Mrs Brown's Boys

Started by ONeill, January 02, 2015, 06:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Tried to watch it a number of times. Normally I'd get a small laugh out of the most mundane programmes, but couldn't even managed a smile for Mrs Brown's Boys.

I've been told it's goes over my head (not sure if they were making short jokes at my expense) and it's too sophisticated for me. They must think I'm a complete oink!
Testing Accessibility

rrhf

This has polarised Ireland more than the Tony Keady affair.

ONeill

Quote from: Itchy on January 02, 2015, 09:27:21 PM
Anyone looking forward to channel 4s new sitcom based during the famine. Word is that they are planning a Auschwitz comedy next year too.

Not getting the uproar over this. Wait and see how it's done. Blackadder Goes Forth tastefully and poignantly covered the senselessness of millions of deaths of WW1. I remember watching a comedy on the Holocaust which perfectly worked.

People are signing petitions etc before it's seen. Give it a chance. Plenty of people supposedly outraged by this probably couldn't tell you a lot about it, whereas a carefully written show maybe will educate them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2015, 11:11:31 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 02, 2015, 09:27:21 PM
Anyone looking forward to channel 4s new sitcom based during the famine. Word is that they are planning a Auschwitz comedy next year too.

Not getting the uproar over this. Wait and see how it's done. Blackadder Goes Forth tastefully and poignantly covered the senselessness of millions of deaths of WW1. I remember watching a comedy on the Holocaust which perfectly worked.

People are signing petitions etc before it's seen. Give it a chance. Plenty of people supposedly outraged by this probably couldn't tell you a lot about it, whereas a carefully written show maybe will educate them.
Father Ted caused uproar too.

ONeill

It did. It referenced paedophilia many times. We've been sickened with comedies about the troubles on BBC and ITV for years now. Not because of the subject matter but because they're crap.

Now we have a hierarchy of acceptable comedy depending on what?

Give it a chance or don't watch it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2015, 11:35:54 PM
It did. It referenced paedophilia many times. We've been sickened with comedies about the troubles on BBC and ITV for years now. Not because of the subject matter but because they're crap.

I read some absolute drivel last night (retweeted by Ziggy I think) about what was funny about people eating grass etc. What was funny about the front line in WW1? The people behind this shite seem to think it will show images of dead babies and emaciated bodies  ::)

ONeill

Django, Inglorious, Life is Beautiful, all the crap BBC war comedies....but as soon as us Irish are involved it's an outrage. Unfortunately social media can whip people into a frenzy before they sit down and have a think.

On the other hand, it's ok to oppose all comedy that touches on death or tragedy if that's your choice. But don't pick and choose.

On another hand - it might be shite.

BennyCake

Mrs B must be too sophistimacated for the likes of me. Maybe that's why I don't get it.

Besides being not funny, I can't stand that shifty wee bollix BO'C. He sums up the dodgy fcukers you see all the time in Dublin. The types that would rob your eye teeth if they could manage it.

Itchy

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2015, 11:59:59 PM
Django, Inglorious, Life is Beautiful, all the crap BBC war comedies....but as soon as us Irish are involved it's an outrage. Unfortunately social media can whip people into a frenzy before they sit down and have a think.

On the other hand, it's ok to oppose all comedy that touches on death or tragedy if that's your choice. But don't pick and choose.

Or maybe the point is a British station making a comedy about a genocide they (british) inflicted on the Irish. Have any German stations made a show about the holocaust ?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on January 03, 2015, 12:40:52 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2015, 11:59:59 PM

Or maybe the point is a British station making a comedy about a genocide they (british) inflicted on the Irish. Have any German stations made a show about the holocaust ?

Shhh You are not supposed to say that out loud!

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 02, 2015, 11:54:45 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2015, 11:35:54 PM

I read some absolute drivel last night (retweeted by Ziggy I think) about what was funny about people eating grass etc. What was funny about the front line in WW1? The people behind this shite seem to think it will show images of dead babies and emaciated bodies  ::)

Grass? What are you on about?
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

You do know that it is by an Irish writer who was given a blank canvas to write about anything he wanted?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ONeill

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility