Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: JimStynes on February 11, 2022, 05:23:55 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2022, 02:41:31 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 11, 2022, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2022, 11:11:25 AM
CrossFit is a load of ballex lads.

Good in depth analysis
Have never met you fellas but I have found Crossfitters to be amongst the biggest set of assholes I've ever met. Is 8020 "Coach Neil's" place? If the answer is yes then see above.

Tbf I hate the whole cult thing about it. Some of the exercises are stupid and only work with the extremely fit professionals. But I do think a lot of it is brilliant and if people keep the weights realistic it's extremely good for fitness. I've noticed a lot of the Tyrone and armagh boys doing it now too. In my normal gym I see a lot of people with shit form and lifting heavy weight thst they shouldn't be so it's not just CrossFit that is 'dangerous'. A lot of people who hate CrossFit have never actually tried it for a while.
As for 8020, I don't know your man Neil but I've heard mixed reports about him! when I met him
he was more than nice to me. The gym though is unreal. It's extremely well kitted out!

CrossFit gets a lot of stick due to bad form. But I've competed at powerlifting events and been to strongman events. The fork there can be shocking. And as you say the worst form is in normal gyms. A good coach shouldn't let you use heavier weights until your form is good. The best thing about CF is everything is scalable. If you can't do something, say a muscle up, you can scale it to a pull up or a ring row. Gives everyone a chance to do the WOD

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 11, 2022, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2022, 05:35:58 PM

Good in depth analysis
I did CrossFit for a while, it's a con, cliquish (most gyms are tbf) the WODs were a pile of shite half the time and in general a waste of money.

Funnily enough I've been doing it for a lot longer than a while. It isn't a con, the WODs I've done have, mostly been excellent - depends on who has programmed them - and I get value for money. I see where people are coming from with the clique thing tho. It can be. I've been at CF gyms where there certainly has been a large cliquish atmosphere. But then it's the same at most gyms, GAA clubs, martial arts clubs etc
There was a group in work went and that is literally all they talked about to the extent that people avoided small talk with them as all they talked about was WODs, handstand push ups (which inevitably fucked their shoulders) paleao diets, palm blisters from lifting etc. etc. It really was energy sapping. One fella got trapped in the tea room with one of them and had to tell him everyone was f**king sick listening to them and there was a big world outside a cold shed in Portadown! That small group made people, including me, form long-lasting opinions.

PMG1

Have always tried to do gym twice a week, was never overly committed since I finished playing (wasn't  overly committed when playing either to be honest), I enjoy my food and wouldn't be interested in really changing diet too much and have a couple of sweet things every day, weight slowly went up and up until finally time to do something about it. My son is a newly qualified PT and he finally took me
Onboard after some serious price negotiations (I financed his new gym so wasn't really keen on paying him for the sessions lol). Very quickly realised I was wasting my time in what I was doing at the gym before, lifting form was not good and doing wrong exercises completely. Still only go twice a week, walk the dog every day and my diet hasn't changed, lost stone and a half in 4 months and feel as fit as I ever have despite the years creeping on. 50 min sessions mostly weights based, enjoyable and not killing myself but the change has been amazing. He is building up quite a client base despite only being at it 6 months, a fair few online clients who are all making great strides. He believes in letting his clients still have a life but just makes sure whatever they are doing is done right. 

Milltown Row2

Take out of exercise what suits you, the thing I find is it changes as you get older or circumstances change,  finding a new goal (for me anyways) is the key, currently for me the Mournes generates enough of a buzz and challenging enough.

Would love to take on a challenge for charity, that'll at least motivate me further, at 50 it's getting harder!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2022, 12:35:34 AM
Take out of exercise what suits you, the thing I find is it changes as you get older or circumstances change,  finding a new goal (for me anyways) is the key, currently for me the Mournes generates enough of a buzz and challenging enough.

Would love to take on a challenge for charity, that'll at least motivate me further, at 50 it's getting harder!

You should do that Mournes 7 peaks challenge for charity. I love the Mournes too and it's a shame I don't get up them enough, maybe 4/5 times a year ffs. When the weather is good it is an amazing place to be dandering about.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on February 12, 2022, 07:01:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2022, 12:35:34 AM

You should do that Mournes 7 peaks challenge for charity. I love the Mournes too and it's a shame I don't get up them enough, maybe 4/5 times a year ffs. When the weather is good it is an amazing place to be dandering about.

The sevens is what we are aiming for in March, unfortunately I'm trying to shake a cold otherwise I'd be doing 5 peaks this weekend
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2022, 08:55:58 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 11, 2022, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2022, 05:35:58 PM

Good in depth analysis
I did CrossFit for a while, it's a con, cliquish (most gyms are tbf) the WODs were a pile of shite half the time and in general a waste of money.

Funnily enough I've been doing it for a lot longer than a while. It isn't a con, the WODs I've done have, mostly been excellent - depends on who has programmed them - and I get value for money. I see where people are coming from with the clique thing tho. It can be. I've been at CF gyms where there certainly has been a large cliquish atmosphere. But then it's the same at most gyms, GAA clubs, martial arts clubs etc
There was a group in work went and that is literally all they talked about to the extent that people avoided small talk with them as all they talked about was WODs, handstand push ups (which inevitably fucked their shoulders) paleao diets, palm blisters from lifting etc. etc. It really was energy sapping. One fella got trapped in the tea room with one of them and had to tell him everyone was f**king sick listening to them and there was a big world outside a cold shed in Portadown! That small group made people, including me, form long-lasting opinions.

imagine getting annoyed because people talk about something the have in common and enjoy

RedHand88

It's a cult. Has its own language. Full of potentially joint damaging exercises too. Anyone who spends £60 a month to do star jumps in a warehouse has too much money.

As for the "paleo diet", I'm not following the diet of a group of people who had a life expectancy of 35.

JimStynes

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 13, 2022, 09:09:51 AM
It's a cult. Has its own language. Full of potentially joint damaging exercises too. Anyone who spends £60 a month to do star jumps in a warehouse has too much money.

As for the "paleo diet", I'm not following the diet of a group of people who had a life expectancy of 35.

What's the paleo diet thing?

RedHand88

Quote from: JimStynes on February 13, 2022, 09:38:24 AM

Theres a fad out there that we should be eating what cave men ate.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 13, 2022, 09:50:51 AM

Fad Diets are not sustainable and those intense ones should only be over a period of time, moderation is the key, smaller portions or plates cut out the sugars and salts for that matter as there are plenty of them in your food.

In saying that I'd a lovely Indian last night after a few Guinness  ;D

quit yo jibbajabba

Indian.
Guinness.
This could go one of two ways

Milltown Row2

JimStynes

I thought the paleo fad went out of business about 10-15 years ago.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on February 13, 2022, 10:21:38 AM

I thought the paleo fad went out of business about 10-15 years ago.
There is always a new one. IF has been the one of choice over the past couple of years. A mate does it and says it works for him and is no bother when you get used to it.