Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 24, 2021, 03:48:41 PM
Is Shefflin not in charge of some lower down club now? I thought I saw him on the sideline on some of those TG4 games.
Managing Thomastown who are playing intermediate, Shefflin said won't manage against Ballyhale Shamrocks who are only 10 minutes down the road.

Dag Dog

Quote from: burdizzo on September 23, 2021, 10:23:26 PM
As that piece acknowledged, Cody is still getting them titles - albeit not all-Irelands.
How much is that is down to Leinster being so bad again?
For the first 10 years of Cody's tenure he could have fielded the camogie team and still won Leinsters.
Dublin, Galway and Wexford lifted it for a little bit but are gone bad again.

seafoid

The general standard in Leinster has deteriorated in recent years
Munster is stronger.
It is the opposite of the rugby.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Watched that Ballyhale v OL Gaels final there on Sunday, the ref hadn't a pea in his whistle by the looks of it but both teams just got on with it which is admirable.

Ballyhale playing a direct brand of hurling, the traditional Cody way of forwards winning their own ball. Worked for them as the Gaels also didn't play a bank of sweepers and left too many one on one battles inside their own 20 metre line. The Gaels looked to be trying to work the ball out but came unstuck quite a bit doing so. Hard to see the Kilkenny seniors adapt for the likes of Limerick come summer time.

Colin Fennelly looks to be off the boil at the moment but it's winter hurling and Ballyhale will take some stopping.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on November 09, 2021, 09:44:37 AM
Watched that Ballyhale v OL Gaels final there on Sunday, the ref hadn't a pea in his whistle by the looks of it but both teams just got on with it which is admirable.

Ballyhale playing a direct brand of hurling, the traditional Cody way of forwards winning their own ball. Worked for them as the Gaels also didn't play a bank of sweepers and left too many one on one battles inside their own 20 metre line. The Gaels looked to be trying to work the ball out but came unstuck quite a bit doing so. Hard to see the Kilkenny seniors adapt for the likes of Limerick come summer time.

Colin Fennelly looks to be off the boil at the moment but it's winter hurling and Ballyhale will take some stopping.

He was well marshalled to be fair, probably in some games would have won a free or two but the ref was having none of it lol.. He'll not meet a defender as good as that next day out tbf. So he'll have more good days than bad.. Gaels sort of ran out of steam, I thought for most parts they had the measure of the Shamrocks but that last quarter they hadn't a puff left and a scoring burst was enough to put it to bed for Ballyhale.

Ballyhale are beatable, they are not the team of a few years ago, not sure what the break from the all Ireland series will have had on the team and others,  just looking forward to the games this year, no dominant teams at club level

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

So Derek Lyng is the new KK manager. Willl he be able to bridge the gap and will he get enough time ?

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on August 05, 2022, 12:33:19 PM
So Derek Lyng is the new KK manager. Willl he be able to bridge the gap and will he get enough time ?

I'll think he'll get time and there's a nucleus of a very good team in there, a slight variation in style might help as they definitely caused Limerick problems at times in the game, but couldn't sustain it and also Limerick were able to adapt to the new threat which is why they're such an outstanding team.

Will another Leinster championship win be considered enough, I'd have thought so, but when you've been spoiled with AI's coming out your ears they will consider themselves in a lean period in KK....

seafoid

Kilkenny are 2 years behind Man Utd.

They are like the Kerry team who could not beat Tyrone or the other ones who could not beat Down.

There will be huge pressure to deliver an all Ireland imo. Out of respect for Cody there  issue was probably shelved but 8 years is massive for them and on the slippery slope to Cork...

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2022, 02:21:24 PM

They are like the Kerry team who could not beat Tyrone or the other ones who could not beat Down.

There will be huge pressure to deliver an all Ireland imo. Out of respect for Cody there  issue was probably shelved but 8 years is massive for them and on the slippery slope to Cork...

Hard to know. One thing for sure is that there's good hurlers in KK.  Moreso than in any other county.

Lyng will get time, if they want to do it right.  Style needs to adjust a bit yet but work in progress.

I mean who would have reckoned, at the start of the year, that they'd win Leinster again and run Limerick as close as they've been ever run. Not me.

Point is they will always be there or thereabouts as they have the hurlers.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2022, 04:18:19 PM

Hard to know. One thing for sure is that there's good hurlers in KK.  Moreso than in any other county.

Lyng will get time, if they want to do it right.  Style needs to adjust a bit yet but work in progress.

I mean who would have reckoned, at the start of the year, that they'd win Leinster again and run Limerick as close as they've been ever run. Not me.

They're still reliant on the 34 yo TJ Reid though, so he'll probably wait till he's the club campaign out of the way before committing to another year at IC.

If he hangs up the compression socks that's a big blow for Lyng.

clonadmad

As a student of kk hurling they are in trouble with both the  quantity and quality of hurler they are producing

Cody getting them to an all ireland this year would rank close to the top of his greatest achievements

If he had won it,it would have been his greatest 

Reid started in 2008 with canning Callanan and Horgan,he's committed to one more year but time waits for no man

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clonadmad on August 11, 2022, 11:31:49 AM

As a student of kk hurling they are in trouble with both the  quantity and quality of hurler they are producing

Cody getting them to an all ireland this year would rank close to the top of his greatest achievements

If he had won it,it would have been his greatest 

Reid started in 2008 with canning Callanan and Horgan,he's committed to one more year but time waits for no man

Yes there is no stand out players like TJ and co that we were blessed with back in the Cody heights, so they have to adopt, they have always had outstanding players but need a new format, a new style for them to compete with the likes of Limerick

Kilkenny never lack height physicality or playing on the edge, Limerick have that and something else, they have a better panel also...

Kilkenny will have to rip up Cody's gameplan and that will take time, but as you seen last day out, they never give up, having that which teams like Galway don't is huge also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

The 4 in a row team that won 8-11 all Irelands was unique and can't be replicated any more than Barcelona can replicate their glory days.
I remember being in a pub in Dublin at lunchtime on the day of  the 2015 all Ireland, looking at KK fans, wondering what it must feel like to have won so much
That was the last one.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on August 11, 2022, 10:15:45 AM

They're still reliant on the 34 yo TJ Reid though, so he'll probably wait till he's the club campaign out of the way before committing to another year at IC.

If he hangs up the compression socks that's a big blow for Lyng.

Why wouldn't he keep going?

He loves playing hurling first and foremost.