St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

FermGael

Could any of you kind sligo folk give me directions to the pitches at sligo it coming from enniskillen?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: FermGael on February 19, 2010, 06:28:04 PM
Could any of you kind sligo folk give me directions to the pitches at sligo it coming from enniskillen?

If your coming from enniskillen youll obviously be coming through manorhamilton to glencar. Its easy to find, basically you will see the IT to your right hand side when you enter Sligo, and when you reach the petrol station on the corner of the crossroads at the traffic lights go straight through and turn right into the IT the pitch is easy to see. The IT is directly opposite the hospital.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

FermGael

SLIGONIAN

It was 29 degrees today, but overnight cools of 19 degrees, havent seen a cloud in a while...sorry fermgael im in Dubai, couldnt resist. :)

What game is it your heading to, our u21s against yeres? Give a report if it, thanks..

FermGael

Yes its the under 21 game.i am not heading but the father is.will be chatting him when i get home later/tomorrow and will post then

magpie seanie

Weather in Sligo last few days - Its fairly cold here the last few days but reasonably dry. Below zero at night and about 4 dgrees during the day. Would expect that pitch was/is sound.

magpie seanie

Well club scene is back on the go on one of the coldest days I was ever at a match. Our seniors got the win against a strong Johns team in Cuilbeg. In the other game in that group Tourlestrane and Ballymote drew. Curry took the spoils against Geevagh. In the Kiernan Cup Mary's took care of Drumcliff and Molaise had too much for Harps seconds. Tubber and Shamrock Gaels drew and Easkey beat Castelconnor by 2. Calry and Enniscrone had wins in the Benson Cup as did Michaels who gave Pats bit of a thumping. Owenmoresider will no doubt be happy with an encouraging win to open their season.

Our juniors play our counterparts in Molaise Gaels tomorrow. It will be cold and most probably a draw.

SLIGONIAN

Sligo U21s 1-9 Fermanagh U21s 1-6

The lads are telling me Louth last weekend were very good at u21 but still . At least we may not be completely disillusioned going into the Galway game.

Cadbury Leinster U21FC
Westmeath 1-6 Kildare 0-6
Louth 4-16 Wexford 0-8 worth noting.

Good win in the kiernan cup for us.

FermGael

Was chatting the father last night.
Said firstly was an awful night for football.
Said from a Sligo point of view they had a couple of good forwards.  Defence was good as well.
They were 6 or 7 points up at one stage but said they sat back and defended the lead and let Fermanagh back into it.
Fermanagh would have a decent enough team here.  Alot of the St Michael's teams that have been competitive at McRory level over the past 2-3 years. 
Said the referee was not good and thats very unlike him to criticize a referee.

Westie

Lads and Lassies - I would like to start a discussion to see if it is just me(and my club) that think there is something very wrong with the proposed Connacht centre of excellence.
My thoughts are
-. Each county should have their own centre of excellence that allows football, hurling(hurling wall), handball and I know they play it in Bunninadden rounders for both men and women. Would €1m cover it, probably.
- now in Connacht, Galway have theirs in Loughgeorge, Leitrim have the land bought, we have land bought(?) and Roscommon I believe have something themselves. Mayo are spending on McHale park.
- In the papers last week the GAA announced their grants for the year. Ballyhaunis got a grant. The Co. council proposal is being considered which is also in Ballyhaunis.
- the last cost I heard for the co. council one was 10m
- would it not be better served to all in Connacht who play GAA games to give 1m to each county to develop their grounds and 1m to their clubs (each county).
- with Ballyhaunis getting it's own grant (and I have no problem with that) and then a grant for a white elephant in the same town, who is gaining, Prenty and his ego and Mayo also.
- when the one in Sligo is developed does anyone see us going to Ballyhaunis - - I know we won't

So I think it should be stopped and give the money to the clubs and counties rather than build a monstrosity. I hope our new Connacht council delegates can get this stopped. I have been going to co board meetings for a while now and I know the first I heard about this was when I read about it in the Western People and the next time was at convention this year when Joe Queenan brought it up. I have completed the survey that Connacht council sent out but I reckon it will be binned .

What do ye think or do ye care (ye might if 1m was split between the 26 clubs in the county)

SLIGONIAN

To be honest this is old news and Ive made my feeling very clear on it, there was a thread on the Connacht one in the gaa discussion one. 10 million euro is crazy and a waste, I was proposing 2 million for each county in Connacht instead. Simple as that. I was glad to see our county training ground mentioned and St Molaises Gaels aswell in the recent GAA funding proposal of the 35 million. Hope its a substantial amount of money.

SLIGONIAN

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13486.0

FYI Westie, the thread on the Connacht Centre but beware the usual shite talk from our neighbours is prevalant.

magpie seanie

While John Prenty is there then you're wasting your time even talking about Connacht Council and the right/fair thing to do and that's no offence to the good fellas that are involved in it.

SLIGONIAN

Connacht College A Semi final

Summerhill 3-7 ST Muirdeachs 0-11 AET

Things starting to taking shape at underage level. It was comfortable in the end for summerhill but they showed plenty of character in this match. The 1st half was very cagey, Summerhill are very physical side, big strong men with plenty of footballing ability. The first score of the match was a cracking move with great interplay and long range passing with excellent left foot finish for a goal to put summerhill 1-0 ahead. Summerhill missed a fair few chances at the start and lacked composure shooting, also decision making in front of goal was frustrating when better options were available. Muirdeachs eventually came into it and got 3 points and summerhill edged ahead 1-1 to 0-3 at HT. It was low scoring, but summerhill forwards were showing well for the ball, our defence tackled hard throughout and there was nothing easy out there. Summerhill got first score of 2nd half and then missed a hatful of chances for points, it was strange this team has everything but the finish and really never punished muirdeach when we dominating midfield. Muirdeach had a purple patch then and went 0-9 to 1-2 ahead with 5 pts in row. But when the summerhill forwards decided to stop self destructing we got a goal and point in the last 5 mins to level to force ET 2-3 to 0-9. The equaliser was a great full length of field move with Niall collery I think no15 getting on the end of it from near the sideline to slot over a great finish. He was the main threat all day for us showing well and eventually found his range with a few impressive scores. In ET summerhill dominated once again and started to pick off scores witj no 13 getting a few. We ran out easy winners. Muirdeachs were very reliant on no 10 and 11, summerhill no 6 ,11, 13, 15 were outstanding and midfield too. The summerhill subs did very well. I was really impressed with the workrate and tackling from the front. Also the moves and overlapping intensity out of defence created lots of space. Foot passing was excellent. Our lads really need to work on the final third shooting, we always better than muirdeachs but found ourselves 4 pts down and against others might not comeback and really if we'd have lost it would of been self destruction. Charlie and liam og on the sideline never panicked and made the right switches too with our half backs really helped our cause, brought on subs that made big impacts. Well done and plenty to improve on as muirdeachs were poor and id expect gerards or colmans to be better. Good luck in the final.

Plenty of strong talented players coming through. Seen Bernard there and theres alot of options for him for sure.

SLIGONIAN

Just something really that needs to said, my club St Molaise Gaels, were playing drumcliffe, on sat, one of our player a 17 yr old was tracking the drumcliffe player with the ball, and the drumcliffe player swung his elbow back with ref 10 yards away and no one blocking his view, and knocked our player unconcious a small meelee ensued where wilson was pushed into the the fence and missed the a steel pole by about 2 inches with his head..

What happens the ref plays on. >:(, now had I been our manager I would of conceded the match and walked off, for if a ref shows as BLANTANT a disregard to player safety then whats the point. Nothing done, our young player was dazed but eventually played on as we had no subs. But he obviously had headache and hope he recovered soon after. I watched K Fitzgerald get away with a striking out yday which no one can say the ref didnt see in club semi. Some Refs are dangerous and shouldnt be let have a whistle.