Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2015, 01:52:35 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 17, 2015, 04:38:35 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 16, 2015, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 13, 2015, 02:58:48 PM
Quote from: stew on November 13, 2015, 02:41:16 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2015, 08:53:54 PM
BTW foxcommander, are you really  bothered by the fact that white people can't use the N-word, but black people have reclaimed it?

It irks me to be honest, it is a repugnant word that should be eradicated to history, it is hypocritical for a black man to call another black man the N word.

Richard Prior figured that out late in life, I would say Bill Cosby as well but you know! :P

It's still only a word though even if it's offensive to some. It's amazing how hysterical some can get - the paula deen witchunt was evidence.

There can't be double standards if you bang on about a fair society. Key and Peele use it in their routines - hilarious. Michael Richards uses it in a standup routine - career over.

I don't see why there should be restrictions on anyone using a word.

Unless the word is "Voldemort". Or "Candyman" 3 times in a row.

Apart from the fact that Key and Peele are black, and Michael Richards and Paula Dean are white. You are full of shit if you say  can't see the difference in the context of when and how they said it and baggage that the race of the person  using the word brings.

If you think, as Stew says, that blacks probably  should just let the word die, fine, that is a separate argument, albeit something that is not up to you, assuming you are a white person.

But this idea that black and white use of the word is equivalent is just idiotic and is a childish naked play for false victimhood. "They're using the word, so why can't I?" :'(

It's called equality - or is that not what you want?

I don't mind being called a fenian or taig by my friends. If Jamie Bryson or Willie Frazer called me one, I'd feel an awful lot different.

Why would a friend of yours call you a fenian or a taig in the first place?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

gallsman

Quote from: foxcommander on November 17, 2015, 02:00:54 PM
BTW foxcommander, are you really  bothered by the fact that white people can't use the N-word, but black people have reclaimed it?

It irks me to be honest, it is a repugnant word that should be eradicated to history, it is hypocritical for a black man to call another black man the N word.

Richard Prior figured that out late in life, I would say Bill Cosby as well but you know! :P

It's still only a word though even if it's offensive to some. It's amazing how hysterical some can get - the paula deen witchunt was evidence.

There can't be double standards if you bang on about a fair society. Key and Peele use it in their routines - hilarious. Michael Richards uses it in a standup routine - career over.

Apart from the fact that Key and Peele are black, and Michael Richards and Paula Dean are white. You are full of shit if you say  can't see the difference in the context of when and how they said it and baggage that the race of the person  using the word brings.

If you think, as Stew says, that blacks probably  should just let the word die, fine, that is a separate argument, albeit something that is not up to you, assuming you are a white person.

But this idea that black and white use of the word is equivalent is just idiotic and is a childish naked play for false victimhood. "They're using the word, so why can't I?" :'(

I don't mind being called a fenian or taig by my friends. If Jamie Bryson or Willie Frazer called me one, I'd feel an awful lot different.

Why does it matter? It can happen, and I think nothing of it.

J70

No, it's called nuance and context and historical knowledge.

But, go ahead and tell us why i am wrong. Please explain us to us how a white person calling a black person the n-word, with all the baggage that history brings with that, is the same as a black person calling another black person  the n-word.

J70

You couldn't picture a northern catholic wearing the fenian slur as a badge of honour, to say "f**k you" to some bigoted DUP-types?

You cannot understand the thought process behind co-opting a slur?

You would have sympathy for a unionist in that case whining that "they can call themselves fenians, but we can't!" and "equality!"?

J70

BTW, I am not aware of any laws preventing you from using the n-word, at least not in the states or Ireland.

So you are free to shout it at the top of your lungs, safe from the forces of the state!

Whether you have the balls to back up your apparent feelings of resentment  and defiance against this "inequality" with action is a different  issue!

You could also just start a "respect for ALL users of the n-word" or "white people are taking the n-word back... again!" campaign!

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on November 17, 2015, 02:37:51 PM

You couldn't picture a northern catholic wearing the fenian slur as a badge of honour, to say "f**k you" to some bigoted DUP-types?

You would have sympathy for a unionist in that case whining that "they can call themselves fenians, but we can't!" and "equality!"?

Nope. How is it a badge of honour? If Willie wants to use it then go ahead. I just think he's an ass for doing so but i'm not going to start some witchhunt for saying it, even with the historical usage it carries along with it.

Maybe I have thicker skin than you do J70....you seem to be quite touchy at the slightest thing.

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on November 17, 2015, 02:33:03 PM

But, go ahead and tell us why i am wrong. Please explain us to us how a white person calling a black person the n-word, with all the baggage that history brings with that, is the same as a black person calling another black person  the n-word.

Because it's a word. Now don't be having another of your little hissy fits.

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on November 17, 2015, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 17, 2015, 02:37:51 PM

Nope. How is it a badge of honour? If Willie wants to use it then go ahead. I just think he's an ass for doing so but i'm not going to start some witchhunt for saying it, even with the historical usage it carries along with it.

Maybe I have thicker skin than you do J70....you seem to be quite touchy at the slightest thing.

Not really. I'm not the one seemingly upset because  I can't say the n-word while blacks can.

And the badge of honour thing, if I must explain it, refers to someone taking an intended slur, saying "f**k you, I'm not going to let this word be used to put me down", and co-opting it and redefining it. It's actually quite common. And its hilarious  watching the bigots get their knickers in a twist when it happens!

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on November 17, 2015, 04:13:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 17, 2015, 02:33:03 PM

Because it's a word. Now don't be having another of your little hissy fits.

Its the same because it's a word?

Obviously there is more to it than it just being a word. For starters YOU seem to care an awful lot about it for it just to be a simple word. That aside, you refuse to acknowledge the bleeding obvious (once again), so there's not much else to say, for now.

omaghjoe

Of course its only a word, and a word is only a sound that we hear, and associate it with a concept in our minds. But its not about that sound, its really about the concept you are trying to project from your mind to the outside world.

If you use any of the words that you chaps have mentioned for whatever reason they have become commonly understood to be associated with a derogatory concept about certain people. If you are going to use it, you need to be dam well aware of this association and its consequences. And if you are using it in a non derogatory way (irony camaraderie, whatever) you need to use some means of disassociating with the derogatory concepts to the audience that hears it, whether that be context, lengthy explanation or whatever. Otherwise your gonna run into a world of shit, which you actually might anyway, alls it takes is one of audience to not understand the non-derogatory concept your trying to project and you'll be associated with the derogatory concept forever.

foxcommander

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 17, 2015, 07:25:32 PM
Of course its only a word, and a word is only a sound that we hear, and associate it with a concept in our minds. But its not about that sound, its really about the concept you are trying to project from your mind to the outside world.

If you use any of the words that you chaps have mentioned for whatever reason they have become commonly understood to be associated with a derogatory concept about certain people. If you are going to use it, you need to be dam well aware of this association and its consequences. And if you are using it in a non derogatory way (irony camaraderie, whatever) you need to use some means of disassociating with the derogatory concepts to the audience that hears it, whether that be context, lengthy explanation or whatever. Otherwise your gonna run into a world of shit, which you actually might anyway, alls it takes is one of audience to not understand the non-derogatory concept your trying to project and you'll be associated with the derogatory concept forever.

I hear you Joe. I just cant stand the hypocrisy to be so offended by a word but then use it so flagrantly yourself.

heganboy

Friend of mine said he loves the word "c*nt", in fact he says it is one of his all time favourite words. Still maintains he has the right to punch in the mouth anybody that calls him one though.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on November 17, 2015, 07:33:09 PM

I hear you Joe. I just cant stand the hypocrisy to be so offended by a word but then use it so flagrantly yourself.

You say you hear him and then just ignore what he said, all in the same sentence? ;D

How can it be hypocrisy when you are not using the word in the same offensive way?

J70

Quote from: heganboy on November 17, 2015, 08:47:37 PM
Friend of mine said he loves the word "c*nt", in fact he says it is one of his all time favourite words. Still maintains he has the right to punch in the mouth anybody that calls him one though.

As long as he is willing to accept  the same from anyone he himself uses it against in the same spirit!

"C*nt" is an interesting one. Run of the mill for those of us from Ireland; horrible, disgusting, lowest of the low, misogynistic slur in the US!

omaghjoe

Quote from: foxcommander on November 17, 2015, 07:33:09 PM

If you take it at face value of a sound = a word = a single meaning then of course its contradictory. But as I said languages are much more complicated than that as they project our thoughts and concepts to the outside world

But its not the word, its the derogatory concept that the listener would be offended by. If they also use the same word in a non derogatory way they are trying to project a different concept, and if thats how its understood by speaker and listener then there is no problem.