Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcwregor

Desperate to see the disastrous set ups in the development squads. Very disappointing after the minors doing so well this year.
I do believe that there is massive appetite for hurling in Laois. The 18 odd thousand that turned up for the leinster minor final just shows how willing the ppl of laois are to turn out to support their county. The effort those minor lads put in is further evidence that in a proper set up the players will put their shoulder to the wheel for their county. 160 signed up for the setanta programme is also hugely encouraging. Cumann na mbunscoil is another great success. So we are doing some things right but in a county like laois we need so much more.
So why cant all these valuable components not be moulded together into a masterplan for laois hurling? PJ Kelly is a newly elected Co board Chairman. What will his legacy be at the end of his tenure?? Will he continue on the same amateur organisation that preceded him for years or will he gather some strong minded people with vision for the future.
Where will we be in 10 years time and how are we going to get there? They are the questions that needs to be asked.
We cannot keep going the way we are from year to year hoping that something miraculous will happen.
I believe cheddar is sitting down with the co board this week to discuss next year. The best thing they could do is ask cheddar to move away from the senior team management and start working on the plan for 10 years time.
Finance is always an issue but its one that can be tackled and improved on. Cheddar is an ambitious and intelligent man im sure he would find a way to make it all work with some help from others.
I honestly believe if the county board approached the clubs with a long term plan for laois hurling it would get backing. The clubs need to be brought along in a combined effort to drive everything forward.

Offaly are doing it...why cant we?

burdizzo

Quote from: mcwregor on June 09, 2022, 09:40:28 PM

Offaly are doing it...why cant we?

Because Offaly were used to past successes and see no reason why they can't get it again if they put in the work. I don't think we really and truly believe we'll ever be on that level, because we never have been - at least, not in living memory.

Just wondering - since we got to a minor final this year, are we in the 'A' tier next year at minor?

Great and all as Cheddar is, staying on as senior manager wouldn't be a good idea, either for him or the team. Surely it's not a runner?

Laois man

If he stays on as senior manager there will be no team.

Spiritof86

Cheddar won't be staying on . C B meeting this week to deal with announcements expected . I do hope there is a role somewhere for Cheddar behind scenes but wouldn't hold my breath .

Laois man

Wonder who was approached about the job?

Helix.

Quote from: Laois man on June 12, 2022, 01:51:35 PM
Wonder who was approached about the job?

Official now that Cheddar stepping down. Didn't work out his second term. Took it when not too many wanted it after Eddie Brennan fiasco. Heart in the right place but need a change. Who that is remains to be seen.

Need to come straight back up from Joe McDonagh next year.

Laois man

Best of luck to Cheeder. County board need to get there house in order now and bring in a good management team. If it costs money so be it.

Spiritof86

A Clare man the front runner apparently and it's not Davy Fitz .

Laois man

The birr manager at the moment??

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Giovanni

Maybe Eamon O Shea could be sounded out? He would quickly eradicate some of the crazy stuff we were doing in the last couple of years.

Spiritof86

Who's on this 4 person committee tasked in appointing a new manager?

clonadmad

Quote from: Giovanni on June 20, 2022, 06:31:57 PM
Maybe Eamon O Shea could be sounded out? He would quickly eradicate some of the crazy stuff we were doing in the last couple of years.

Was sounded out for the Galway job before Shefflin got it

He's living in galway and wasn't interested

Extremely unlikely he'd have any interest in the Laois role

Best we can hope for is a young hungry coach similar to Eddie Brennan,Bugler and Lyng being 2 options

Spiritof86

Affordability will also be a factor . The likes of Fitzy, McGrath and O'Shea would be way over our financial budget . Young , progressive and forward planning as the previous poster alluded to is the way to go.
Diarmuid Mullins would be interesting but he seems tied down within the Limerick set-up . Two wild cards would be Stephen Molumphy from Waterford  and Fergal Lynch from Clare .

marty34

Quote from: Spiritof86 on June 23, 2022, 07:10:14 PM
Affordability will also be a factor . The likes of Fitzy, McGrath and O'Shea would be way over our financial budget . Young , progressive and forward planning as the previous poster alluded to is the way to go.
Diarmuid Mullins would be interesting but he seems tied down within the Limerick set-up . Two wild cards would be Stephen Molumphy from Waterford  and Fergal Lynch from Clare .

Is Molumphy not currently with Kerry?