Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbo

Think if we had an outside manager there would be lot of people calling for a change.
Something isn't working. We all know that this league is going to be very tough but that's a worrying scoreline.

Helix.

Quote from: Robbo on February 13, 2022, 04:18:59 PM
Think if we had an outside manager there would be lot of people calling for a change.
Something isn't working. We all know that this league is going to be very tough but that's a worrying scoreline.

That's a disgraceful score line. No 2 ways about it.

Lost soul 2

Shocking,carved open thru the centre to easily,hard watch.need a big man on half forward line too.hard take positives out of it

burdizzo

I assume they wouldn't have been targeting this game, so hopefully in the middle of real tough training spell. Or something. Still and all - embarrassing.

blueandwhite1

Shocking. All the main damage done within 5 minutes in the first half.

Half back line, except Podge, too immobile. Someone said it last week that we cant afford 3 natural slowish centre backs on the same line. Maybe stick Fonzy into centre forward where he can win a few balls, Mullaney centre back where he is at his best with Jack Kelly and Podge on the wings. Wouldn't have been enough today as we were wide open everywhere.

Forwards missing easy chances again. Good to see PJ back.

Laoisred

Poor stuff. Laois far more competitive in the league under Brennan and Eamonn Kelly. Yes Kelly. I remember going and seeing decent performances away to Limerick in 2018 (who went on to win All Ireland), home to Galway under lights a few weeks later ( All Ireland champions at the time) when they should have beaten them. Good pattern to their play and very competitive. Yes the Joe McDonagh was poor under him but Laois have been decent enough in the League for the past 5/6 years. At least competitive, this was terrible. A big reaction needed by the entire group the next day out.

town1980

Simple as we are shocking yee can dress it up all you want were a small county with nothing to add for the future 7-31 🤦‍♂️

Unlaoised

I left early cuuldnt watch it after 15 mins of the second half .

Truth is we will never ever compete with the big 9 as I call them .

Wins over Westmeath Kerry Carlow Kildare Meath etc is our level .

We might beat Antrim 1 game in 3 and maybe catch a team like Dublin or wexford if they were very below par but that's where we will always be at in the small.ball game.

You can blame Cheddar or who you like but it's just not in this county we dont have the pool of players to pick from
LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

It's very easy to come on here being critical after a heavy beating but I don't agree that we don't have the players to be competitive or that we'll never have them.

I must say I don't like the current management team continually talking about "the gap". I don't see how this serves any purpose. Eddie Brennan wasn't talking about the gap - he had lads going out there fighting like dogs and being fully invested in the project. We are a small county with a limited supply of players so it's especially important that each one of them is fully primed at all times.

I wasn't at the game yesterday so I don't know what happened. However, just a week earlier, most of the Laois backs were very good indeed against Tipperary so it's not just about the quality of the players.

You'd like to see a proper reaction against Kilkenny next day out. If we don't see that, then questions will certainly be asked about the management.

Joeythelips

All teams have bad days out, fair enough this was what seems like 7 or 8 mins of total collapse, but no point beating the lads over it as no one will feel as bad about such a beating as they will. They have to move on and learn from it, its up to them to show us what tehy are made of the next day out against Kilkenny. I would be equally concerned about the discipline of yet another sending off, as at this level you cannot afford it.

redsetanta

Laois actually competed well enough for the first 20/30 mins but once Waterford hit their stride and went for the goals we were gone.

It was a bad day no doubt but it's been a long time since we took that sort of trimming.

Although missing a few it wasn't a bad team that started but there were lot's of little mistakes, bad passing, fumbling etc.

What changes if any should be made for the KK game?

Purcell back but Conroy gone. Bar PJ Scully I can't see anyone making a huge difference.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

Maybe not so much in terms of personnel but some of the positional changes suggested by Blueandwhite above might make a big difference.

Laois Rising

Unfortunately other counties will have taken note of Laois' frailties when players with power and pace run at them. The red sea didn't open up as quick for Moses as the Laois defence did on Sunday for the Waterford players. A rethink of our defensive strategy is required. As the ground hardens up, you'd be fearful of even more damage being inflicted.

Lost soul 2

Conroy out with cruciate,I don't think cheddar will change fonsey out of centre back which is shame,jack Kelly does need go wing back,tracking runners is not his strong suit.we need few more doggers in forwards,all like it nice and handy up there bar Willie dunphy in my opinion.

Laois man

Has Conroy done his Cruciate?