Pints in Athlone

Started by Tony Baloney, June 28, 2016, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I have cause to be in Athlone on 6th July so where is the best place(s) for a decent meal and a few pints whilst watching the Euro SF? Staying in a Radisson near some bridge.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Tony Baloney

There must be about 5 "oldest pubs in Ireland" in Ireland. Will give it a go as it doesn't seem to far away.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 28, 2016, 05:57:32 PM
There must be about 5 "oldest pubs in Ireland" in Ireland. Will give it a go as it doesn't seem to far away.
Yeah but the real oldest one is Morrissey's Pub  in Abbeyleix,don't mind that Sean's Bar nonsense... ;)

Spent 6 months in Athlone once,it's a bit of a kip of a town imo but Sean's bar isn't that bad in fairness. You are close enough alright from it at the Radisson.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

I was in it last summer. I loved it. I can't remember seeing a TV. We got food from the restaurant next door delivered. Lovely pint. Stay that side of the river, the other side has some kips
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 28, 2016, 06:10:38 PM
I was in it last summer. I loved it. I can't remember seeing a TV. We got food from the restaurant next door delivered. Lovely pint. Stay that side of the river, the other side has some kips
It was the other side I use to frequent  ;D
The Tack room and Charlie Browns and Bozo's niteclub.

Actually come to think of it I had probably one of the best 6 months of my life there. Met a girl from Mullingar and stayed going out with her for 3 years,thought I was gonna marry her.
Lucky escape....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on June 28, 2016, 06:12:58 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 28, 2016, 06:10:38 PM
It was the other side I use to frequent  ;D
The Tack room and Charlie Browns and Bozo's niteclub.

Actually come to think of it I had probably one of the best 6 months of my life there. Met a girl from Mullingar and stayed going out with her for 3 years,thought I was gonna marry her.
Lucky escape....
I'm there for 1 night with work on a Wednesday night so not planning the same things you were at you filthy hoor.

omaghjoe

I went into a random place a few years ago in Athlone.

Lets just say it was the wrong place, I sat at the bar and ordered a pint. One chap started chatting to me he was fiddlin with a bottle, i said are ye sneakin in half uns.
Nah he says its empty but its my meth bottle anyway... next thing you know another chap approaches and asks aggressively "are you in the guards" Meth bottle man gets him talked down and he starts shakin my hand.

Im sittin there goin WTF? and take a good look around. Alot of very chilled out shady lookin characters about if you now what i mean. I downed the pint and blew town.