Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on December 30, 2016, 07:49:04 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2016, 07:37:43 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 30, 2016, 05:55:50 PM
Main Street, you say it's a work of fiction but surely even in a work of fiction the director should make the film as realistic as possible. Characters speaking the language of the country they're from seems like a pretty basic requirement.
Enemy at the Gates  had mainly Russian and  German characters and you expect as a minimum that the actors speak the language of the country their characters are from  ???

Even when speaking the correct language of the character, did we not have a Michael Collins played by an actor with a strong Dublin accent, Brendan Gleeson? Just because someone from outer Hicksville might be fooled by the main irish character being played by an actor having an irish accent, doesn't fool me. If  authenticity of accent/language mattered so much to you, you would not be able to appreciate many films.
Not many actors have the linguistic authenticity of a Niall Toibin.

No.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0808/807723-brendan-gleeson-is-michael-collins/

mrdeeds

Watched Captain Philips. Good movie with a couple excellent performances. Also watched Green Room which is a violent thriller. However it is excellent.

Boycey

Had the misfortune of watching Bridget Jones baby the other night, sweet Jesus!!

My woman couldn't master Kodi but she's a dab hand with the IPTV player, the quality of films we watch will go down hill sharply..

lurganblue

Let the wife pick the film on our latest cinema trip.  I wanted to go see Sully but no, we ended up at Collateral Beauty (Will Smith and Ed Norton).  Sure didnt she cry throughout the last half of it fs! As chick flicks go, i've seen worse but i would hardly be recommending it.

JoG2

Over Christmas

David Brent - 6/10. Disappointed tbh. Love the show. Not the same without Merchant involved

Deepwater Horizon - 7.5/10. Very good

Sully - 7.5/10. Again, very good

Inferno - 6.5/10. Watchable

Jack Reacher 2 - 6.4 - Decent enough, not as good as the first

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JoG2 on January 05, 2017, 09:43:57 AM
Over Christmas

David Brent - 6/10. Disappointed tbh. Love the show. Not the same without Merchant involved

Deepwater Horizon - 7.5/10. Very good

Sully - 7.5/10. Again, very good

Inferno - 6.5/10. Watchable

Jack Reacher 2 - 6.4 - Decent enough, not as good as the first
Would agree with Deepwater Horizon and Sully. I thought Inferno was pure dung. Don't think I'll bother with Brent.

leenie

Seen la La land , it has all the glitz, old Hollywood, and the last 20mins is quite spectular.. and v good songs but I wouldn't have tipped it for best film oscar.. I thought Denzil's Fences was better.
Also watched young offenders and really enjoyed it, ya can't beat the north cork city accent.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Walter Cronc

Anyone seen Silence or Live by Night??

Orior

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 04, 2017, 10:11:22 PM
Watched Captain Philips. Good movie with a couple excellent performances. Also watched Green Room which is a violent thriller. However it is excellent.

I was puzzled by how easy it was for the pirates to initially board the vessel.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

leenie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 16, 2017, 10:01:14 AM
Anyone seen Silence or Live by Night??

Dubious about live by night ... sienna millar doing a west cork accent ?  :-X
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

ballinaman

Patriots Day - very good. 8/10

The Trap

LA LA LAND- DONT AND I MEAN DONT LET HER TALK YOU INTO IT!

illdecide

Watched the Prisoners last night on TV3...the ending was weird or disappointing or bad or sh1t...the list could go on
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

Free state of Jones. Quite a good show and based on a true story.

mrdeeds

Anyone see Manchester by the Sea. Hearing good reports but mostly from a female perspective.