Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: guevara on June 09, 2016, 06:37:27 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on June 09, 2016, 03:20:11 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 09, 2016, 03:08:08 PM
Why not just name the rest of the Warrenpoint FC panel sure. ::)
Not professing to be a follower of the óle soccer but I don't think Davison every played for
Warrenpoint FC

Robbie White has never played for Warrenpoint Town as far as I am aware, neither has Alan Davidson so your point is? I named them players based on games I have watched in the League last year/this year.

Kevin Anderson is Annaclone's best player & has destroyed teams in Down by himself. A big strong athlete who was never given a chance under previous Managers.
Robbie White is the current Division 1 Footballer of the Year if I am not mistaken? Liam Bagnall and John Boyle are better footballers than current players on that Down Team.
Shaun Parr should have been brought onto the County Team (never mind panel) five or six years ago.
Alan Davidson is consistently scoring big numbers for Bredagh yet has been overlooked because he plays for a unfashionable Club at the wrong end of the County.

But hey feel free to point out why you do not think the above are not good enough to be on the current Down Team?
Kevin Anderson has not destroyed teams in Down by himself(maybe tell us which teams he did this to?) and he is certainly big but not athletic.

Hedgehunter

Quote from: SamFever on June 09, 2016, 11:49:04 PM
Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 09, 2016, 06:27:19 PM
I also think the following are more than capable of representing Down..

Michael Ireland - Longstone
Ronan Millar - Glenn
Shay Millar - Glenn
Philip Bonny - The Ford
2 Brannigans - Kilcoo
Shane McNamee - The Bridge..

Not to mention players with previous experience

Niall McParland
Niall Madine
Conor Garvey
Marty Clarke
Big Dan
Laverty..
It wasn't too long ago the Glenn posters were declaring all out allegiance to their Club and there would be no County action for any of their Club men so you may take the Millars and McParland off your list.

Yes... But again reasoning behind omissions that we won't get into... But this isn't about who is or hasn't committed,it's about players that aren't playing for the county for one reason or another and most stemming from board and management problems..

SamFever

Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 09, 2016, 11:57:27 PM

Ronan Millar - Glenn
Shay Millar - Glenn
Philip Bonny - The Ford
2 Brannigans - Kilcoo

Niall McParland
Niall Madine
Conor Garvey
Marty Clarke
Big Dan
Laverty..
It wasn't too long ago the Glenn posters were declaring all out allegiance to their Club and there would be no County action for any of their Club men so you may take the Millars and McParland off your list.

Yes... But again reasoning behind omissions that we won't get into... But this isn't about who is or hasn't committed,it's about players that aren't playing for the county for one reason or another and most stemming from board and management problems..
?
So you admit your Club is keeping potential panelists from being involved?

Hedgehunter

Quote from: SamFever on June 10, 2016, 12:04:56 AM
Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 09, 2016, 11:57:27 PM

Ronan Millar - Glenn
Shay Millar - Glenn
Philip Bonny - The Ford
2 Brannigans - Kilcoo

Niall McParland
Niall Madine
Conor Garvey
Marty Clarke
Big Dan
Laverty..

?
So you admit your Club is keeping potential panelists from being involved?

Where did I say that? You'll have to ask the individual players for their reasons,like all players who have omitted themselves.. Also how can a club stop players playing county? I'm sure it's up to each individual player..

charlieTully

watched darragh cross last night, the number 9 for them dominated midfield, big strong athletic guy, caught everything. hardy I think his name is. I know its one performance but he stood out, anyone seen much of him?

SamFever

Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 02, 2014, 09:08:10 PM
What Glenn have going for them is Youth. The average age if the team is 22, if they can stay together and in Div 1 for a year or 2 they are quite capable of cementing a place in Div for the foreseeable future. Also I would think it's only a matter if time before a couple of lads could get a call from the county setup. Liam Bagnall is the best player I've seen so far in Div 1 this year and without doubt scored the goal of the season on Friday night against Loughinisland. But being selfish I would prefare if they avoided a possible county call as it could be detrimental to us.
Your thinking from just over two years ago.As you said yourself then,SELFISH.

Hedgehunter

Quote from: SamFever on June 10, 2016, 08:40:50 AM
What Glenn have going for them is Youth. The average age if the team is 22, if they can stay together and in Div 1 for a year or 2 they are quite capable of cementing a place in Div for the foreseeable future. Also I would think it's only a matter if time before a couple of lads could get a call from the county setup. Liam Bagnall is the best player I've seen so far in Div 1 this year and without doubt scored the goal of the season on Friday night against Loughinisland. But being selfish I would prefare if they avoided a possible county call as it could be detrimental to us.

What the hell is this a crusade? I'm sure you will also notice that you are confusing two things here  "I" being one and "the club" being another.

guevara

Quote from: SamFever on June 09, 2016, 11:52:02 PM
Not professing to be a follower of the óle soccer but I don't think Davison every played for
Warrenpoint FC

Robbie White has never played for Warrenpoint Town as far as I am aware, neither has Alan Davidson so your point is? I named them players based on games I have watched in the League last year/this year.

Kevin Anderson is Annaclone's best player & has destroyed teams in Down by himself. A big strong athlete who was never given a chance under previous Managers.
Robbie White is the current Division 1 Footballer of the Year if I am not mistaken? Liam Bagnall and John Boyle are better footballers than current players on that Down Team.
Shaun Parr should have been brought onto the County Team (never mind panel) five or six years ago.
Alan Davidson is consistently scoring big numbers for Bredagh yet has been overlooked because he plays for a unfashionable Club at the wrong end of the County.

But hey feel free to point out why you do not think the above are not good enough to be on the current Down Team?
Kevin Anderson has not destroyed teams in Down by himself(maybe tell us which teams he did this to?) and he is certainly big but not athletic.

Ask any anyone from Rostrevor on this forum of the capabilities of Kevin Anderson. He single handedly beat Rostrevor by himself. Ask anyone involved with a Team in Div 1 or 2 in Down and they will tell you he is Annaclone's best player yet he is constantly overlooked when it comes to the County set up in favour of players like Gary & Benny McArdle.

My point is Managers/Selectors seem to stumble from Season to Season selecting the same panel of players as the year previous and don't get me started on the "Trials" fiasco each year.

The rumour that our County Secretary is now trying to block Alan Davidson playing for Antrim is laughable. You are not good enough to be selected or noticed by us but hey we will block you playing for anyone else incase it comes back to embarrass our ineptitude at a later date! What exact function do our "Selectors" fulfil?
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

SamFever

Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 10, 2016, 08:58:41 AM

What the hell is this a crusade? I'm sure you will also notice that you are confusing two things here  "I" being one and "the club" being another.
Not a crusade,we all would like everyone available to play for both Club and County

DownFanatic

Quote from: thewobbler on June 05, 2016, 07:17:34 PM
It's time for some introspection from the decision-makers in our county. Circumstances may have contrived against them here and there, but bar the 2010 "blip", we've been on a decline for 20 years. It's one thing loving your county, it's another thing entirely to not give it a chance in a life.

it's also high time our clubs stopped pretending to be bystanders in this mess. This convention we need leadership to arise from our clubs. Thereafter we need action.

So f**king sick of the shit that Down football has become.

Just reading back through here and I think it is quite unfair to label our run to the 2010 All Ireland final as a 'blip' and descriptions to that effect.
We had two very good minor teams in 2004 and 2005. With the latter winning the All Ireland. A team that got to the All Ireland U-21 final in 2005 too. We won Ulster U-21 titles in 2008 and 2009 with that 09 team getting to the All Ireland final.
We did have pedigree going in to 2010 added to this the fact that some of our 1999 All Ireland minor winners were essentially in their prime.
Looking back at the QUB, St Mary's and UUJ Sigerson teams of that era, we had an inordinate amount of starters on those teams.
Bring in to the equation the fact that we had a brilliant management team led by Wee James along with Tally, McIver and Jerome and I think our progress that year can be put more down to design than pure chance.
With the advent of the Mourne Academy we are now starting to move in the right direction. It is probably something that should have been started 5/6 years ago but at least we are beginning to make inroads in that regard.
However, the main problem still exists that a heap of the best players in our county are not playing for Down.
In the short term that is going to prevent us from making any sort of progress in Ulster or the All Ireland series.
If these players cannot be brought back into the fold then regardless of who the manager is we are not going to scale any major heights anytime soon as we simply don't have the quality coming through on the conveyor belt as witnessed by our recent woes at minor and U-21 level.

TheClutch

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 10, 2016, 10:03:53 AM
It's time for some introspection from the decision-makers in our county. Circumstances may have contrived against them here and there, but bar the 2010 "blip", we've been on a decline for 20 years. It's one thing loving your county, it's another thing entirely to not give it a chance in a life.

it's also high time our clubs stopped pretending to be bystanders in this mess. This convention we need leadership to arise from our clubs. Thereafter we need action.

Just reading back through here and I think it is quite unfair to label our run to the 2010 All Ireland final as a 'blip' and descriptions to that effect.
We had two very good minor teams in 2004 and 2005. With the latter winning the All Ireland. We won Ulster U-21 titles in 2008 and 2009 with that 09 team getting to the All Ireland final.
We did have pedigree going in to 2010 added to this the fact that some of our 1999 All Ireland minor winners were essentially in their prime.
Looking back at the QUB, St Mary's and UUJ Sigerson teams of that era, we had an inordinate amount of starters on those teams.
Bring in to the equation the fact that we had a brilliant management team led by Wee James along with Tally, McIver and Jerome and I think our progress that year can be put more down to design than pure chance.
With the advent of the Mourne Academy we are now starting to move in the right direction. It is probably something that should have been started 5/6 years ago but at least we are beginning to make inroads in that regard.
However, the main problem still exists that a heap of the best players in our county are not playing for Down.
In the short term that is going to prevent us from making any sort of progress in Ulster or the All Ireland series.
If these players cannot be brought back into the fold then regardless of who the manager is we are not going to scale any major heights anytime soon as we simply don't have the quality coming through on the conveyor belt as witnessed by our recent woes at minor and U-21 level.

Did our U21s not make an All Ireland final in 2005 as well after winning Ulster the same year?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

DownFanatic

Quote from: TheClutch on June 10, 2016, 10:12:40 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on June 10, 2016, 10:03:53 AM

We had two very good minor teams in 2004 and 2005. With the latter winning the All Ireland. We won Ulster U-21 titles in 2008 and 2009 with that 09 team getting to the All Ireland final.

Did our U21s not make an All Ireland final in 2005 as well after winning Ulster the same year?

Yes

Smurfy123

Selectors?
They are meant to go the length on breadth of this county selecting players to represent this county
They should also try attend as many national league games where possible if Down are not playing in conjunction
Can we safely say ours is doing that?

Hedgehunter

Quote from: SamFever on June 10, 2016, 09:19:35 AM
Quote from: Hedgehunter on June 10, 2016, 08:58:41 AM

Not a crusade,we all would like everyone available to play for both Club and County

Exactly... If Down football was run as it should then maybe this problem would be limited as opposed to being widespread.. However it does seem that it's a problem faced across the country rather than down..

Down Follower

Warrenpoint FC

Kevin Anderson is Annaclone's best player & has destroyed teams in Down by himself. A big strong athlete who was never given a chance under previous Managers - He has of course had chances before. He is though as you say a big strong athlete who maybe if managed differently could do something.
Robbie White is the current Division 1 Footballer of the Year if I am not mistaken? - Agreed, should be given a go.
Liam Bagnall (Glenn players wont play - end off) and John Boyle (he has put soccer first now for the past few years) are better footballers than current players on that Down Team.
Shaun Parr should have been brought onto the County Team (never mind panel) five or six years ago - consistently asked onto panel and wont join so its his choice.
Alan Davidson is consistently scoring big numbers for Bredagh yet has been overlooked because he plays for a unfashionable Club at the wrong end of the County. - thats totally untrue. He has been watched by county management and if you had seen him playing you would know that he isnt county material, although after Downs game at the weekend that level has dropped. He looks like a player who has only started playing Gaelic, which he has, and at his age, he would do well to bring his basic skills up to level required.