Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost soul 2

Great get win,players really dug it out,Antrim didn't help themselves with all wides and didn't make many overlaps with extra man.still not convinced on half back line,Purcell put in great shift.would love to see a full press up on Dublin next day out.keyes is really laying down a marker.be great to see Corby get full run out against Dublin too

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Jd on March 07, 2022, 01:08:57 PM
While we talk about indiscipline I think that because it's a laois player then refs are more inclined to give a red. Take Jack Kelly's pull..... If a tipp or kk or limerick player did it would it be a straight red?? Gearoid Heagarty pulled twice across a clare man's head and still only got a second yellow. Smaller teams get harsher punishments I feel. As a further point how many times did laois players get shoulders to the head yesterday with no sanction. I counted at least 3 which were worthy of reds in my opinion

Not sure I would agree to be honest. If you are caught pulling across a players chest with a hurley at any level, club or county, it is probably going to be a deserved red card. Especially when the match is on telly, and especially in the league. Limerick have got their fair share of reds this year for pulling on lads. Completely accept that it is not always punished consistently but if you pull across someone, but it is highly likely that you are going to the line no matter what county you are from. Jack Kelly seemed to know himself yesterday that he was in trouble. 

Giovanni

Yes, the point is that in both Paddy's case and in Jack's (I didn't see Conroy's), there didn't seem to be any obvious reason why they would use the hurl like that. Sometimes lads are provoked or whatever but in those two cases, it really couldn't be justified (unless I was missing something). To me, it shows that something is not quite right in lad's heads which I also think is linked to the various collapses that we've already seen this year.

mcwregor

This was some win. Massive credit has to go to the players and management here. Morale must have been on the floor after the waterford and kilkenny games and to put in that performance with a man down for 50 minutes is really impressive. It  shows the commitment these lads have for laois hurling and the resolve they have when all seems lost.
A few points to note.
1. I really cant understand why we were getting such hammerings. I suggested before that these lads are a lot better than that. Other lads on here said that we were below Antrims level. I totally disagree with that. Antrim were hugely competitive against dublin, kk and waterford so why were we not? I think this needs to be really looked at and collectively the team and management need to identify why it happened and make sure that it doesnt happen again. We put in a savage performance against a far stronger waterford team in the championship last year.
2. The sending offs obviously are not helping. This needs to be addressed asap. We simply cannot afford it and got away with it on Sunday. Any minor thing off the ball now is a red and we need to wise up this, there is no excuse for it. We must get into the mind set of ball ball ball all the time.
3. Antrim were poor, really poor but for a change we appeared to be better set up that our opponents and used the ball far better. We need to hone in on this and be sure that we are giving ourselves a chance of winning games.
4. More Antrim support than laois. Really disappointed that we cant get some bit of a crowd at our home games. When we are going well the laois people will turn out but after the last couple of matches have turned people off going. There should be a drive now to get a big crowd for the first round of the championship. Hurling clubs should be taking buses of kids to play challenge games and then going on to the laois match afterwards. The Co board along with laois gaels need to reach out to the clubs and pull in their support for this. The players are putting in massive efforts its the least they deserve

Zooming around

Along with the red cards I feel another area we need to focus on is our frustration. Watching the games, some of our players (both hurling and football) argue with every single decision made. This is just using up mental energy and leads to loss of focus. I doubt very much we'll ever see a situation where the ref will say "Jayz, do you know what Willy you're right, That WAS a wrong decision. I'll give it the other way".

Get on with the decision regardless of what it is. Keep the concentration. Focus on the next ball only.

Giovanni

Quote from: mcwregor on March 08, 2022, 08:58:08 AM
This was some win. Massive credit has to go to the players and management here. Morale must have been on the floor after the waterford and kilkenny games and to put in that performance with a man down for 50 minutes is really impressive. It  shows the commitment these lads have for laois hurling and the resolve they have when all seems lost.
A few points to note.
1. I really cant understand why we were getting such hammerings. I suggested before that these lads are a lot better than that. Other lads on here said that we were below Antrims level. I totally disagree with that. Antrim were hugely competitive against dublin, kk and waterford so why were we not? I think this needs to be really looked at and collectively the team and management need to identify why it happened and make sure that it doesnt happen again. We put in a savage performance against a far stronger waterford team in the championship last year.
2. The sending offs obviously are not helping. This needs to be addressed asap. We simply cannot afford it and got away with it on Sunday. Any minor thing off the ball now is a red and we need to wise up this, there is no excuse for it. We must get into the mind set of ball ball ball all the time.
3. Antrim were poor, really poor but for a change we appeared to be better set up that our opponents and used the ball far better. We need to hone in on this and be sure that we are giving ourselves a chance of winning games.
4. More Antrim support than laois. Really disappointed that we cant get some bit of a crowd at our home games. When we are going well the laois people will turn out but after the last couple of matches have turned people off going. There should be a drive now to get a big crowd for the first round of the championship. Hurling clubs should be taking buses of kids to play challenge games and then going on to the laois match afterwards. The Co board along with laois gaels need to reach out to the clubs and pull in their support for this. The players are putting in massive efforts its the least they deserve

Excellent post.

Home Boys Home

In fairness to Jack Kelly I thought there was a pretty dirty belt aimed at him as he soloed through. He blocked off the belt with his hurl and then retaliated. Still no excuse and he let the team down, but I'm sure he knows that himself.

Personally I would like to see Ryan Mullaney restored to centre back with Jack Kelly and Podge as the half backs. Also Ross is best at 14 I think. 

blueandwhite1

Just offering an opinion on this. We just have to be near our best to be competitive with the bigger teams. Despite the close result, we were poor against Tipp. None of the forwards could score from very scorable positions - lads that would normally do much better. Tipp were poor too and the conditions were horrendous so we didn't get a hammering. Against Waterford, we also really struggled to get scores, and couldn't win a ball in the air or on the ground. The backs and midfield were chasing shadows and really suffering from winning no primary possession against arguably the best team in the country at the moment. Our half back line - as has been pointed out here a number of times, lacks the mobility for tracking players when we are cut open. KK was the same story. Couldn't score in the first half when we had the ball and couldn't win the ball in the second half.

I think that when we play well we are better than Antrim and can be competitive. I don't think we were better than them on Sunday, we simply got the scores when it mattered. For long spells, they won every puck out. Antrim regularly cut us open and had a huge number of wides. The sending off didn't help but we are going to lose a lot of games badly if we can't win possession. Our half forward line has been weak in the air for years. You can't 'create' players to fix this but you can change how you play (KK and Wexford for example crowd the middle on puck outs). For sure, pucking it to the corner back and trying to solo past a corner forward is not the answer. The positive thing for me is that more Laois players played well than in previous matches this year, especially in the forwards. There is also a bit more bite than we have seen. However, to be successful we need everyone playing to 100% of their capability, a better defensive balance and a better shape for winning possession. IMHO.

Robbo

Quote from: Zooming around on March 08, 2022, 10:16:12 AM
Along with the red cards I feel another area we need to focus on is our frustration. Watching the games, some of our players (both hurling and football) argue with every single decision made. This is just using up mental energy and leads to loss of focus. I doubt very much we'll ever see a situation where the ref will say "Jayz, do you know what Willy you're right, That WAS a wrong decision. I'll give it the other way".

Get on with the decision regardless of what it is. Keep the concentration. Focus on the next ball only.

You're probbaly right for most players but some need to play on that edge. Yeah, referees dont change there mind but it def didnt do willie dunphy any harm at the weekend. he gave out constantly but was brilliant.

Quote from: Home Boys Home on March 08, 2022, 11:25:29 AM

Personally I would like to see Ryan Mullaney restored to centre back with Jack Kelly and Podge as the half backs. Also Ross is best at 14 I think. 

Agree completely about Ryan. He's doing ok on the wing but it doesnt suit him. Think we're weaker without him at centreback.

I think Ross might be better midfield. If he's in the full-forward line he's going to be outnumbered 2:3 more often that not. Id prefer to leave likes of dunphy and maybe Cha inside where they can physically make a difference.

King and Purcell midfield would be my ideal set-up. Kelly to half-back and fennell competing with conway and hartnett for corner back spots.

burdizzo

I don't know if there was more Antrim support, but they certainly made themselves heard when they got the goal. I suppose the fact the match was on TG4 meant a lot of people just watched it at home? I know it's a bit lame, but that's what happens. Personally, I thought it was nice sunning meself on the terrace! That stand is as cold as anywhere...

Yes, Antrim weren't great. They should have won that, but fair dues to the lads. Obviously the game they were waiting for!

Tell me - what was the story w/ McManus throwing himself on the ground near the end?! Looking for a free no doubt! I'll never forget him getting some Wexford lad put off last year with his histrionics. What a pup!

redsetanta

Dublin put up some score in the first half.

Laois battled gamely with some lovely scores but they never got close enough.

Eventful afternoon for Cha.

Hard to know what to expect from the championship but can't see us making a big impact.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Ah, it was really a game of no consequence. Jordan Walshe seemed to do quite well, but I don't know how many others of the 'fringe players' put their hands up, as they say. It'd be nice to spring a surprise somewhere, and Dublin look the most likely, but the only game we can be expected to win is the Westmeath one. Losing that would be dire - and we nearly lost to them last year in the play-off, and all!

town1980

We won a cup with Eddie celebrated like it meant something what cheddar has done is better it's like Laois ballers celebrating div 4 football both laughable been honest

burdizzo

What are you on (about)?!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: town1980 on April 03, 2022, 11:51:42 PM
We won a cup with Eddie celebrated like it meant something what cheddar has done is better it's like Laois ballers celebrating div 4 football both laughable been honest

Go away with your indecipherable babble.