Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffman

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 05, 2022, 07:46:12 AM
Quote from: BrollysArmy on June 05, 2022, 02:20:46 AM
It's a real shame when the county chair lodges a complaint against a player, for playing against his club the day after a county game, instead of making the choice to drink to get more game time in and then he gets the full treatment from the management

??

County chairmans club didn't play today...
Probably best to get stories straight before making them up.

NAG1

Came away from Croke more confused than anything.

Hard to see how we can go from being so on top and so in control to completely clueless and changing of strategy.

Not sure if the change came from the line, but bringing on big Donal would suggest it was led from the sidelines, pure madness.

We have a couple of forwards as good as any around and we showed that in the first half, the defence is so open its not even funny.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 06, 2022, 11:02:38 AM
Came away from Croke more confused than anything.

Hard to see how we can go from being so on top and so in control to completely clueless and changing of strategy.

Not sure if the change came from the line, but bringing on big Donal would suggest it was led from the sidelines, pure madness.

We have a couple of forwards as good as any around and we showed that in the first half, the defence is so open its not even funny.

We were on a downward spiral before Donal came on I thought?  They won a lot of primary ball, their fielding was far superior and like us in the first half played the better ball against the wind..

The goal they got at the end just put a very poor look on the game.. Had we finished 4 points up at the end I'd have been ok with it and questioned a few things, they aint a bad team and have given us our fill of it for many a year, we've just managed like we did on Sat do enough to win win it mattered against them.

Our strengths on Sat was playing the low ball in front of our quick attackers who were able to turn and set up the scores, we didn't do that in the second half and to be fair to the Kerry management they tried to cut that out and and capitalise on the space up front
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah the tactics were gone long before Nugent came on - wouldn't put it at his door. Also McManus was busted - he's clearly not fully fit yet - and needed to come off

Our main strength was the quality of diagonal ball into the FF line then Kerry seemed to rumble that a bit. Whether that be pushing up on puckouts or more sweepers I don't know.

I honestly think we were always winning that game. Yes we were suspect at the back but look at Molloy and McManus who've hardly played recently and on being fully fit they would add a lot more than they did (though they were still good). Our defense concedes a pile of space but it always has. I also thought McKenna should have seen a lot more game time.

So in summary IMO we're just about good enough to win the joe mcdonagh and not good enough for the level up as we are probably in for a lesson but that's not much different from ever

NAG1

To be clear I am in no way putting it at Donal's door, yes the tactics were gone at that point. My point is the management did not help this by introducing a player who suits that long ball game.

Difficult to change direction when the game is in full flight for sure but think we could have been a bit smarter and saw the game out a little more comfortably.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 06, 2022, 12:39:08 PM
To be clear I am in no way putting it at Donal's door, yes the tactics were gone at that point. My point is the management did not help this by introducing a player who suits that long ball game.

Difficult to change direction when the game is in full flight for sure but think we could have been a bit smarter and saw the game out a little more comfortably.

The momentum was gaining and we should have employed a sweeper right in front of the full back, they were winning primary ball and we then either fouled or allowed him inside..

The tactics are discussed at halftime on what to do and its very difficult to rectify mid half when the shit was hitting the fan... Thats when the leaders on the pitch earn their stripes, Daniel McKernan did improve things, regardless of the 'trip' the ref could have said the defender struck his arm and blew for that rather that his trip up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I actually thought it was the right call tbh. McManus was in there to win ball and was done. We needed someone in there who could make the ball stick. He wasn't in long enough to make any difference and tbh at this level maybe struggles for pace but I thought it merited bringing him on.

Dowling did a good wee bit on where we lost things. It was really further out the field with putting the hail marys in.

MR what did you think of Antrim's penalty? Was that belt on McManus a red card offense? i thought it would have been borderline tbh. Also watching it back absolutely no way was the kerry penalty a penalty.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 01:39:23 PM

I actually thought it was the right call tbh. McManus was in there to win ball and was done. We needed someone in there who could make the ball stick. He wasn't in long enough to make any difference and tbh at this level maybe struggles for pace but I thought it merited bringing him on.

Dowling did a good wee bit on where we lost things. It was really further out the field with putting the hail marys in.

MR what did you think of Antrim's penalty? Was that belt on McManus a red card offense? i thought it would have been borderline tbh. Also watching it back absolutely no way was the kerry penalty a penalty.

At intercounty level that is the standard call, black card and penalty given, but the play actually didnt break down, Neil got his pass off and he wasn't actually going in on goal then, but the ref's seem to be told that that challenge warrants the black card and penalty, the belts in yesterdays game where yellow cards outside the box so it would have been a soft red for me.

As for that other 'penalty' I really thought at the time he gave it because we were stuffing them! I know that sounds daft but I've watched it back several times and there is literally no contact with the sticks on player, nothing round the neck and no impeding player, so if he did give a penalty why did he not show a black card?

Some calls were suspect but I'd be more concerned with our second half performance

imtommygunn

Yeah agreed. Just frustrating that you see all this crap about Daniel McKernan's non trip when in fact on the balance of it the ref could have given us a few things too. An Irish examiner journalist questioned Antrim's penalty and Kerry's black card but not Kerry's penalty though...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2022, 02:15:05 PM
Yeah agreed. Just frustrating that you see all this crap about Daniel McKernan's non trip when in fact on the balance of it the ref could have given us a few things too. An Irish examiner journalist questioned Antrim's penalty and Kerry's black card but not Kerry's penalty though...

I hate nothing more than sore losers.. on the balance of play 76 minutes Antrim deserved to win and the calls given and not given generally even out over the game, I think we can address a few of those issues for Cork, it won't change the result maybe but we should look at shoring up defence and play short balls into space, Cork are very quick also so our lads need to stand up..

Was also going to say that our lads who stood out in the first half were denied a lot of ball in the second half, must have been frustrating for Clarkey and co who lapped up the service in the first half

north_antrim_hound

The press and analysts in south showed where their loyalty lies (Kerry) by only wanting to talk about mc kernan. I thought the Ref played advantage and when he hit the deck blew his whistle. Never a penalty and MR2 is spot when he said the Ref gave them some sympathy calls including the penalty, I think that's why he blew it up with one point in it. Still that second half performance took the shine of things.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2022, 02:34:41 PM

I hate nothing more than sore losers.. on the balance of play 76 minutes Antrim deserved to win and the calls given and not given generally even out over the game, I think we can address a few of those issues for Cork, it won't change the result maybe but we should look at shoring up defence and play short balls into space, Cork are very quick also so our lads need to stand up..

Was also going to say that our lads who stood out in the first half were denied a lot of ball in the second half, must have been frustrating for Clarkey and co who lapped up the service in the first half

Clarke, Shan and coby seem to drift out to middle third when ball went in. Left a Mc Manus who was out of petrol and mc cann then nugent up against there 7 6 and 9 who happened to be their best players. On the other end our defense was getting sucked out for the their Sub no.20 who hit most of their scores. At this level you gotta fix stuff and quick which we didn't. We nearly blew it
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 06, 2022, 02:50:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2022, 02:34:41 PM

Clarke, Shan and coby seem to drift out to middle third when ball went in. Left a Mc Manus who was out of petrol and mc cann then nugent up against there 7 6 and 9 who happened to be their best players. On the other end our defense was getting sucked out for the their Sub no.20 who hit most of their scores. At this level you gotta fix stuff and quick which we didn't. We nearly blew it

So did they drift out naturally like you do when looking for the ball or were they told to drift back and lets save what we have?

I prefer to go on the front foot when you are dominating, push them into making mistakes, when they went down to 14 it made no difference either. so the extra man was missing.

As an aul defender, nothing better than a 50/50 ball knowing you have a sweeper in their also, and we played to that, what's my worse nightmare as a defender, low crossfield balls or 30 yard passes infront of the speedy attacker! impossible at times

johnnycool

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 06, 2022, 02:40:54 PM
The press and analysts in south showed where their loyalty lies (Kerry) by only wanting to talk about mc kernan. I thought the Ref played advantage and when he hit the deck blew his whistle. Never a penalty and MR2 is spot when he said the Ref gave them some sympathy calls including the penalty, I think that's why he blew it up with one point in it. Still that second half performance took the shine of things.

Kerry penalty was soft, only thing that could possibly in it is that the defender in attempting to get the ball which the Kerry lad threw high in attempt to bat it, their hurl came off the lads helmet which seems to be a free now irrespective of intent.

Mckernans was wrong, he looked to have tripped himself, not sure if he got a smack before it, maybe and with him falling no advantage was accruing but it's about time a Northern team got a rub of the green.

Antrim were by far the better team, but switching off isn't a good trait within the team, not that that'll be an issue against Cork.

You have earned the right to be there, go for broke.

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on June 06, 2022, 03:28:22 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 06, 2022, 02:40:54 PM

Kerry penalty was soft, only thing that could possibly in it is that the defender in attempting to get the ball which the Kerry lad threw high in attempt to bat it, their hurl came off the lads helmet which seems to be a free now irrespective of intent.

Mckernans was wrong, he looked to have tripped himself, not sure if he got a smack before it, maybe and with him falling no advantage was accruing but it's about time a Northern team got a rub of the green.

Antrim were by far the better team, but switching off isn't a good trait within the team, not that that'll be an issue against Cork.

You have earned the right to be there, go for broke.

yeah we have switched off in most games I think. Despite the down result we really switched off in it too.

I still think that we were a good bit better and concentration, or lack thereof, got the better of us.