GAA crowds

Started by Truth hurts, April 08, 2024, 09:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Like Linda Ervine  teaching Irish and kids from mixed marriages  (or unionist parents)  playing for the likes of East Belfast GAA , that  will do more  for integration than what any GAA president says.

Most kids probably start  GAA between 4-7,  and won't have any  knowledge of any Republican links to the association (like myself at that age) unless it's been  drummed into them  from bigoted parents from birth.

So , if the kids enjoy the game , want to play it with their friends and make new ones , be they catholic Protestant or other , then  that's the future. Eventually the anti-GAA bigots  Will dwindle away

Truthsayer

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 18, 2024, 12:07:27 AMLike Linda Ervine  teaching Irish and kids from mixed marriages  (or unionist parents)  playing for the likes of East Belfast GAA , that  will do more  for integration than what any GAA president says.

Most kids probably start  GAA between 4-7,  and won't have any  knowledge of any Republican links to the association (like myself at that age) unless it's been  drummed into them  from bigoted parents from birth.

So , if the kids enjoy the game , want to play it with their friends and make new ones , be they catholic Protestant or other , then  that's the future. Eventually the anti-GAA bigots  Will dwindle away
As far as I know the GAA still aspires to a 32 county Republic.
Rule 1.2 of the GAA official guide states our aim as the 'strengthening the national identity in a 32-county Ireland'.
 Being a Republican does not make you a bigot... 'Catholic, Protestant and dissenter...'

AustinPowers

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 18, 2024, 01:01:05 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on April 18, 2024, 12:07:27 AMLike Linda Ervine  teaching Irish and kids from mixed marriages  (or unionist parents)  playing for the likes of East Belfast GAA , that  will do more  for integration than what any GAA president says.

Rule 1.2 of the GAA official guide states our aim as the 'strengthening the national identity in a 32-county Ireland'.
 Being a Republican does not make you a bigot... 'Catholic, Protestant and dissenter...'

My mistake : I meant kids from a unionist  background wouldn't have any knowledge of it  at that age , unless  it's come from parents

Truthsayer

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 18, 2024, 02:08:38 AM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 18, 2024, 01:01:05 AM

My mistake : I meant kids from a unionist  background wouldn't have any knowledge of it  at that age , unless  it's come from parents
Ok I see what you mean. Is some who'll never accept the GAA no matter what's done to appease them.

Captain Scarlet

€30 adult stand ticket for the Leinster semi-finals. Now in the past you could saw 2 games is decent for that price BUT in the last decade the product in Leinster is dung.

I can't understand why they don't drop the price for provincials at least. Even the rugby lads are redicing tickets for the Croke Park match...

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

armaghniac

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 18, 2024, 01:01:05 AMAs far as I know the GAA still aspires to a 32 county Republic.

The GAA tries to strengthen identity in locality, county and country. It does not prescribe a form of government, as long as that is what the Irish people want. If the Irish people wanted a monarchy then there is no reason for the GAA to have an opinion on that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Our aim should be the promotion, playing and development of gaelic games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Truthsayer

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2024, 01:55:22 PMOur aim should be the promotion, playing and development of gaelic games.
It's a 32 county organisation promoting our games and culture and a united 32 county Ireland. Stuck in this statelet up north, that is a huge aspiration.

Rossfan

Have you read the Good Friday Agreement?

Truthsayer

Rossfan

What does it say about the GAA?

By the way some other 32 Counry organisations-
Orange Order
Presbyterian Church
Church of Ireland
Catholic Church
Cómhaltas Ceóltóiri Éireann
Cricket Union
IRFU
Hockey Association
Boxing Association
Sinn Féin
Aontú

Truthsayer

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2024, 02:48:53 PMWhat does it say about the GAA?

By the way some other 32 Counry organisations-
Orange Order
Presbyterian Church
Church of Ireland
Catholic Church
Cómhaltas Ceóltóiri Éireann
Cricket Union
IRFU
Hockey Association
Boxing Association
Sinn Féin
Aontú

This is a GAA principle and has not been changed by GFA or anything else:

Rossfan

Does that mean they can't do anything in an Ireland with 2 different jurisdictions operating?

Truthsayer

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2024, 04:45:47 PMDoes that mean they can't do anything in an Ireland with 2 different jurisdictions operating?

It means a united Ireland is a central tenet of GAA aspiration and should remain that way.

Rossfan

Quote from: Truthsayer link=msg=2266831
Rule 1.2 of the GAA official guide states our aim as the 'strengthening the national identity in a 32-county Ireland'

/quote]
The sentence continues after Ireland with "by promoting and preserving Irish games and pastimes"

Not by politicking ;)