What Size is your Club?

Started by blewuporstuffed, December 02, 2014, 02:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Following on from the Small parishes thread, I would be interested to know what the average size of a club is and what level you compete at.

Our club would have well under 300 adult  members (something around 230 I think and about 80 youth members if my memory serves me right).
We are currently a senior club, and i would say are one of the smallest, if not the smallest numberswise.

I would say some of the dublin clubs are bound to have huge numbers.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

I'd say Don't Matter has a spreadsheet on all the Dublin club numbers.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

general_lee

Our club, an intermediate town club, is from memory around 300 but is probably a lot less now... which going by an Irish News award recieved a few years back apparently makes us a medium-sized club. We are often perceived as a 'big club' because of past glories, but one of our near neighbours has thousands of members and is the biggest in the county (they're still shite)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on December 02, 2014, 03:27:24 PM
I'd say Don't Matter has a spreadsheet on all the Dublin club numbers.

The Dubin comment wasnt ment to have a go at dublin, Im sure most of the big towns/ cities have clubs with large numbers.

I suppose i was just interested to know how strong the corrolation between club size and the level that club competes at is.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Franko

Interesting thread.  Is there a central database in Croke Park which lists all clubs and their membership?

5 Sams

Quote from: Franko on December 02, 2014, 03:54:43 PM
Interesting thread.  Is there a central database in Croke Park which lists all clubs and their membership?

Yep. Run by Servasport. Clubs have to register members every year.
The Aristocrat Years

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 02, 2014, 04:19:47 PM

i dont think you can access figures for every clubs membership tho can you?

5 Sams

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 02, 2014, 04:23:58 PM

Nope...but the info is there.
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Well it took over a decade and a half, but finally we got to 'how big is is yours?'.

Is this the end of the discussion? Discuss......
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 02, 2014, 07:27:37 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 02, 2014, 04:23:58 PM

Nope...but the info is there.

It would be interesting if they published the data.

Who would be the biggest club in ireland , membership wise?

How to the likes of Crossmaglen, as the most successfull club of the current era compare to other clubs competing at provincial and AI level?

Hiow does general membership translate into playing numbers?

etc

LaurelEye

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 02, 2014, 02:38:44 PM
Following on from the Small parishes thread, I would be interested to know what the average size of a club is and what level you compete at.

Our club would have well under 300 adult  members (something around 230 I think and about 80 youth members if my memory serves me right).
We are currently a senior club, and i would say are one of the smallest, if not the smallest numberswise.

I would say some of the dublin clubs are bound to have huge numbers.

About 120 registered members along with about 60 youth members. (Paid-up is a good deal smaller  :-\ )

Catchment area population according to the last census is 420. (May be a bit bigger in reality because students, etc. would have been away for the census night but definitely not much more than 450.)

Losing Senior county finalists this year.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Norf Tyrone

We have 316 members with a 1/3 being youth.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 08, 2014, 02:30:19 PM
We have 316 members with a 1/3 being youth.
last years figures from the AGM, 203 adult members, 74 youth