it appears some clubs were conceding games and others cancelling games and not rearranging them.

How is that the Board's fault?

A cursory glance at the Derry website shows Magilligan are down to play Ardmore tonight in their final group game.........and can still qualify for semis from what I can see.

There was a 5 team group and a 4 team group, the 5 team group have all their games completed, the 4 team group, which includes Magilligan, have a game outstanding, with a round of fixtures less, probably due to clubs postponing games with no clear plan to rearrange.

Also the first games in this competition were on 12th March which was 6 weeks ago according to my Maths, I'm not sure how you could run a 5 team group stage in substantially less time than that.

Someone who thinks this is a stinker by the county board is sorely wasted posting on Gaaboard when they should be county secretary showcasing their extraordinary administrative talents.

honthecounty

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 28, 2023, 09:49:25 AM

It is a bit difficult to follow who did what here, but it appears some clubs were conceding games and others cancelling games and not rearranging them.

A cursory glance at the Derry website shows Magilligan are down to play Ardmore tonight in their final group game.........and can still qualify for semis from what I can see.

There was a 5 team group and a 4 team group, the 5 team group have all their games completed, the 4 team group, which includes Magilligan, have a game outstanding, with a round of fixtures less, probably due to clubs postponing games with no clear plan to rearrange.

Also the first games in this competition were on 12th March which was 6 weeks ago according to my Maths, I'm not sure how you could run a 5 team group stage in substantially less time than that.

Someone who thinks this is a stinker by the county board is sorely wasted posting on Gaaboard when they should be county secretary showcasing their extraordinary administrative talents.

That game is now not being played as Magilligan told they are out as fixtures had to be done last week. It appears harsh on Magilligan who would probably see this as a chance of a cup and out of now fault do there own are now out - they offered play Friday Sunday and we're told no. A 4 team group should take 3 weeks.

shawshank

Lads who the Baker on the senior panel? What club? Thought i knew all the players, but i guess not

oakleaflad

Quote from: shawshank on April 28, 2023, 11:36:45 AM
Lads who the Baker on the senior panel? What club? Thought i knew all the players, but i guess not
Steelstown

toby47

Quote from: oakleaflad on April 28, 2023, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: shawshank on April 28, 2023, 11:36:45 AM
Steelstown

He was fairly impressive in the Sigerson I thought. No idea what age he is or if he played on any recent Derry underage teams.

Keyser soze

Quote from: honthecounty on April 28, 2023, 10:17:59 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on April 28, 2023, 09:49:25 AM

That game is now not being played as Magilligan told they are out as fixtures had to be done last week. It appears harsh on Magilligan who would probably see this as a chance of a cup and out of now fault do there own are now out - they offered play Friday Sunday and we're told no. A 4 team group should take 3 weeks.

I am still failing to see how any of this the county board having a stinker?

A four team group could indeed be played off over 3 weeks.

1. If there were no other external factors needing consideration.

2. If there are no games postponed by clubs.

Although I would say a more likely scenario was that whoever from the county board was setting these fixtures probably said 'f**k it I will fire in a couple of free weeks here to make it as awkward for the clubs as possible'  and 'hopefully them hoors Magilligan will be unable to fulfil their fixtures and get shafted at the end and there'll be no Carlin cup in Benevenagh's long shadow this year again' lol

The other group with 5 in it seemed to get cleared up quicker though. I see there was a result in a game last night in that group!

WT4E

What do Derry do with Rory now

gallsman

Quote from: WT4E on May 10, 2023, 09:17:52 AM
What do Derry do with Rory now

Whatever they do, they have to address it in some fashion. Can't ignore it or fudge.

toby47

Jeez it's serious stuff, no idea what Derry do.

Although it would be a case of innocent until proven guilty?

Usually when stuff like this happens in professional sport (I don't remember anything similar in GAA) it's usually the pressure from the sponsors that dictate what happens next.

Would ye whist

WT4E

The least messiest way for Derry would be to agree with him that he would resign. However learning about his character over the years I doubt he might not be up for that.

Taylor

Quote from: WT4E on May 10, 2023, 10:27:34 AM
The least messiest way for Derry would be to agree with him that he would resign. However learning about his character over the years I doubt he might not be up for that.

The first line in your statement would be the best result for Derry football - a quick/clean break up.

Anything else and it is going to be incredibly messy from a footballing perspective

tbrick18