Connacht SFC 2022

Started by Rossfan, April 04, 2022, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: weareros on May 26, 2022, 02:12:01 PM
I do think the Derry Galway game was a once-off. They made a big mistake playing against the wind and game was over by half-time. It actually worked well for them the week before in Hyde Park so that probably played into their thinking. I'd say Derry would relish the chance to play Galway or Ros again, and indeed two of that trio could be provincial champions come Sunday with the potential of clashing in an All-Ireland semi. As for Sunday, it's a bit overused at this stage but it's 50/50, but also entirely possible that one team could win well. While the league means nothing, Kevin Egan's stat in Herald that Galway scored 0-10 to 1-3 in the league final when Shane Walsh came on will give Galway cause for comfort and Ros cause for worry. Galway do need their big 3 to play well to win. I do think we have a wider spread of players to take the lead if some of our key players have an off day. I don't expect AC to change his game plan, but Ros do struggle when a team packs defense and hit quickly on the attack - so I expect a more defensive approach from Padraig Joyce on Sunday.

Maybe not, as that system doesn't and never suited Galway's style method of play. I would expect the defence to be pretty much the same as for the preceding 2 matches however, i.e. Sean Kelly in the FB line, thus not the same config that lost the league final. A proper partner for Conroy is needed for midfield (probably McDaid post throw-in) and a much better return from the forwards whose names aren't Comer or Walsh.

Rudi

As much as I hate to say it, both teams are flaky & could well be bate out the gate on any given day. Both teams well able to throw in the towel when the going gets tough & accept defeat early on.
Both teams have done nothing on the national stage in yonks either.
Difficult game to call, although vast majority on here & elsewhere are going for Galway. It's a long time since Galway beat Roscommon in a Connacht final at Salthill, probably the 70s.

mouview

Quote from: Rudi on May 27, 2022, 11:19:36 AM
As much as I hate to say it, both teams are flaky & could well be bate out the gate on any given day. Both teams well able to throw in the towel when the going gets tough & accept defeat early on.
Both teams have done nothing on the national stage in yonks either.
Difficult game to call, although vast majority on here & elsewhere are going for Galway. It's a long time since Galway beat Roscommon in a Connacht final at Salthill, probably the 70s.

Rossies unbeaten this year and Galway only beaten by the Rossies in 2 games, one of which was a quasi-challenge. Bar Kerry and Dublin, all other counties are all of a muchness and it's doubtful either Galway or Roscommon would be defeated by large margins in any game involving them.

Blowitupref

Galway team and subs for Sundays Connacht final.

Connor Gleeson
Liam Silke
Seán Kelly
Jack Glynn
Dylan McHugh
John Daly
Kieran Molloy
Paul Conroy
Cillian McDaid
Patrick Kelly
Matthew Tierney
Johnny Heaney
Rob Finnerty
Damien Comer
Shane Walsh

Subs
James Keane
Johnny McGrath
Cathal Sweeney
Billy Mannion
Niall Daly
Finnian O'Laoi
Paul kelly
Owen Gallagher
Eoin Finnerty
Dessie Connelly
Tomo Culhane
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

oliverkelly

Quote from: mouview on May 27, 2022, 11:19:25 AM
I do think the Derry Galway game was a once-off. They made a big mistake playing against the wind and game was over by half-time. It actually worked well for them the week before in Hyde Park so that probably played into their thinking. I'd say Derry would relish the chance to play Galway or Ros again, and indeed two of that trio could be provincial champions come Sunday with the potential of clashing in an All-Ireland semi. As for Sunday, it's a bit overused at this stage but it's 50/50, but also entirely possible that one team could win well. While the league means nothing, Kevin Egan's stat in Herald that Galway scored 0-10 to 1-3 in the league final when Shane Walsh came on will give Galway cause for comfort and Ros cause for worry. Galway do need their big 3 to play well to win. I do think we have a wider spread of players to take the lead if some of our key players have an off day. I don't expect AC to change his game plan, but Ros do struggle when a team packs defense and hit quickly on the attack - so I expect a more defensive approach from Padraig Joyce on Sunday.

Maybe not, as that system doesn't and never suited Galway's style method of play. I would expect the defence to be pretty much the same as for the preceding 2 matches however, i.e. Sean Kelly in the FB line, thus not the same config that lost the league final. A proper partner for Conroy is needed for midfield (probably McDaid post throw-in) and a much better return from the forwards whose names aren't Comer or Walsh.
All the media talk on Galway(plenty when discussing this tie) namechecks Conroy walsh amd Comer amd dont get my wrong they all are unreal amd could decide this game but Kelly imo is not far off Galways best player. Fact he is so athletic and good that he can play anywhere probably stops him getting publicity like the others. Stack the same for us. Kelly destoyed us and others last year with his runs from deep

Blowitupref

Roscommon team and subs for Sunday's Connacht final.

Colm Lavin
David Murray 
Brian Stack
Conor Daly
Ronan Daly
Niall Daly
Conor Hussey 
Ultan Harney
Eddie Nolan
Ciaran Murtagh
Enda Smith
Cathal Heneghan
Cian McKeon
Donie Smith
Conor Cox

Subs
Conor Carroll
Hubert Darcy
Dylan Ruane
Richard Hughes
Shane Cunnane
Niall Kilroy
Ciaran Sugrue
Keith Doyle
Andrew Glennon
Eoin McCormack
Diarmuid Murtagh
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: oliverkelly on May 27, 2022, 11:34:05 PM
Quote from: mouview on May 27, 2022, 11:19:25 AM

All the media talk on Galway(plenty when discussing this tie) namechecks Conroy walsh amd Comer amd dont get my wrong they all are unreal amd could decide this game but Kelly imo is not far off Galways best player. Fact he is so athletic and good that he can play anywhere probably stops him getting publicity like the others. Stack the same for us. Kelly destoyed us and others last year with his runs from deep
100%. I think the reason the 3 boys are mentioned like that is because they are all attacking players that can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard.
Saying that I think you're right though - Im not sure too many outside of Galway realise just how good Kelly is. There is more talk about Tierney (again probably because he is an attacking player) but Kelly is a much better (albeit completely different) player.
Really looking forward to this game.
It's so tough to call

Rossfan

McCormack, probably our best player over the 9 League and Championship games, will be disappointed not to be starting.
I expect AC felt an experienced Daly might be more suitable for this game.
A good bench there which will be needed and utilised.
C'mon Ros💙💛💙💛
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

kopite

Anyone know a good pub(s) in Paris to watch the gaa tomorrow?

oliverkelly

Derry may relish meeting Galway or Ros again but from what i seen in the league game against Ros they were f**k all good. Bar the ref bringing them bavk into the game we would have beaten them by a similar score Galway did. I expext Donegal to beat them comfortable tomorrow and should either us or galway face them again i would be gobsmacked of Derry win

Farrandeelin

Looking forward to this game I must say. I picked Galway in the prediction competition, but I have a sneaky suspicion Ros could do it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Nice goal by Shane Walsh.
Expecting a reply from the Rossies
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Half time Galway 2-7 Roscommon 0-8. Tribesmen the better side in that half but i don't think they were 5 points the better team. Galway are defending better though and i don't think Roscommon will be too pleased at the manner of how those goals was conceded.

seafoid

[Constant 6 points in it.

seafoid

Disappointing result for the neighbours.