Lurgan

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2017, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: David McKeown on February 03, 2023, 10:46:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 03, 2023, 06:00:51 PM
Will there be a jury on this one? What's the criteria for a jury trial; is it just for the really serious stuff like this?  Juries are used left right and centre here in the states but I hear they're used less frequently in the UK.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but there are two tiers of criminal courts in NI. The Magistrates Court which initially deals with all criminal cases and the crown court which deals only with the most serious of cases. There is no jury in the magistrates court but there are juries in nearly all Crown Court cases. The Director of the PPS can issue a non jury certificate in the Crown Court under certain circumstances. These are rare though except for terrorist related offences and would only be sought in cases that were considered too legally complicated for juries or too risky to have a jury. 

Whilst all cases start in the Magistrates Court not all finish there. There are 4 categories of offences. At one end of the scale Indictable only. These are really serious offences like murder, rape, treason etc. and can only be dealt with in the Crown Court.  At the other end of the scale is summary only offences. These are the minor offences like speeding and disorderly behaviour. They can only be dealt with in the Magistrates Court. Then we have Hybrid and Indictable triable summarily(I/TS). These can be dealt with in either court. For Hybrid the decision of the PPS. For I/TS both the defendant and the crown must agree to deal with cases in the Magistrates Court otherwise it's dealt with in the Crown.

The maximum sentence in the Magistrates Court is 12 months or less for most offences with some limited exceptions. Because we have legally qualified judges in the Magistrates Court we deal with an awful lot more cases there than they do in England

That answers my question. Very informative. Thank you.

armaghniac

Two others arrested in relation to the McNally case have been released, Suspected accomplices, I suppose, whose involvement may have been unwitting. Nice to see the tribute at the Armagh-Mayo game at the weekend. 

Stephen McCullagh, 32, was remanded in custody after appearing before a district judge last Thursday charged with her murder.
Today, police said two men, aged 32 and 46, who had been arrested in the investigation have been released unconditionally.
A spokesperson said the two men are no longer considered to be suspects in the case.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

I know I'm hijacking this thread but the missing person was England who has apparently fallen into a river is a strange one too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Nanderson

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2023, 07:24:09 PM
I know I'm hijacking this thread but the missing person was England who has apparently fallen into a river is a strange one too
Heard earlier that there is only 10 minutes that they cant account for her whereabouts now.

Mourne Red

Husband has to be looked at in it - Jesus something seems very off about him, come out 3/4 times with interviews.. Maybe I've watched too many crime Docs but that's always a suspicious act when they do that

Milltown Row2

Wife is like a sleuth at the minute !! Watching every report
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2023, 07:30:53 PM
Wife is like a sleuth at the minute !! Watching every report
Aw the women love a good whodunnit
Careful now

Jeepers Creepers

Jeez anyone wondering how social media can influence a case look the Twitter feed up about this poor missing woman. Christ tha nite, Netflix has a lot to answer for !

Never beat the deeler

any chance you can reference what you're talking about?
Hasta la victoria siempre

imtommygunn

nrico2006

Find it mad that the diver is spouting so much rubbish too though. As for the husband, if he does interviews he is guilty and if he hides away he is also guilty - can't win.

Found it strange that they seemed to rule out any third party involvement immediately. Small, calm bit of water that surely any half decent swimmer would have got out from.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 08, 2023, 11:42:02 AM
Find it mad that the diver is spouting so much rubbish too though. As for the husband, if he does interviews he is guilty and if he hides away he is also guilty - can't win.

Found it strange that they seemed to rule out any third party involvement immediately. Small, calm bit of water that surely any half decent swimmer would have got out from.

I was arguing with the wife last night about him, I said he's just the police diver and he was outta sync with the woman officer who was leading the investigation..

The wife wanted to hear his thoughts rather than the actual investigator!!

Saffrongael

He's not the police diver, it's a private firm
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Armagh18

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 08, 2023, 11:42:02 AM

Haven't really been following it but apparently she was wearing heavy coat etc that would have made it very difficult to get out of the water- add to that the shock of falling in to very cold water or she may have bumped her head- entirely possible she was unable to get out. Although strange how quickly foul play was ruled out

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 08, 2023, 11:47:19 AM
He's not the police diver, it's a private firm

Even more bizarre that he is commentating like that, or being allowed, the cops, like here have been fed up with the keyboard warriors and even people going round outhouses or shed and breaking into them looking for her..