Boosting - have you ever tried it ?

Started by orangeman, August 23, 2012, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Came across this today - it's amazing what we'll do to perform better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19325756

Has anyone ever tried any of this stuff ?

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: orangeman on August 23, 2012, 04:56:06 PM

I have done it, but not to the extent that the article suggests. Getting punched in the face worked for me when I played rugby at school

Olly

My parents were at that all the time. Before going to mow the lawn, she'd give him an unmerciful boot in the balls and say get out there you lazy bastard. He'd have it done in half the time.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Evil Genius

I've tried it and it often got me on the team when I otherwise wouldn't even have made the subs bench. Unfortunately the effect was only ever temporary.

Wait. I've just read the title again. I thought it said "Boasting".

As it happens, though, I do know someone who tried Boosting. It didn't get him to the Paralympics, but it did get him another £30 pw in his DLA.

And when I say he "tried" Boosting, he didn't actually do it himself, he just had a disagreement with a spide in a pub in Derry over payment for some, er, "supplements".

Anyway, if I was going to try Boosting myself into the Paralympics, I wouldn't go for the Physical stuff - far too painful. No, if pushed, I'd probably try the other side of things:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2004/sep/16/gilestremlett.features11

:o

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Olly on August 23, 2012, 07:23:11 PM
My parents were at that all the time. Before going to mow the lawn, she'd give him an unmerciful boot in the balls and say get out there you lazy b**tard. He'd have it done in half the time.
You see, that's where your oul fella got it wrong.

Whenever my missus used to try to force me to do something about the house, I always did it in twice the time.

I must say, it was painful enough in the oul groin region until she got the message, but worth it in the long run, since I haven't washed a dish or emptied a bin in years.

"No Pain, no Gain, no Testicles"  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eamonnca1

I think you should try it, EG. And do plenty of it so you can research the topic comprehensively.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2012, 07:40:46 PM
I think you should try it, EG. And do plenty of it so you can research the topic comprehensively.
I'd rather shove a bottle up my own arse than mess with Boosting, thanks very much.

Actually, on second thoughts, I'd rather shove one up your arse.

At least that way, we both might get what we want... ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

haranguerer

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 23, 2012, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 23, 2012, 04:56:06 PM

I have done it, but not to the extent that the article suggests. Getting punched in the face worked for me when I played rugby at school

Eh, it only has a beneficial effect if you have a spinal injury

ludermor

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 23, 2012, 07:49:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2012, 07:40:46 PM
I'd rather shove a bottle up my own arse than mess with Boosting, thanks very much.

Actually, on second thoughts, I'd rather shove one up your arse.

At least that way, we both might get what we want... ;)
now that is a strange image!

Lar Naparka

Me oul' fella's football manager was a man ahead of his time.. I'm convinced that quare hawk  knew all about Boosting, body and soul.
The manager, who was also the parish priest, used to get the team to kneel down before the start of a match so he could give them all general absolution.
Not that any of them had done anything wrong and even if they had, they could call to see him during office hours. It wasn't their past misdeeds that concerned him at that time; he was giving them spiritual insurance to free them from the dangers of Mortal Sin when they took the field.
"Retaliate first and often," could well have been his motto!

Invariably the parting admonition to his troops was, "Remember men, ye are from Swinford and if ye come back  in with blood on yeer shirts, let it not be yeer own.!"
Then, having seen to the spiritual side of things, he proceeded to the physical Boosting stage.
He would lead them out  as far as the sideline where he'd lay into them his blackthorn stick as they they ran onto the pitch.
He reckoned that a few whacks of his cudgel was the best way to get the mind focussed and the blood flowing.
(The same Man  of God managed Mayo to their first AI success in '36. Maybe the time has come for James Horan to go out and buy a hefty shillelagh.) ;D
He didn't confine his Boosting techniques to the use of his stick either. Anyone who came close enough might get a fist to the butt of the lug as me dad would put it. And that wasn't the end of it either, as they say.
Legend has it that when he was on top of his form, many a man would have a sore back, a thick ear and a pain in the hole before he came to grips with the enemy. The holy father was also noted for his fancy footwork and could use stick, boot and big toe simultaneously.
The same team never won much, which wasn't a surprise, given that most were well and truly crocked before they made it to the field.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi