Laois Intermediate Football Championship 2022

Started by SCFC, August 08, 2022, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Didn't see a thread.

Looks like The Heath's to lose but I suppose the likes of Crettyard, Timahoe and Mountmellick have all come down from senior in recent years and failed to bounce straight back so they'd want to avoid complacency.

Quarter finals are Ballyroan Abbey v Mountmellick and Timahoe v Arles Kilcruise with Crettyard and The Heath waiting for the winners in the semis.

The Rock v O'Dempseys in the relegation final. I suppose The Rock should edge that but wouldn't be too sure.

Laois Rising

Hopefully the intermediate championship can be revamped soon. It needs to be a 12 team competition with a least 8/9 first team club teams involved. It would improve the quality of the championship immensely. If I had a choice, I would rather my club be competitive challenging for a county title at intermediate level rather than hoping just to avoid relegation from the Laois senior championship year on year. Whose knows, with a strong intermediate county championship winning side there is a possibility of a Leinster title and an All-Ireland Final appearance in Croke Park. Winning championship matches and making a county final really brings a feel good factor to a parish/community. Look at the last few Leinster winning sides from Meath, Wexford, Louth, Kildare-with a slightly better club side coming out of Laois, we would be there or thereabouts for winning these titles.

SCFC

Quote from: Laois Rising on August 08, 2022, 11:50:14 AM
Hopefully the intermediate championship can be revamped soon. It needs to be a 12 team competition with a least 8/9 first team club teams involved. It would improve the quality of the championship immensely. If I had a choice, I would rather my club be competitive challenging for a county title at intermediate level rather than hoping just to avoid relegation from the Laois senior championship year on year. Whose knows, with a strong intermediate county championship winning side there is a possibility of a Leinster title and an All-Ireland Final appearance in Croke Park. Winning championship matches and making a county final really brings a feel good factor to a parish/community. Look at the last few Leinster winning sides from Meath, Wexford, Louth, Kildare-with a slightly better club side coming out of Laois, we would be there or thereabouts for winning these titles.

Wouldn't disagree with that. I'd go 8 first teams in senior, 8 first teams in intermediate and 8 first teams in junior. The rest of the first teams in junior B or C.
Then a senior B or senior reserve (whatever you want to call it) for the strongest 8 second teams. And two more championships for the rest of the second teams.

The PRO

Ballyroan Abbey v Mountmellick - Mountmellick by 3
Timahoe v Arles Kilcruise - could be close - Arles by 1
The Rock v O'Dempsey's - I'm hearing O'Dempsey's aren't overly concerned about staying up so The Rock by 4

Spiritof86

Downtheroad

Quote from: Laois Rising on August 08, 2022, 11:50:14 AM

Considering the standard of the 8 team competition, hard to see how 12 will improve things. The opposite I would think if the relegation match this evening is to go by.  Imagine O'Dempseys 2nd team or the Rock playing against any of the 4 teams in the senior relegation.

The PRO

I was there too. Dreadful game. The Rock were just so, so poor without the O'Neill chap. Victor Oladapu tried very hard for them - he's a good chap.
Good achievement by O'D's to keep second team up intermediate. Big Dan is a big loss to their seniors. He offers something different.

redsetanta

Good win for Arles over Timahoe. Ross and David Conway to the fore. I think Ross scored about 1-08.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix.

Quote from: redsetanta on August 22, 2022, 09:49:30 AM
Good win for Arles over Timahoe. Ross and David Conway to the fore. I think Ross scored about 1-08.

They'll give Crettyard a good game the next day. Mountmellick seem to be improving game on game and will be well up for the match vs The Heath.

SCFC

Final tonight. Heath should win it but if Arles kept it tight and won a close game, it wouldn't be a huge shock either!

Robbo

Heath should win but be nervous about couple of there forwards. Think there backs will keep it tight and they have pace to allow themselves defend with a lot of space around them.

Arles can only win if its tight and low scoring and I think it will be. But still think treacys will be celebrating tonight.

Heshs Umpire

Really expected The Heath to go well in Leinster. Just goes to show the value of a home draw in those games. Hopefully there isn't a repeat for Port tomorrow.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Laois Rising

It also re emphasises the need to revamp our intermediate championship. Sending our 17th rank team to compete isn't doing us any favours in the Leinster intermediate championship.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Laois Rising on October 25, 2022, 03:48:02 PM
It also re emphasises the need to revamp our intermediate championship. Sending our 17th rank team to compete isn't doing us any favours in the Leinster intermediate championship.
Wouldn't disagree with that. Offaly's 9th ranked team (Bracknagh) were in the same competition. Same as Fenagh in Carlow.

Might be OK for bigger, mainly one code counties to send their 13th or 17th ranked team like Kildare, Meath, Kilkenny do, but it isn't doing us any favours.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore