Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán, Omagh, Saturday 4th March @19:00 (water permitting)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 28, 2017, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

So that's why it's called the dark arts.
I think we went a bit too far though with leaving the water sprinklers on all night for the Cavan game last Sunday.

How long was Mark Bradley suspended for?

Taylor

Would like to see Big Sean start on Saturday night.

As I said previously want to lay a marker down for later in the year

Dire Ear

Fuzzman

I'm expecting the same team as he named for Cavan.
You could see this being another tough dirty game with both teams wanting to make big statements for the year ahead. The ref will have his hands full I reckon.

Looks like the forecast is rain all week up in Omagh. Has the pitch had a chance to dry out?

Main Street

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 02, 2017, 02:25:55 PM
I'm expecting the same team as he named for Cavan.
You could see this being another tough dirty game with both teams wanting to make big statements for the year ahead. The ref will have his hands full I reckon.

Looks like the forecast is rain all week up in Omagh. Has the pitch had a chance to dry out?
Monaghan make statements by playing good football. Tyrone may choose to resort to type, I hope not, for the sake of football, however I expect Monaghan to play a manly game (not back down) complete with exciting running football, mighty pitch wide accurate foot passes and dashing imaginative forward play.

Fuzzman

As long as there's no hair ruffling.

Yeah Tyrone are always the villains against yer lot. Ye never have any such nonsense againt Donegal or Cavan.

Were you down in Kerry last weekend Main St?
It looked like yis were well up for the physical side of things against them judging by the highlights I saw.
It's tough to hold Geaney and O'Donoghue scoreless from play down in their own back yard.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Dire Ear on March 02, 2017, 01:36:39 PM
How was Sean v Dublin, apart from the penalty ? Can't rememember

I thought he did quite well, moved in and out from MF to FF and caused some problems in the square and never wasted a ball out the field either.

Main Street

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 02, 2017, 03:18:50 PM

Were you down in Kerry last weekend Main St?
It looked like yis were well up for the physical side of things against them judging by the highlights I saw.
It's tough to hold Geaney and O'Donoghue scoreless from play down in their own back yard.
I only saw that game live on tv. Kerry were missing their Dr Croke players and their team were in a strange state considering they had performed well in Donegal and half well against Mayo. Maybe they were too confident and took Monaghan for granted.
Kerry forwards this time did not get much service as that was cut out at the pass by Monaghan defending higher and pushing Kerry backwards, their full forward line were mostly around midfield and in their own half trying to put out fires. Monaghan's workrate was vastly superior. There is little doubt that Monaghan had a definite plan to beat Kerry and totally believed in it,  they could bully Kerry, beat Kerry and do it playing better football, even fielding the ball better at midfield.
As you know it's difficult to play at that intense level with consistency week in week out. With this game on Saturday, advantage has to be with with the team (who in theory have) rested,  though Tyrone players would probably have preferred to play that postponed game they had prepared for.
Going by other league games in the past I don't expect much in the way of championship shenanigans

Fuzzman

Omagh Gael, Sean never wasted a ball out the field? He was the one that ran into two tackles and lost the ball that lead to the 2nd last free. I'd much prefer he didn't come back so far to defend as he would be much better used as an outlet further up the pitch.

McNamee article on the GAA.IE website

By John Harrington

Ronan McNamee knows it mightn't be the most popular opinion in either Tyrone or Monaghan, but he regards both county teams as being more similar than different.

The Tyrone full-back is a key cog in a Red Hand side with a voracious work-ethic, which also happens to be Monaghan's defining feature.

Both sides have bags of character, take no prisoners in defence, and employ a very slick counter-attacking strategy.

Something will have to give when they meet in Saturday night's Allianz League clash, and McNamee is predicting a real 'gung-ho contest'.

"I wouldn't think we'd be a million miles off each other," he says. "All Ulster teams sort of tend to play a certain style of football, but Monaghan and Tyrone do sort of mirror each other to a certain degree, definitely.

"I'm sure either county wouldn't agree with that, but we're no a million miles off each other, definitely not.

"The last time we played Monaghan in the League the lights went out in Healy Park and they absolutely hammered us. We haven't played them since the All-Ireland Quarter-Final but both teams know each other really, really well.

"It'll be a an all-out, gung-ho contest on Saturday night with both teams going for it. They're coming off a really, really good result so they'll be confident.

"We'll definitely have to get up to the pace of the game very quickly."

For some teams, defending can seem like a chore and they're much more comfortable with the ball than without it.

Tyrone and Monaghan have made a science of it, and almost seem to take a dark satisfaction from making the opposition's life miserable with a tightly-packed defense and rabid tacklers who have mastered the art of the turn-over.

Ronan McNamee was a rock at full-back in Tyrone's Allianz League draw with Dublin.
Ronan McNamee was a rock at full-back in Tyrone's Allianz League draw with Dublin.
McNamee himself has developed into one of the best defenders in the country. Full-back can be a thankless position at times, but he's grown to love the challenge of it.

"Definitely, it's one of the most thankless jobs. But, ach, I enjoy playing it, definitely. Any time you get to pull on the jersey, no matter what number it is, especially if it's a starting 15, then that's a good day.

"I'm happy, definitely. You grow up wanting to be in a position like this and not a lot of people get to be in it. It would be a dream for a lot of young people and it was a dream of mine and i'm living it now so it's a great feeling, it definitely is."

One of Tyrone's best players in their last League game against Dublin, McNamee is the Head Bouncer in a defense that treats opposition forwards like underage drinkers.

As a unit they've matured thanks to sustained game-time together, and time and again the Dublin attack was repelled by the red and white wall.

"We got a good few dispossessions against Dublin, but you know what football is like, sometimes you'll get them and sometimes you'll not.

"We've played with each other for a long time now. A lot of us have played together from underage right up through so we know each other inside out."

McNamee admits the postponement of last Sundays's clash against Cavan because of the weather was 'hugely frustrating', but Saturday's game against Monaghan can be the perfect pick me up.

Win it, and Tyrone will be unbeaten after three matches and very much on course for a League Final place. Lose it, and they could find themselves in the bottom half of the table. The stakes are high.

"Definitely, it will either keep you in the chase for the top of the table or else it will pull you into a dog-fight that you definitely do not want to be a part of because it definitely will be a dog-fight for the bottom three or four teams," says McNamee.

"It's so tight. No-body is running away with anything. Everyone has been beaten or else have drawn. Teams are dropping points left, right, and centre."

Main Street

Jack McCarron's dad was a legendary Tyroneskelper in his day.

A Munster perspective, Tony Leen
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/at-last-a-touch-of-good-fortune-for-mccarron-444020.html
At last, a touch of good fortune for McCarron

So copious were the plusses from Monaghan's winning visit to Kerry on Sunday that an upside to Conor McManus's limited impact might be overlooked.
The talisman registered two important late points but he was well shackled for the first hour by Kerry's Shane Enright. Which presented the platform for Currin's Jack McCarron to reintroduce himself as a scoring foil for the Farney men. And a welcome one at that.

The son of 1985 All-Star Ray, McCarrron has had a nightmare run of back luck and operations (when he was six, he broke his femur training with the club's Under 10s), from shoulder surgery in 2012, to a cruciate operation two years ago, and hamstring issues last season. Throw in an ankle procedure late in 2016, and O'Rourke's delight at his performance in Killarney is understandable.

"It's something we are trying to improve all the time," accepted Monaghan boss Malachy O'Rourke. "It has been levelled against us we are relying too much on Conor and I suppose the limelight does fall on him. (So) I'm delighted for Jack who has struggled with injuries. The last couple of years he's worked really hard on his own and we got him back in on Sunday and he showed his quality with the goal.

"It's just trying to take some of the emphasis off Conor. If teams feel 'well if we take care of him they are not going to scores from elsewhere' so it means defences have to think about other players as well it makes things easier for everyone."

Watching from the dugout, the injured Dessie Mone was equally pleased with the load-sharing up front. "It was great to see Jack McCarron back because we have been probably missing another forward like him. It was great to see him getting scores, and getting that bit of confidence back."

Confidence is an asset O'Rourke's men should bring to Omagh next Saturday night for their third tough away trip out of four League games.

"We knew when we looked at the schedule we hard three really difficult away games out of the first four," the manager explained.

"And you know if you don't get a good performance, if you're not at the pitch of your game for trips to Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone, then you're not going to win.

"In Killarney our defence was again operating well but we are wise to the fact a Kerry forward line in the summer time is very different to their attack in wintery conditions like Sunday. The conditions suited defenders, with balls slipping, but it does give you confidence." There's that word again.

"There are a few young lads coming through which is great to see with the success of the U21s in Ulster," Dessie Mone added. "There is also a lot of hard work being done with the development squads, from U14s up to minor but it is a learning curve for them, like James Mealiff, who got a start in Killarney. It was great for him to play against a top class team like Kerry, it's a great learning experience."

Mone is still out with a broken wrist and expects to be back in business in six to eight weeks.

Main Street

Not much pre-game action here from the Tyrone horde, usually they would be baying like a bunch of hyenas, chest bumping each other.
Fear stalks the hillbillies?

Il Bomber Destro

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tyrone team v Monaghan Allianz Football League 4th March

Ionad: Páirc Uí hÉilí, an Omaigh (is docha ;) )

1 – Mickey O'Neill – Cluain Eo
2 – Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a'Ghuail
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
5 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair
6 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
7 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9 – Declan McClure – Cluain Eo
10 – Conor Meyler – An Omaigh
11 – Niall Sludden – An Droim Mhór
12 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
13 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc
14 – Cathal McShane – E. R. Uí Néill
15 – Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh

16 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
17 – Rory Brennan – Trí Leac
18 – Frank Burns – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
19 – Sean Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
20 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
21 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chlochair
22 – Hugh Pat McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
23 – Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
24 – Ronan McHugh –  Achadh Uí Aráin
25 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn
26 – Jonathan Monroe – An Charraig Mhór
27 – Cahir McCullagh – An Caisleán Glas
28 – Michael Cassidy – Ard Bó
29 – Harry Loughran – An Mhaigh
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Taylor

Disappointed now Sean isn't starting.
Despite what main st & his cohorts say Monaghan have lifted the skullduggery this year so far and we have to at least match it.
IF the game goes ahead it will be one with very few scores and plenty of stoppages