The Official Morality Thread

Started by Tony Baloney, August 17, 2012, 12:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

What do youse make of the decision today to refuse this guy the right to die?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19249680

A man paralysed from the neck down has lost his High Court case to allow doctors to end his life without fear of prosecution.

Tony Nicklinson, 58, from Melksham, Wiltshire, communicates by blinking and has described his life as a "living nightmare" since a stroke in 2005.

Mr Nicklinson said he would appeal against the decision.

The case went further than previous challenges to the law in England and Wales on assisted suicide and murder.

Another man, known only as Martin, who is 47, also lost his case to end his life with medical help.

'Misery'
Father-of-two Mr Nicklinson was left paralysed with locked-in syndrome after a catastrophic stroke while on a business trip to Athens.

He said he was "devastated" by the court's decision.

J70

If he has or can raise the cash, he should seek out assisted suicide outside of Britain.

Its a difficult issue all right (only in the sense that it could be corrupted), but no one should have to live like that against their will.

Orior

Adolf Hitler wanted to breed the perfect race, and kill off the sick, wounded etc etc.

Anyway, despite the suffering I dont think I could just terminate anyone's life. But perhaps it is easier for soldiers who are used to pulling the tirgger.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Ridiculous decision! There is no ambiguity around this case the guy may as well be dead and he's a drain on his family and the NHS.

Whatever about the moral argument I think that the world is not black and white and this case on its merits should mean the guy is allowed to die peacefully.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on August 17, 2012, 12:33:29 AM
Adolf Hitler wanted to breed the perfect race, and kill off the sick, wounded etc etc.

Anyway, despite the suffering I dont think I could just terminate anyone's life. But perhaps it is easier for soldiers who are used to pulling the tirgger.
But he is of sound mind and choosing to end it. Hitler's victkmes didnt have a choice. Would agree with J70 but would not like to see any blanket legislation - each case would need judged on its merits otherwise sure to be abused.

Puckoon

I think I've read this sentence a few times but I am struggling to get my head around it. It seems like your saying that you'd acknowledge the suffering they were enduring, but you'd put your own comfort first and not theirs. I'm not having a go or anything but I just find that to be a tough viewpoint to empathise with.

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on August 17, 2012, 12:40:02 AM
Ridiculous decision! There is no ambiguity around this case the guy may as well be dead and he's a drain on his family and the NHS.

I'm not sure the theory that he may be a drain on his family(in your opinion) or the health service should come into as a reason that this guy should be allowed to die.
I agree with Tony insofar as the man is of sound mind and if it's his decision and his alone then yes I agree he should probably be allowed to end his suffering.
What I would be worried about is the precedent this could set and what about those who are both physically and mentally disabled those that can't make such a decision themselves, is it ok to end their life just because they MAY be a burden to their family or the health service?

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

No laoislad, absolutely not and you're absolutely right. If such considerations made their way into the mind of lawmakers it'd be nazism, part deux.

That shouldn't be a factor, but the man should be allowed to die. The right to self determination.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Don't they allow assisted suicide in the Netherlands?  If he could get himself over there he might have a chance.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 17, 2012, 05:01:44 AM
Don't they allow assisted suicide in the Netherlands?  If he could get himself over there he might have a chance.

Think you're getting confused with this place...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignitas_(assisted_dying_organisation)

However, aren't there legal issues about facilitating a person to access this organisation e.g. organising their transport to Switzerland?

deiseach

The judge made the correct decision. The law is unambiguous - if you assist someone in killing themselves, you will be investigated for murder. If you feel sufficiently exercised by this decision, lobby your MP/TD to get the law changed.

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on August 17, 2012, 09:50:09 AM
The judge made the correct decision. The law is unambiguous - if you assist someone in killing themselves, you will be investigated for murder. If you feel sufficiently exercised by this decision, lobby your MP/TD to get the law changed.

Yes currently as the law stands its illegal to assist this man in ending his own life.

legally i'd say this is a mine field to legislate as every case would need reviewed on its own merits for fear of a Harold Shipman type character about signing off people as of sound mind when they're maybe far from it.

imtommygunn

There have been a few interesting cases in England with regard to this. One in particular that stood out was a 23 year old rugby player who got spinal injuries when a scrum collapsed and he was paralysed from the neck down. If I remember rightly the judge was very lenient on the mother in the whole thing.

It's a very difficult circumstance really. You set precedents etc if you allow it but if you don't you have people living in misery so you can't entirely win.

I wouldn't like to be the guy who gives the final injection that's for sure.

tbrick18

Morality and legality don't always go hand in hand.
Morally, yes I think it would be better to let this poor man make his own decision to end his life. It is morally right to let him die on his own terms rather than forcing him to endure a long slow death. The biggest problem with that as I see would be to find someone ethical and capable of assisting him in his task. How would you convince a doctor to do this?

Legally, I think it's wrong and rightly so. If there was a law which permitted assisted suicide in certain circumstances it would open a whole can of worms. There would be extenuating circumstances in some instances and others where the perception of one person may be that it is morally right to end the life of a disabled person and the law could protect them.

There's certainly no right and wrong to this IMO.

If there was any law to come in, it should be one which dictates that such cases should be heard before a judge and that the judge has the legal authority to approve assisted suicide given the evidence supplied. So in this case, a man of sound mind wanting to end his life could be permitted, but someone who is not of sound mind or who's family find it too much of a burden to look after a disabled family member it would not be permitted as it is not within the persons ability to make their own choice.