Russia invades Ukraine Feb 2022

Started by Main Street, February 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: thebigfella on April 03, 2024, 10:18:27 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 03, 2024, 09:39:10 AMSome people with short memories, was there not a Russian sub at their geopolitical games of the coast of Cork last year?

Regardless of all the other points, the Russian State was not responsible for the HSE ransomware attack despite where it is believed to have originated from based upon the evidence.

Stating otherwise is false and Ireland has a greater threat from cyber crime gangs than rogue nations hacking us for geopolitical reasons. We are just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

The Conti and Trickbot groups are the acknowledged gangs who hacked into HSE.
From a Wired article
Last month UK and USA intell service outed and sanctioned 7 named persons and  "the UK and US are now explicitly calling out links between Conti and Trickbot and Russia's intelligence services"

Those hacking gangs have overtly  pledged allegiance to the Russian state at/since the time of full scale invasion of Ukraine.

"Highly Likely"  is good enough for me to claim that there are well developed links between the cyber criminals and Russian intelligence. Inflicting such mayhem around Europe or supporting in some form or another from a distance is part and parcel of the Kremlin modus operandi.

thebigfella

Quote from: Main Street on April 03, 2024, 12:09:42 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 03, 2024, 09:39:10 AMSome people with short memories, was there not a Russian sub at their geopolitical games of the coast of Cork last year?

Regardless of all the other points, the Russian State was not responsible for the HSE ransomware attack despite where it is believed to have originated from based upon the evidence.

Stating otherwise is false and Ireland has a greater threat from cyber crime gangs than rogue nations hacking us for geopolitical reasons. We are just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

From a Wired article
Last month UK and USA intell service outed and sanctioned 7 named persons and  "the UK and US are now explicitly calling out links between Conti and Trickbot and Russia's intelligence services"

Those hacking gangs have overtly  pledged allegiance to the Russian state at/since the time of full scale invasion of Ukraine.

"Highly Likely"  is good enough for me to claim that there are well developed links between the cyber criminals and Russian intelligence. Inflicting such mayhem around Europe or supporting in some form or another from a distance is part and parcel of the Kremlin modus operandi.

I never disputed that the Russia uses these cyber gangs for their own means?

In fact I clearly stated cyber gangs are tolerated and some are even hired on behalf of the state. We know there are links between these groups and nation states (and have been proven to be the case in certain attacks).

This is not the movies and these are not a few lads in bedrooms. These are large criminal enterprises with lots of resources and very sophisticated supply chains. It's a very lucrative business and what is reported is only the tip of the iceberg.

Still regardless of these links between the criminals and Russian intelligence, there is no creditable evidence that the HSE attack was a Russian state sanctioned attack. It followed a similar pattern to previous Ransomware attacks by this group and stating that neutral Ireland is under attack from Russia is just hyperbole.

The simple fact is Ireland (and many countries) are constantly at risk of attacks from cyber criminals, and the likelihood of those attacks are much greater than a nation state attack.

Main Street

Quote from: thebigfella on April 03, 2024, 01:06:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 03, 2024, 12:09:42 PM

From a Wired article

I never disputed that the Russia uses these cyber gangs for their own means?

In fact I clearly stated cyber gangs are tolerated and some are even hired on behalf of the state. We know there are links between these groups and nation states (and have been proven to be the case in certain attacks).

This is not the movies and these are not a few lads in bedrooms. These are large criminal enterprises with lots of resources and very sophisticated supply chains. It's a very lucrative business and what is reported is only the tip of the iceberg.

Still regardless of these links between the criminals and Russian intelligence, there is no creditable evidence that the HSE attack was a Russian state sanctioned attack. It followed a similar pattern to previous Ransomware attacks by this group and stating that neutral Ireland is under attack from Russia is just hyperbole.

The simple fact is Ireland (and many countries) are constantly at risk of attacks from cyber criminals, and the likelihood of those attacks are much greater than a nation state attack.
Who claimed you did dispute that Russia uses these cyber gangs for their own purposes?
In my and most others opinion, being complicit with the Russian based cyber gangs to reap havoc in Europe carries the same weight of guilt as the doer of the dastardly deeds.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Main Street on April 04, 2024, 12:11:13 AMWho claimed you did dispute that Russia uses these cyber gangs for their own purposes?
In my and most others opinion, being complicit with the Russian based cyber gangs to reap havoc in Europe carries the same weight of guilt as the doer of the dastardly deeds.

So if you hire a builder to put up an extension, your responsible for what the same builder does for the fella down the road?
i usse an speelchekor