I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

T Fearon

The Catholic Church teaches very clearly in its catechism that commission of mortal sin and failure to repent and seek forgiveness means that soul is bound for hell.

Apart from anything else common sense tells me judgement will follow death,and that Jesus came to earth solely to save sinners (otherwise what was the point?)

I accept I may be totally wrong in my beliefs along with billions of others,in which case I have lost nothing anyway.On the other hand if I happen to be right........

heganboy

Quote. Apart from anything else common sense tells me judgement will follow death,and that Jesus came to earth solely to save sinners (otherwise what was the point?)   

Whatever or whomever is telling you this may be many many things, but, please apologize to common sense for bringing that into that debacle of a sentence.

Again with the "otherwise what was the point?" Are you really saying that your entire belief system is for naught if there was any other secondary reason for Jesus' presence on Earth other than solely and only to save sinners?

Again, that has no reflection in Catholic teaching.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Eamonnca1

I think it was the Redemptorist Fathers or something which ran a mission in our parish years ago and they flatly rejected the fire-and-brimstone judgmental god that Tony's espousing. Their message was the god of unconditional love. Tony mustn't have gotten any memos from them. I wonder if he's been sneaking into Prod churches and getting persuaded by their ideas.

T Fearon

https://www.crossway.org/articles/what-did-jesus-teach-about-hell/

I will stick with Jesus' teaching,which is also Catholic (and Protestant) teaching on hell.It could not be clearer.Now delude yourselves and invent your own happy clappy God if you so desire.

heganboy

Your source is a Presbyterian pastor in Pennsylvania.

Mine is Pope Pius encyclical and the opinion of which is Nihil Obstat.

Quote.     NIHIL OBSTAT: I have concluded that the materials
presented in this work are free of doctrinal or moral errors.
Bernadeane Carr, STL, Censor Librorum, August 10, 2004

IMPRIMATUR: In accord with 1983 CIC 827
permission to publish this work is hereby granted.
+Robert H. Brom, Bishop of San Diego, August 10, 2004 

Not to say that you aren't entitled to finding obscure pastors to back up your own personal non Catholic fundamentalism or indeed that they all aren't making it up about this God and Jesus the son thing. However if you're saying that the rules for the game are the Catholic Church, isn't it about time you realized that the moral indignant positions you espouse and the self righteousness are incorrect according to the faith you profess, and not only that, your position on Jesus' presence on Earth is actually heresy?

In fairness though you would be exempt from excommunication from the Catholic Church on the first clause of the "causae excusantes".

You really accept you may be wrong in your beliefs? But yet you hold them up against billions of others, so maybe accept is the wring word.  Billions are wrong on a daily basis. And I know of no religion that sanctions your peculiar interpretation of scripture and catechism which you have now christened common sense.

I hear it is very popular for folks of a certain age born in Armagh to start their own religions when they can't find one sufficiently tuned to their needs. Might I suggest the Bob Jones University for a quick PhD to get you going?  Going back to the thread (I keep trying) i should warn you that the hate filled save ulster from Sodomy thing has been done already.

T Fearon

The pastor uses examples from the gospel on Jesus' own descriptions of hell.All Christian faiths are scripture based! My views are simply informed by the catechism of the Catholic Church,which clearly the highly unattractive location of hell is the destiny of all unrepentant sinners or non believers.

This is not fundamentalism,it is the basic tenet of all Christian faith,informed by the words of Jesus himself,that at the end of life comes judgement.

heganboy

Tony,
let me be very clear, your views as expressed in this thread are contrary to the teachings of the Catholic church and its catechism. You may indeed clearly call yourself a christian, indeed, a fundamentalist christian but those views are simply not catholic.

now we have established that, I go back to my earlier point, surely you can just let two human beings fall in love, be happy, commit to each other and not tell them they are going to hell due to another public example of your (mis) interpretation of the teachings of a religion you profess to follow.

T Fearon

https://www.catholic.com/tract/the-hell-there-is

Catholic doctrine assuredly contains hell.

It is not for me to judge any individual but scripture is clear that homosexuality is sinful and therefore Christians must call it out.

longballin

I dont know why the moderators allow Fearon this outlet for his bile - it is this sort of rhetoric has led young gay people into depression and towards  suicide and that is a fact. Nothing Christian or loving in this fundamentalism - is nasty and hate filled.

Itchy

I don't understand why anyone would care what a fool like Fearon or the child abuse protector organisation he follows think about their sexuality. In fact I for one haven't gone near a church for a decade and still manage to be a decent human without some man in a frock telling me how to be one.

T Fearon

Unfortunately being a decent human being without faith will not get you to heaven,according to scripture.

There are far too many people wishing hell away and expecting churches to tolerate sinfulness under the guise of misplaced compassion.

They cannot act in defiance of scripture.

laoislad

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 09:22:40 AM
Unfortunately being a decent human being without faith will not get you to heaven,according to scripture.

You obviously believe being an arsehole with faith will though....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Itchy

Quote from: T Fearon on December 28, 2017, 09:22:40 AM

There are far too many people wishing hell away and expecting churches to tolerate sinfulness under the guise of misplaced compassion.

They cannot act in defiance of scripture.

If there is a heaven and it is reserved for the likes of you I'd prefer to take my chances elsewhere.

longballin

Gay rights campaigner Andrew Muir on similar fundamentalist homophobia from Ian Paisley jnr, "Our research proves that 29% of young people have actually attempted suicide because of homophobia in society and I think these comments are very concerning".

T Fearon

This is not religious fundamentalism or a crusade against gays.Does pointing out that murder is wrong traumatise murderers? Should we desist from drawing attention to stealing being a sin to preserve the mental health of thieves and robbers?

Christians believe homosexuality is sinful it does not condone any abuse of homosexuals.