Indentured slaves?

Started by blewuporstuffed, December 23, 2015, 10:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

I wasn't really sure were to post this, but I thought it was an excellent piece and deserved a mention, an alternative view to a lot of the stuff joe brolly (and others) have been writing recently, and something I can relate to a lot.

from Conan Doherty for Joe.ie
http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/hold-if-gaa-players-are-slaves-then-i-really-dont-want-to-know-any-other-way-of-living/54923

If GAA players are slaves, then I really don't want to know any other way of living

By Conan Doherty

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...
Victorious."

I was asked a question recently that really made me think.

"What would you say has been your favourite moment in life so far?"

Try answering that without a bit of soul-searching.

The answer I found was pure clarity. It was unheard of to the rest of the world. But the answer I found was the GAA.

For pure joy? It came to me instantly.

In 2011, winning a promotion/relegation play-off on a muddy field in November to reach senior football in Derry for the first time in the club's history.

The scenes, the celebrations. Scores of men and women trampling atop of one another in utter euphoria. Hugging everyone in sight. Roars and laughs and embraces that seemed to go on forever. Timeless.

The changing rooms after. The jokes of mistakes that you could now own up to. Talk of the madness just passed. The aul' fella who lost his mind. Ribbing the manager for the first time all season. Relaxation. Fulfillment.

But what about the proudest moment? Your finest accomplishment. That moment when you stood in achievement and drank it all in. It came to me quicker than the first.

And, to the outside, it was even more unimportant.

In 2014, winning the under-16 B championship with a group of teenagers who had worked their balls off and done exactly as you asked.

Seeing a younger generation in the club lift a cup for the first time since you were back there playing yourself, watching them come together in elation and catching that same bug we all caught at one stage or another. And feeling like you actually helped them do it? That's a difficult high to replicate.

But you go in search of it again. And again. And again. That's what you do.

Your favourite moment in life so far... Your favourite.

Over the course of 27 years of laughter, friendship and love, those are the two definitive ones plucked out when pressed. Two moments, two games of football that no-one has even heard of. Two local, modest, insignificant-to-the-rest achievements that interested maybe 200 people.

Yet, in 27 years, they stand out as the mark of someone's time here.

In 27 years, they represent someone's whole world.

They show us just why we play this game.

You know, that time we got promoted - that most joyous moment ever - we only ended up spending three years in Derry's top division.

In hindsight, we failed in our objectives and those seasons were a tough slog that were, ultimately, a big disappointment. We got relegated. We cried. We went backwards. Still, you look at one cold day that got us there and smile. You look at a day that most of the people in your life don't even know or care about and you hold it dearest. It's memories that aren't tainted no matter what came after.

That's why we do it. That's why we live. You make moments, good and bad, and hope you can lose the shit in the editing process. You keep the good ones. You look back and remember. And you tell your story.

You don't get to do that when you're afraid to give it a rattle. You don't get to tell your story when you refuse to put in a bit of the groundwork.

GAA players have gotten a lot of bad press recently.

"Indentured slaves" is a term that has incredibly - even impressively - caught on and it's being bandied around about anyone willing to go a few extra yards to achieve something at the end of it. About anyone looking to give something a go.

Apparently county players and club teams are doing too much work. They're in the gym every day, they're sprinting for miles and their diets would make you wince. So what? Why are we scowling at people who are trying to be the best versions of themselves?

What's the alternative?

It's human nature to want to better yourself, to want to achieve something. If you don't play GAA, you might undertake triathlon and put your body through even worse. You might just take up a marathon for the hell of it having done nothing previously and head out for hours upon hours of tedious running. Because you have an end goal in sight. Because you have an objective to overcome. You want to challenge yourself. You want to make memories.

No-one's forcing players to put the work in. Players are doing it because they want to improve. They're doing it because they want to win. They want to make memories.

And when you commit yourself to this way of life, when you're building something with your community and friends, when the GAA becomes your entire world, it doesn't matter one bit if no-one has any clue what, where or why you're doing it.

All that matters is that you're playing the game. All that matters is that you're giving it a shot.

To paraphrase Jim McGuinness's book: There's something so thrilling about starting something and having no idea if you're going to succeed. But it's so daring and brave to say to yourself that you're going to give it a rattle anyway.

At the end of it all, you might not be famous, you might not be rich and you might not even succeed. But there's something so pure and natural about giving it your all.

"To any young people... all I can say is make the sacrifices... because it's worth it." (AP McCoy)

Please stop belittling the noble hard work that amateur athletes are dedicating their lives to out of choice. Out of dreams.

I'll get nowhere near the top of my sport and, still, with 27 years to look back on, nothing even comes close to the feeling I got from two mediocre GAA achievements. Two moments of pure happiness. Two moments hardly anyone knows about.

I got them by working.

I got them by busting my balls, sweating and even bleeding. I got them through sacrifice.

I got them through pain and defeat. I got them through working my heart out in a good cause.

And, do you know what? I can't wait to do it all over again.

That's what the GAA is. That's what living is

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Green Fields

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 23, 2015, 10:08:30 AM

"To any young people... all I can say is make the sacrifices... because it's worth it." (AP McCoy)

He said that at an award ceremony among many fellow wealthy athletes, giving up your life for the GAA doesn't pay the mortgage.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Green Fields on December 23, 2015, 11:44:55 AM

He said that at an award ceremony among many fellow wealthy athletes, giving up your life for the GAA doesn't pay the mortgage.

No it doesn't, nor should it.
I think you are missing the point though, there is much more to be gained from dedicating yourself to a sport than money.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Green Fields

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 23, 2015, 11:46:33 AM

I think you are missing the point though, there is much more to be gained from dedicating yourself to a sport than money.

There is also a lot to lose.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Green Fields on December 23, 2015, 11:49:25 AM

Such as?

seafoid

Singing in a choir or helping out with the SVP doesnt pay the mortgage either. The vast majority of people are not pro athletes. Life is for living and the GAA is a glorious part of life.

As the follower used to say, they will be remembered by their people and being remembered by the muintir is about as good as it gets.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Green Fields

Enjoying your formative years with friends, not having a huge void when everything stops.  GAA is an amazing sport but the professional approach now taken even among clubs and the expectation put on folk with jobs and a life is getting ridiculous.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Green Fields on December 23, 2015, 11:56:17 AM
Enjoying your formative years with friends, not having a huge void when everything stops.  GAA is an amazing sport but the professional approach now taken even among clubs and the expectation put on folk with jobs and a life is getting ridiculous.
I could make the argument that the GAA was a huge part of doing just that.

There is no gun to the head, play or don't play. Push yourself or don't, its your choice, but there will always be people in any sport and any walk of life that will be more dedicated to something than the average guy.
It also so happens that a lot of the time these are the most successful.
If they can do that and enjoy it, they why shouldn't they? If they stop enjoying it, the option is always there to walk away, or drop down and play at junior level or whatever.

brokencrossbar1

I think the likes of Joe Brolly and that are simply commenting on the changes that have gone on over the last 20 odd years or so that have seen the GAA transform into something which is very different to what it was when he was playing.  It is semi professional at county level and not far off it at top club level.  The expectation and commitment is well above what it once was and the impact that can have on lads' lives is immense.  I know when I played we were the mould breakers in terms of what was done at club level and we definitely changed that area.  What has evolved now is the natural progression of the way the sport has been going since the late 90's. 

Indentured slaves is a handy hook-line and is a bit flippant to some extent.  The players do it willingly to a degree but it does hold back much of the rest of their lives.  I gave up the opportunity to travel and spent summers in new york and the like because of my desire to play football.  I sometimes regret that as I feel I missed out.  On the flip side I have amazing memories that can never be replicated and I can travel really any time (or at lest when the BC juniors are old enough!).  To my mind I made the right call,  on the balance of probabilities, but some others may feel the desire to see the world when they are young enough and single enough to enjoy it. The pressure of county football can prevent that.

JoG2

Dear jayzus but you suck the life out of every thread you post in. 

Great article BTW.    Canny wait for the first week of January to get back at it!  :-) 

Zulu

But your own Jamie Clarke proves that's not the case, or at least not necessarily. Lads can still have a slice of cheesecake or a beer and if they want a year away traveling they can do it. My playing days are coming to an end but I'd love to be young enough to be part of an inter county set up pushing myself to the limits. I doubt too many lads doing it don't throughly enjoy it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Zulu on December 23, 2015, 02:00:46 PM
But your own Jamie Clarke proves that's not the case, or at least not necessarily. Lads can still have a slice of cheesecake or a beer and if they want a year away traveling they can do it. My playing days are coming to an end but I'd love to be young enough to be part of an inter county set up pushing myself to the limits. I doubt too many lads doing it don't throughly enjoy it.

But you see to me Jamie is not fulfilling his full football potential because he wants to go and travel.  If Jamie gave the commitment the way some other county men do then he would be at a completely different level than he is at now.  He is a bohemian type character who plays off the cuff but if he copied,  for instance,  Aaron Kernans approach to training etc then Jamie would be the best forward in Ireland without a doubt.  He plays the way he wants to and that's fine but he has a ceiling that is much higher than he currently is reaching.

thebuzz

Quote from: Zulu on December 23, 2015, 02:00:46 PM

Jamie is different in that a lot of guys might fear for their place in the team if they 'swanned off' around the world. He was always going to get his place back.

Syferus

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 23, 2015, 11:51:34 AM
Quote from: Green Fields on December 23, 2015, 11:49:25 AM

Such as?

The percentage of IC players and even club players with chronic injuries is remarkable. Knee, back and shoulder injuries have massive impacts on how you live your life outside football. They're the sorts of injuries that will effect your quality of life for every day you'll live till you die, hopefully long after you've hung up your boots for good. You can't help but both feel sorry for and have immense respect for what players put themselves through.

Players give a lot for little in the main. That's both the mystique and the failing of gaelic games in one sentence. Players need to be looked after a lot better than they are. Anyone trying to say different can only be described as detached from reality. What form that better care takes is the only question.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on December 23, 2015, 06:49:50 PM

The percentage of IC players and even club players with chronic injuries is remarkable. Knee, back and shoulder injuries have massive impacts on how you live your life outside football. They're the sorts of injuries that will effect your quality of life for every day you'll live till you die, hopefully long after you've hung up your boots for good. You can't help but both feel sorry for and have immense respect for what players put themselves through.

Players give a lot for little in the main. That's both the mystique and the failing of gaelic games in one sentence. Players need to be looked after a lot better than they are. Anyone trying to say different can only be described as detached from reality. What form that better care takes is the only question.

Agree with what you say Syf. The problem with all this Madness is we want our bread buttered on both sides. We want our Players to be of a professional standard but for free! We keep trying to invent more and more competitions and ways of keeping teams in competitions. Trying to get more and more out of them. This will go on and on. For every Declan O'Sullivan and Michael Meehan retiring a wreck, there is a young naive talent ready to fill their boots. So the GAA don't have to worry as there is a conveyor belt and there always will be. Youth do not know of Chronic injury and more importantly do not fear it. By the time they do begin to fear the worst, wear and tear and time have set in.