The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2023, 10:56:51 PM
So gym session then the intense warm up session before the game? Are Armagh and Tyrone doing this at the minute?  ;)

Armagh rest the day before a game. Have a pitch based skills session the day before the game this week purely to get the legs going after the long journey.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

jcpen

Down about 6kg since I started back into it. Combination of diet and running really but have been going to the gym to do a bit of lifting also but to get more toned rather than build mass.
Feeling much better mentally and physically.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

Smurfy123

Started a gym programme in January. Have seen good improvement in my body but massive improvements in my mentality. Happier and more alert whereas before some days were a struggle
Have really tidied up my diet and been consistent in the gym
I do still have a good bit of chocolate and the odd takeaway at the weekends but such a different state of mind
I really had let myself go

samuel maguire

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 09, 2023, 08:22:39 AM
Started a gym programme in January. Have seen good improvement in my body but massive improvements in my mentality. Happier and more alert whereas before some days were a struggle
Have really tidied up my diet and been consistent in the gym
I do still have a good bit of chocolate and the odd takeaway at the weekends but such a different state of mind
I really had let myself go

Its crazy how much better you feel mentally when you are training/in decent physical shape. I defiantly appreciate the odd bag of sweets or bar of chocolate a lot more now. I look forward to the a takeaway on a Friday or Saturday night now and don't feel guilty or disgusting after eating it because I know I've earned it. 

Has anyone any experience with a bulk? Got back into the gym and am thinking about going for one but not to fond of the idea of putting on fat having only recently lost it

yellowcard

Quote from: 03,05,08 on March 09, 2023, 11:57:31 AM
Has anyone any experience with a bulk? Got back into the gym and am thinking about going for one but not to fond of the idea of putting on fat having only recently lost it

You're thinking of going to the gym to put on fat?

Armagh18

if you're looking to seriously put on muscle, you need to be in a slight calorie surplus to build it properly- this will obviously mean gaining a bit of fat unfortunately. If you really commit to the bulk and keep getting stronger in yhe gym you'll build plenty of muscle- but you meed to accept that you mightn't look great- will be really worth it though when you cut and reveal all the muscle you've built up. All depends on your goals though.

thebigfella

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 09, 2023, 12:25:25 PM
if you're looking to seriously put on muscle, you need to be in a slight calorie surplus to build it properly- this will obviously mean gaining a bit of fat unfortunately. If you really commit to the bulk and keep getting stronger in yhe gym you'll build plenty of muscle- but you meed to accept that you mightn't look great- will be really worth it though when you cut and reveal all the muscle you've built up. All depends on your goals though.

You just have to eat healthy foods and find the right calorie surplus so that you're building muscle without storing excess fat. The diet is key and more than on a calorie deficit phase, as the cleaner the diet the less impact on fat storage and easier it is too lean back down.

To be honest unless your body fat is sub 15%, and trying to prevent the loss of definition, I wouldn't worry too much about putting on fat as it will be hardly noticeable if you control your diet.

LC

Can relate to the highlighted part above, lost a good bit of weight and hence the whole idea of putting weight back on was a headwrecker.

Went with a clean bulk of about 500 calories above maintenance with the aim of putting on 0.5kg / 1lb per week, started in October and by mid February I had put on a stone and a half.  Must have been doing something right as the waist size in terms of trousers did not change but had to start wearing bigger size shirts.  On a bit of a mini cut at the moment eating approx 500 below maintenance, doing ok so far and will see how things are at the end of week 8.

Wildweasel74

By maint, you mean the, 2500cal level?

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 09, 2023, 06:37:35 PM
everyones is different. Depends on age, activity level, weight etc etc.

LC

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 09, 2023, 06:37:35 PM

Between running and gym work my daily maintenance is approx 2900 so currently cutting at 2400.

An Watcher

Been doing weights at the gym now for 6 months.  Really struggle with the eating side of things though.  Was so used to playing football that this all seems totally alien now but slowly getting there. 

Armagh18

Quote from: An Watcher on March 09, 2023, 10:42:15 PM
Been doing weights at the gym now for 6 months.  Really struggle with the eating side of things though.  Was so used to playing football that this all seems totally alien now but slowly getting there.
I love the weights, great to see the progress through the months and notice yourself stronger. Important to be getting some form of cardio in as well even if it's only a good walk and try to hit as many steps as possible throughout the day, especially if working at a desk a lot.

An Watcher

Yeah, still play a bit if 5 aside n then try to squeeze in a spin session as well.  I'm grand with that but the weights exhaust me as they're all new to me