Team of the noughties

Started by blewuporstuffed, April 23, 2009, 03:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Been alot of banter on here between tyrone & kerry folk as to who is 'team of the decade' so i thought i try and name a team of the decade selection from all counties.
turns out its tougher than i thought!!!!
would anyone outside kerry/tyrone/armagh get in it?

for me there are a few automatic selections to go on it,tomas o'sea,sean cavanagh,gooch,
and then a raft of others that a very good case could be made for

mcgeeney, gormley,canavan,dara osea, jordan, mcdonnell, joyce, s.o'n, oisin, ricey, mcgrane.

Anyone brave enough to have a go at lining a team out?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longrunsthefox

I hate that expression ... 'the noughties'  :(

TacadoirArdMhacha

D O'Keefe (Kerry)

R McMenamin (Tyrone)
S Moyinhan (Kerry)
A Lynch (Cork)

T O Sé (Kerry)
K McGeeney (Armagh)
P Jordan (Tyrone)

P McGrane (Armagh)
D O Sé (Kerry)

C Cooper (Kerry)
C McDonald (Mayo)
S Cavanagh (Tyrone)

S McDonnell (Armagh)
D Browne (Tipperary)
M Forde (Wexford)

I don't really like that half forward line due to the lack of natural half-forwards. Maybe I'm a bit biased on Stevie but I think you can justify him ahead of Stephen O'Neill. You could argue Canavan should be there though he played his best football in the 1990s. Joyce probably should be there as well. Michael Donnellan at the start of the decade would have been as good as any of O Sé, McGrane and Cavanagh, I went for players who've been about for most of the decade (bar Moyinhan). Marc O Sé would have a big shout ahead of Anthony Lynch. Would have liked to have found a place for Colin Corkery whose one of my favourite footballers. Its all very subjective and something no one's ever going to agree on.

Actually been a while since we had one fo these "bext XV" threads. They're usually done to death on the board over the winter months.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

T O Hare

1. S Cluxton
2. Ricey
3. G Canty
4. M O Se
5. T o se
6. Geezer
7. P Jordan
8. P McGrane
9.D O Se
10.B Dooher
11.Gooch
12. Sean Cavanagh
13.Steven McDonnell
14. K Donaghy
15. B Coulter
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

blewuporstuffed

Right heres an attempt anyway: (prob with a slight Tyrone bias)

1.Stephen Cluxton, Dublin
2.Michael McCarthy (Kerry)
3.Conor Gormley (Tyrone)
4.Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone)
5.Tomas O'Se (Kerry)
6.Kieran McGeeney (Armagh)
7.Philip Jordan (Tyrone)
8.Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)
9.Darragh Ó Sé (Kerry)
10.Brian Dooher (Tyrone)
11.Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)
12.Michael Donnellan (Galway)
13.Colm Cooper (Kerry)
14.Peter Canavan (Tyrone)
15.Steven McDonnell (armagh)

honourable mentions:

Ciaran McDonald (Mayo)
Brian McGuigan (Tyrone) (tough to leave him out)
Paul McGrane (Armagh)
Seamus Moynihan (Kerry)
Paddy Bradley,( Derry)
Ciaran Whelan, (Dublin)
Paul Galvin (Kerry)
Oisin McConville (Armagh)
Padraic Joyce (Galway)
Declan Meehan (Galway)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mickey Linden

As soon as I seen this thread I was wondering how long it would take T O Hare to post to get his Benny agrument in :)

Maximus Marillius

No Lockhart, none of the corner backs named could even lace his boots

corn02

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 23, 2009, 03:40:24 PM
D O'Keefe (Kerry)

R McMenamin (Tyrone)
S Moyinhan (Kerry)
A Lynch (Cork)

T O Sé (Kerry)
K McGeeney (Armagh)
P Jordan (Tyrone)

P McGrane (Armagh)
D O Sé (Kerry)

C Cooper (Kerry)
C McDonald (Mayo)
S Cavanagh (Tyrone)

S McDonnell (Armagh)
D Browne (Tipperary)
M Forde (Wexford)

I don't really like that half forward line due to the lack of natural half-forwards. Maybe I'm a bit biased on Stevie but I think you can justify him ahead of Stephen O'Neill. You could argue Canavan should be there though he played his best football in the 1990s. Joyce probably should be there as well. Michael Donnellan at the start of the decade would have been as good as any of O Sé, McGrane and Cavanagh, I went for players who've been about for most of the decade (bar Moyinhan). Marc O Sé would have a big shout ahead of Anthony Lynch. Would have liked to have found a place for Colin Corkery whose one of my favourite footballers. Its all very subjective and something no one's ever going to agree on.

Actually been a while since we had one fo these "bext XV" threads. They're usually done to death on the board over the winter months.

TAC pretty much the exact team I would go for. I would maybe give Cluxton the nod in goals and Joyce would be very, very close to edging out ???

T O Hare

Quote from: Mickey Linden on April 23, 2009, 03:50:02 PM
As soon as I seen this thread I was wondering how long it would take T O Hare to post to get his Benny agrument in :)

First name on the teamsheet ;D ;D stick to giving your crap tips Mickey ;D

TacadoirArdMhacha

Any teams with any Down men on them should be immediately disregarded as preposterous.  :)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

screenexile

Yeah SML deserves a mention, Muldoon, Doherty and P. Bradley!

T O Hare

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 23, 2009, 04:02:35 PM

Any teams with any Down men on them should be immediately disregarded as preposterous.  :)

;D :o :o :o :o :o :D

blewuporstuffed

seems to be a unanimous half back line anyway

T O Sé (Kerry)
K McGeeney (Armagh)
P Jordan (Tyrone)

isnt it good we can all get along ;)

The GAA

Cluxton

O'Se
Canty
Lynch

O'Se
McGeeney
de Paor

McGrane
O'Se

Dooher
Joyce
Cavanagh

McDonnell
Clarke
Cooper

Lockhart never really did it for me i have to say.
coulter? soeone's having a laugh

Mickey Linden

Quote from: T O Hare on April 23, 2009, 04:07:55 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 23, 2009, 04:02:35 PM

;D :o :o :o :o :o :D

Whats the betting T O hare launchs a new thread in a few minutes. Team of the sixties? Picking da and benny in dream teams...Just like Belfast all over again!